The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Ring meeting themes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
656 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
This is once again a thread all officers should print out and add to the by laws of their rings. I was given a suggestion from one of our ring members The other day. it is called the "whatever move meeting" here's how it works
several of the more experienced members are asked the questions How do you do the ..... move (for the sake of clarity we'll say the elmsy count) the more experienced members then teach that move. This comes from the deluge of routines that instruct the student to perform The .... what ever move.... (IE the elmsy count, force a card via your favorite method, perform a top change) many of these moves have volumes written about them that the nivce may have trouble performing. This gives the senior members a chnce to show their skills and the novice members a chnce at learning from skilled members.
so consider this for a topic at your rings. ring 50 annually has a four corners meeting annually this could be a good chance to include this in a meeting night.
Mike taggert ring 50
ps don't forget to be at magi whirl 2007 tickets are on sale now.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Wow that sounds awesome! I am still working on formulating the clubs in my local area, I hope it happens sometime this year. I still have some questions however.

1. Where do you usually have the meetings? What times
and what days? ( Like maybe a library, coffee shop,
school, or something like that?)

2. What topics are discussed at the meetings, and who
decides what topics will be discussed? The chairman? The group?
(I know some said that there is live performances as well, some
nights coin sleights might be discussed, other nights
theory and presentation, other nights rope magic etc...?)

3. How will the officers be elected? I assume I will
be the President as I am forming the club(s,) so I do I
just select all the officers, and go down the line? Or
is there a voting system, or does that come later?

4. Are there fees? If so how much? Does the secretary
keep the fees to use for lecturers, and other types of
media and learning tools for the club? Is there some type
of book to use as a guideline?

Quote:
On 2006-08-29 09:26, Steve Hart wrote:

I was president for Ring 10 in Indianapolis, Indiana for tens years and I can share with you which themes were the most popular during my leadership.

First, was video night. Every one was encouraged to bring in unusual videos of magic & magicians with their tapes already qued up. We saw some wild magic. We also had popcorn that night.

Next was Oddity Night, members were told to bring a piece of magic and everyone had to guess what it was and how it was used in magic.

We enjoyed antique magic night. Those who owned old magic props brought in their unusual magic and demonstrated them.

One other theme was "Your Worst Trick" night. Everyone was encourage to bring in the worst trick they had ever purchased and then try to demonstrate it.

One more which has become a common theme is Brown Bad Night, you put simple trick in a brown paper bag, the bag is numbered, then all of them are placed upon a table. Everyone draws a number, picks up that bag, until everyone has a bag and then within 10 to 20 minutes they have to learn the trick and perform it for the entire group.

Oh I almost forgot, when we felt really creative, we had everyone perform at the meeting and you had to guess what famous (or local) magician they were imitating. They could either dress up like them and/or perform a trick and routine as they would.

I hope that gives you a few good ideas to try out and have some fun with. We did.

Steve Hart
I.B.M. membership Chairman
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On 2006-08-30 22:07, Scott Compton wrote:
Here is a link to the Ideas & Activities for Ring Meetings from the IBM website. There are plenty of good ideas in here. http://www.magician.org/pdf/IdeasAndActivities.pdf

Thanks! Looks great and very informative. Smile
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On 2006-09-02 17:28, Mike Gorman wrote:
A great theme that we have used is "Round Robin Night". Every magician wishing to participate sits around a large table. If the theme is "Rope Magic", each magician has to do a trick using rope that HAS NOT BEEN DONE by someone at the table. Each magician takes his turn, and if he fails to perform a trick, then he leaves the table. The magic continues until there is only one magician left... they get the prize! This gets many magicians involved in the meeting, but you must choose the theme carefully... one that is not too broad or constricting is ideal.

Have fun with this.

Sounds very fun, although it does suggest that "quantity" is more important than "quality." Someone might know only 3 world class rope tricks, yet perform them to perfection...then get beat out by another magician who can do 10 mediocre ones. However it does encourage creativity.
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Dear Brad,

1. I.B.M. Ring 362 has its meetings on Sunday afternoons, usually the third Sunday of the month, but we move them to avoid holidays and magic conventions. We have had meetings in a restaurant (not ideal), a community center (in trade for a fundraising show), and a bakery (ordinarily closed on Sundays). We have one scheduled for a hotel lobby in April (for a special contest), and might meet at a new magic shop that just opened.

2. Most of the time at our meetings is for magic performance. We are trying to keep the business meetings to 15-20 minutes. The themes for the performance segment, and the agenda for the meeting, are set by the board (the five officers).

3. Our first set of officers was advanced by the organizers. We asked for other nominees and there weren't any, so the first officers were elected without balloting. Our Bylaws and Policy and Program Manual are available on our website, and are based on templates from the I.B.M. Our next election is January 21, 2007. Members were nominated for office by petition, with signatures from at least 10% of the members. Only one office, the President, is contested. We have conducted balloting by mail, and it will also be possible for members to vote at the meeting.

Please see:

http://www.ibmring362.org/bylaws.html

http://www.ibmring362.org/policyandprogram.html

http://www.ibmring362.org/reports/elections2007.html

4. Our dues are only $5 per year. We are a new Ring, and have not yet had paid lecturers, because we were broke. We have had one fundraising show that got us on our feet; we will continue to raise money this way until we have $1500 - $2000 before we start paying lecturers. The funds are the responsibility of the Treasurer.

The books to use as a guideline are here as PDFs:

http://www.magician.org/Ring_Resources.htm

Yours,

Paul
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Great, thanks for that info. Smile
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
We sure had fun with The Four Elements!

We have just come up with a schedule of themes for the year to come, picked from our list of Ring meeting themes.

Yours,

Paul
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
656 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
Nice theme paul,
our next meeting will back to the basics. basic moves demonstrated by artists skilled in them.
Mike Taggert
http://www.magiwhirl.org
The national capitol convention
felixjr
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of felixjr
Ring 21 Hollywood CA last month had a meeting dedicated to "Music and Magic". Members were asked to bring a selection of music and either do one trick or a whole routine.

In March, the theme will be "Green Magic",performing with anything that is green. It should be a lot of fun to see what people come up with. Visit Ring 21's website at http://www.ibmring21.org/ to find out more.

Felixjr
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
I like the music and magic theme. We meet the 4th Thursday of every month so we have to do themes like the green magic the preceding month. We normally have romantic magic in January, and Patriotic magic in June, etc.

Thanks for all of the great input!

Scott Compton
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Ring meeting themes (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL