The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Jolly Roger's Cloth of Invisibility » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Ed the Magic Guy
View Profile
New user
Whittier, Ca
32 Posts

Profile of Ed the Magic Guy
I couldn't find the video on google videos. Can someone point me in the right direction? I purchased the notes. I would like to see the video of the cloth of invisibility.
Thanks
Ed
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1654 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
O.K. Folks...........let me clarify. For a very short time in the last 24 hours, The COI was out on Google video in error. I have now had it removed. I have a record of everyone who has bought the notes, and even of a couple of people who sadly bought the notes just to get the secret, and then resold them! If those people who bought the notes would like to see a private video link of me performing the illusion at a library show, you can IM me or email me at comicmagician@cox.net, and I will give you the private link. I trust nobody out there to abuse this. I have all the names and email addresses of those who bought the notes. If you bought them on ebay, or from someone else, I will not send you the link.
Ed the Magic Guy
View Profile
New user
Whittier, Ca
32 Posts

Profile of Ed the Magic Guy
Jolly,
Thanks for the link! That was really cool. The kids were in awe. Good job.
Ed
Mind_Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
The Sunshine State USA
1239 Posts

Profile of Mind_Magic
JR.
Just received your Notes, very happy, fast shipment great Stuff!
mghia
View Profile
Veteran user
Kymystical
387 Posts

Profile of mghia
I am not clear what the people see for the Jolly Roger's Cloth of Invisibility effect. Is this practical? What are the angles? How is it in a home party? Is it stage work? How does it compare to Grant's version?

If you bought the notes and know Grant's how does it compare? Is it better, same but different, similar, very similar? What?

From this thread all I can understand is that the notes are hard to follow and lack detail for this effect if you did not see the lecture. I also learned fthat you are not allowed to see the performance video of what it looks like if you did not buy the notes. 'Trust me it is great but you can not see what it looks like' is an interesting sales technique.

The other thing I learned so far was that the effects were designed children and not magicians. Many adults are smarter than magicians so does this bode well? Well I guess many children are smarter than adults so maybe it is a wash...

Unlike other levitation threads there were no mention of angle limitations and practical use limitations. This thread deservers the same answers and scrutiny as any other post about the next great levitation. Sadly, the net is such that if you want to keep posts to a min, you have to show video. Otherwise it raises too many questions, $25 or not. Seeing a product helps one decide if a product will fit their style and if it can not hold up to video than the item might not be as grand as the manufacturer is claiming. I am sure JR is proud of it and why he keeps saying BUY BUY BUY but that don't fly in my book. Of course he thinks it is the bee’s knees. Oddly, many who got the notes just said they were good but never went into a review.
That is not enough for me; I do not take chances anymore. Those $25 "just to see" purchases were never my style. I go by cold hard reviews today and it has saved me allot of disappointment. Think of it. Only 4 of those $25 buy-and-sees add up to $100. So while JR wants you to feel that the $25 is worth it and if not it was only 25 bucks, I would rather have the $25 in my pocket and someone else’s.

With this said, I wish JR luck with his notes however will wait until I see video or reviews of a DVD which for $10-20 more will most likely have better detail.
ldl1017
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of ldl1017
Roger,
I purchased your notes and have read the COI illusion. It's a clever reworking of an old gag I saw performed at Colon over 25 years ago. I think Abb Dickson did it on stage. The little somethings that you have added to this are great. It takes it to a whole new level...from a gag to a true worker for a performer. My question is, why are you hesitant to share the video with the rest of the Café? Upon viewing the video, I think it would answer some of the questions on what it looks like in performance. Also, where do you get the little fold up stool that you stand on? Bottom line, share it, it's great!!
Lou
“I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary.”
Billy Joel
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1142 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Find the stool at http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.......13990999

As far as the effect goes, you are buying Roger's lecture notes. These contain a number of effects that were taught at his lecture (I'm assuming). Among them is the Cloth of Invisibility. Trust me, for $25 you're not getting a Super X. You are getting a workable idea that packs small and plays larger. Roger already told you the basic idea -- You stand on a stool, hold a large cloth in front of you and then float/become invisible behind the cloth. Can someone be standing behind you? Take a guess. (Mine would be NO).

As of yet I haven't performed this, but it has potential to look pretty good. If not done right, it has lesser potential as well (pretty much like most magic effects). For whatever reason, Roger doesn't want to release the video. That's his choice. And if $25 is too great a risk, then pass on this and go buy something else. (Maybe your wife would like a dinner out Smile )
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2006-10-17 08:51, mghia wrote:
Unlike other levitation threads there were no mention of angle limitations and practical use limitations. This thread deservers the same answers and scrutiny as any other post about the next great levitation. Sadly, the net is such that if you want to keep posts to a min, you have to show video. Otherwise it raises too many questions, $25 or not.

Yeah, it's not a levitation it's a vanish "cloak of invisibility" Should have been a dead giveaway. Smile

Can you do it surrounded? No. Can you do it in a living room? Possibly. Does it pack small enough to have in the car and make the decision upon arrival? Absolutely.

Is it like Grant's? NO!. Grant's was a levitation that used a spirit cloth, turban, and a feather. The effect on your audience is 180 degrees different. This is a cloak of invisibility. You pick up the curtain and appear to vanish. Then the curtain floats around the room a bit.

Does it use the same method to achieve this as the Grant effect? It is pretty close.

Did I pay $25 for it with no video available, was I able to make it work, and enjoy it? You bet.

It's a great trick for the price and in my opinion 100% more magical than the chair suspension and a lot less dangerous for the kids.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
Most effects are as magical as they are performed. For adults the COI will be nothing more than a neat visual gag...to the kids a spooky little miracle...if performed well. I have blown away and amazed both adults and children with my chair suspension. There is nothing dangerous about the chair suspension when handled properly. One shouild consult Kyle for his notes on it if in doubt. One should not compare apples and fruit loops. To spend $25 for a nice set of notes with good useable info and effect...well yes, that makes perfect sense.
Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1207 Posts

Profile of Michael238
Cloth of invisibility...just saw the video. It is awesome!
Glad I bought the lecture notes now for sure.
www.mikebrownmagic.com
<BR>http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=885780636
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1654 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Thank you Mr. Lucky! Yes it is awesome! I am simply fascinated by the response I am having to my lecture notes and especially the COI. If you are new to this post, I might suggest that you read the entire thing from the beginning. The praise is nearly all coming from the professionals, and the skeptsism is coming from the amateurs. It is the same with my Ridiculous Ravioli......it is the pros who are buying it! The response to my lecture at Blackpool was really quite humbling, and many people who attended have said it was inspirational, and changed their entire approach to entertaining children. Thank you all for your support.........I love you all! I am in the process of writing a book, as well as producing a DVD, and I will keep you posted. Roger
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1654 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Just a couple of small observations. You really cannot compare a chair suspension to my COI. They are totally different illusions. I did the chair suspension for years in my shows, and it always got a great response. In certain circumstances I was able to remove both chairs, but I have no intention of revealing that little secret at the moment. Maybe it will be in my book! However, I have to agree with Danny, I get an even better response from the COI, and it is much lighter to carry in to my shows.

Two more points:

I frequently do the COI at birthday parties both indoors or outside. If it's a little windy, I use that to my advantage and it has a very ghostly effect! As long as the kids sit infront of you, there is no problem. I often employ an adult to make sure they don't creep forward for safety reasons!

As far as performing it for adults, I do it in all my adult shows and they never catch on! Roger
Billy Bo
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Billy Bo
For the record, Jolly Roger does have a video on google, but only the people who purchased his lecture notes of real workers will get the link
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1654 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
You are quite correct, Steve. However, here is a video I will share with you all.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9025835901619626916

Who says you can't do linking rings for little kids?
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
That was one vid I REALLY liked JR!

Loved it even though I can't stand that bl**dy song!! Smile
VISIT MY ONLINE STORE!: www.kimmomagicshop.com
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!
Order your copy NOW! CLICK HERE!

ENTERTAINER,MAGICIAN AND VENTRILOQUIST'S BLOG - DON'T READ THIS...
Billy Bo
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Billy Bo
Nicely done Roger, I love the classics
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1654 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Thanks Kimmo and Steve..........
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
I have never said you can't do linking rings for kids...great job JR!
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1654 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Hello John..........I never said that YOU said you can't do linking rings for kids. I said WHO says you can't do linking rings for children? It's that Who You thing, you know. Very Freudian!

Glad you like the rings, by the way. Anyone can steal the routine, if they wish. I stole it from Vernon, and I am sure he would not have minded!
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
JR,

Bravo.

Dan.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Jolly Roger's Cloth of Invisibility » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL