The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Jolly Roger's Cloth of Invisibility » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Just received my lecture notes. I too had trouble following the notes - but I think I get the gist of it. Has anyone made this up yet and used it? It's a clever idea but I'm not sure of the practicality of it. Please PM if you have any thoughts on this.
Mark
DeWayne
View Profile
Veteran user
Greencastle, PA
361 Posts

Profile of DeWayne
Ditto on the hard to understand part. I had to read them three times before they started making sense. Seems like the "details" are missing. I did enjoyed the "inspirational" paragraphs in the notes more than the 3 effects themselves.

-DeWayne
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3471 Posts

Profile of Julie
Keeblem

For the record, I have seen Jolly Roger perform his "levitation" more than once and it even fools magicians. It is practical in that it's easy to set-up, easy to construct, requires only one person and is not hard to transport!

Julie
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
I think the Hard to understand part is due to the fact we didn't see the lecture. The notes were written in lecture style, i.e. you saw me do the trick here's the gist. I spent some time playing with it last night and even just using my mock up of the effect it really looks fantastic! Once you start messing around with the bits and pieces it really does make a lot more sense and becomes very easy to understand. It is a true packs small plays huge illusion. A heck of a lot easier to lug around than a chair suspension and IMO at least twice as spectacular. It's a great trick!

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4322 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Can someone tell me what exactly the levitation looks like? Roger's "in a nut shell" thing wasn't very detailed. This isn't being shipped to me till the 18th and I would just like to know what it looks like.
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1142 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
When I first got the notes, I was unclear about several things regarding the levitation/invisibilation (to coin a phrase). A couple of pictures and some dimentions would clear all the questions up. But I PM'ed Roger and he was very helpful in answering my questions. Like "How tall is the stool?"

I've not had time to play around with this yet, but I'm hopeful it will look as good as everyone is saying.

Scott
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1630 Posts

Profile of Futureal
What are the guidelines on this site about posting commercial messages? Seems like there are a few people who post blatant advertisements on here.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2006-09-03 01:32, Futureal wrote:
What are the guidelines on this site about posting commercial messages? Seems like there are a few people who post blatant advertisements on here.

Jolly Roger is a paid advertiser here.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1877 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Ok JR, I sent you my $25! Note: I PMed you the correct address, since I PayPaled you the old one by mistake.
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
C.K., not sure if you noticed it or not but Jolly is out of town until September 18th.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1877 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Smile As my son would say: ohhhhh nooooooo!
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1654 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Hello Folks,

I am just off the plane from South America, and catching up on stuff. All orders outstanding for my products will be shipped tomorrow(Monday). Interesting to read the various reviews of my lecture notes, most of which I am glad to see are positive. As has been pointed out, these were notes to acompany my Blackpool lecture, and were never originally meant to be sold separately. I am only selling them to people on the Café, as I had so many requests. Any of you who have bought them and find anything unclear, can IM me, and I will walk them through it.

I would also like to thank those of you who have emailed me with rave reviews about the cloth of invisibility and Ridiculous Ravioli. I know many of you are now using these great items in your shows.

It's good to be back on the Café! I realise that my banner ad must have run out while I was away, so I will renew it shortly!! Roger
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1877 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
First, Skip:

Don't read this, don't buy this! *G* Spend your hard earned cash elswhere - please!

All others:
I would like to say I was skeptical. I don’t know Roger, and well, he seemed to have a lot of detractors who hadn’t even seen the material. I though, well, it is only 25 bucks, so I bought it. . . .

JR I just got your notes. I must say, I am very impressed. I didn't have any problem understanding them, but it appears we have a simular performing style. All this about the cloth of invisibility . . . nothing much written here in this thread about your other routines. I have been doing a simular routines to your PB & C, and I will be combining the ideas. I know this is a killer because I have been having kids scream to it for well over 10 years . . . and now it is better. The Magician's washing machine looks great too, and now I can get out a prop that has been on a shelf a long time.

The cloth of invisibility . . . well I think it is wonderful. I am modifying it a bit, but it is a gem for the entertainer. Some will not like it because it is low tech, and requires, god forbid, acting - as does the others. None of these are flashy routines, but they all inexpensive workhorses that I can say they are guaranteed to be hits with the kids - if you have a lick of sense on how to get kids excited. I am afraid some magicians that have the "I am a MAGICIAN" attitude may not like these. They all require being an entertainer as opposed to being a "Box Operator". All of these routines keep the kids believing the magic (and fun) is in YOU as opposed to the props. There is a lot to be said about nice props - but that pales to good entertaining.

I have nearly 300 magic videos, I don't have any idea how many books, booklets and lecture notes, a storage shed and two large rooms for props. This is the best children's routine material I have seen - by a good shot. This is the best spent $25 in my 15 years of pro magic. Thanks JR.

This is an unsolicited endorsement - I have not been paid - but I am willing to accept cash!
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1654 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Thank you so much, Captain Kid, for that endorsement! Wow! I am quite humbled! Since I originally posted this thread, I have found that the response has been really interesting. I have had so many wonderful comments from the professionals, and those who I suspect don't fully understand what entertaining children is really all about, just don't get it! Let me know, Captain, if ever you need any help with anything. After all, if Jolly Roger can't help Captain Kid, surely the world of pirates would sink on the high seas!!
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1877 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
JR, Thanks, I am happy to help, but I would never had said it if I didn't mean it. These routines are inexpensive, and they all are gems.

Back when I was a kid in Alaska, I used to go fishing at this river that was back-to-back tourists. I would pull my limit in red salmon in about two hours, often getting more than the 30 or so other fishermen I could see, together. Each time I pulled one in, someone would take my spot - thinking it was a good spot.

I was poor, and made my own lures. I pounded down some old copper tubing, drilled holes for a hook & swivel ect. Everyone else used store purchased lures. After I pulled my limit I would sell my lures for $10 each, and generally sold out. I also invited myself to dinner with the tourist family that had the prettiest daughters and was always welcomed like a hero by the father *L*. Of course, instead of a bottle of wine, I'd bring a fresh sockeye salmon. This was in the early to mid 70's, and that was some serious dough. Why did mine work so well? They were designed to catch fish, not fishermen.

Anyway, these routines are designed to entertain kids, not magicians. They are not as interesting to magicians as the latest craze, but they "catch fish". I think these routines will sell well if you have them on a DVD being performed in a real party. I think that some will need to see them in action to "get it", reading lecture notes or even attending a lecture may not be enough. Personally, that is fine with me! I plan to put versions of them all into a library show I am having taped next month, I’ll send you a copy.
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1654 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
"Anyway, these routines are designed to entertain kids, not magicians. They are not as interesting to magicians as the latest craze, but they "catch fish"."

Very Interesting, Captain! You are a wise man. I am in the process of producing a DVD which includes a live performance of Cloth of Invisibilty, Ridiculous Ravioli and other commercial and original routines. I will keep you posted. I look forward to seeing a copy of you library show, and thank you for that in advance.
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
Sounds like great stuff, just paypal'd and looking forward to receiving my copy!
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1654 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Thanks John. The notes will be shipped off today. I have to advise anyone else wishing to purchase these notes that I do not have many copies left......and when they are gone they are gone! If you are new to this thread, I suggest you read the whole thing and you will see that the true professionals are the ones who are loving this stuff! Many thanks for all the kind words. My whole philosophy on entertaining children is very different to what is often considered norm. Creativity, Originality, a Sense of Wonder, Silliness, Lots of bits of business, and Theatrical content are all vital ingredients in my shows. They have also served me will in a lifetime entertaining children all over the planet!

Incidently, all the above ingredients are included in Jolly Roger's Ridiculous Ravioli. This is my favorite effect ever in over 40 years entertaining children! See my banner ad for details!
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1654 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
I only have six sets of notes left............then they will be gone for ever!
Mind_Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
The Sunshine State USA
1239 Posts

Profile of Mind_Magic
Hi jolly:
Order your notes after I saw you performing Cloth of Invisibility at Google Video.
It's the same video you are talking about?
BTW: It's great!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Jolly Roger's Cloth of Invisibility » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL