The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Dinner Train Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MintonMagic
View Profile
Regular user
South Lyon, Michigan
131 Posts

Profile of MintonMagic
Hey All!

I have a running gig that I set up with a Dinner Train. This is what happens. People pay to go on a 3 hr train ride with a very nice meal. All entertainers are black tie. It is a classy event.

I will be coming on 3 times and performing maybe 15-20 minutes per set. I am getting a little stuck on what effects I should do. I have some listed below. Any other Ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Vanishing Bandana
Ring & Ribbon Routine
Giant Spellbound (own routine)
Torn And Restored Card
Card to Wallet

Thanks!
In Magic,

Roger M.

www.mintonmagic.com
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Minton, I'm assuming this is a stand-up gig in a single spot rather than table hopping. I don't see a problem with the bits you've chosen...although I personally would try to develop a railroad theme or flavor to the effects. Maybe weave a story about the train around the effects. The brakeman's bandana, torn & restored ticket, gambler's card to wallet...something along that line. Some other brainstorm ideas: Perhaps a mentalist book test routine with an ancient railroad timetable, a vanishing conductor's pocket watch that reappears in a gentleman's pocket or beneath a napkin, Torn & restored newspaper, a train signal silk routine culminating in a Blendo or 20th Century. You may already have this together...you sound knowledgable. It would seem to me that the card bits would be a bit difficult to see along the length of a classic dining car...but you know your routines and environment better than I.

Along this same line and just a tad off subject...We have several railroad museums and recreational rail lines in North Carolina who feature a "Haunted Train" and "Polar Express" holiday excusions. Chances are high that there are similar lines near you. This is a great time to start marketing your "Magic Conductor" character to these lines and agencies. Hands off the Blue Ridge line, Boys. She's mine! Smile

Good luck, Min!
Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Tony Brent
View Profile
Regular user
Orlando, Florida
156 Posts

Profile of Tony Brent
What about card or bill in a train whistle?

Tony Brent
MintonMagic
View Profile
Regular user
South Lyon, Michigan
131 Posts

Profile of MintonMagic
Good Idea Tony!

I am thinking about all the ideas I could possibly have the card go to.... Wallet, peanuts, on the cieling.... train whistle is definitly a good idea.

I'll keep it in mind, thanks!
In Magic,

Roger M.

www.mintonmagic.com
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
How about card through window on a moving train? Sean Bogunia's Windomation comes to mind: http://www.seanbogunia.com/store33/Scrip......roduct=5 But as Skip stated before, visibility for everyone aboard the dining car may be a concern...

What if you did a card effect, but took it out of the card effect realm by creating cards with the names/pictures of famous trains such as the Trans-Siberian Express, the Flying Scotsman, the Orient Express, Japan's Bullet Train, the Polar Express, Thomas The Train, etc. Do a force and have it wind up being the name of the train that you're working on. A Billy McComb type of McCombical effect would work well here.

Lyndel
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Dinner Train Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL