The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Illusions! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magical_kid
View Profile
New user
Pakistan,Karachi
21 Posts

Profile of magical_kid
Hey,
You should check out http://www.chaletmagic.com/catalog.html
You can buy illusions such as DeKolta Chair, or Dove to Glove. And has anyone created thier OWN illusions here like David Copperfield vanished liberty. It was his OWN Illusion.
MK
mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
Actual the vanishing Statue of Liberty was created by magic mastermind Jim Steinmeyer.

Most of David Copperfields illusions were created by other magicians.

Best,
Mike
JAEIII
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of JAEIII
I've never heard David try to take full credit for Laser?

On the Contrary, in just about every interview I've ever heard of him showing an illusion he always gives credit to the inventor of it.

David is very thankful to those who have created great illusions, and never says that he invented it when someone else has.
Believe In Magic....I do!
mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
When David was starting out he was pretty much the laughing stock of the local magic meeting/convention. He wanted to go above and beyond what was currently being done. And for that most magicians gave him a hard time. And basically told him he would never succeed and so on. Since then David has devoted his career to get back at those magicians.

David does create some wonderful illusions. But, who caries who created what. The general public has no clue and could care less if they did know. Magic is about presentation. And that is what Copperfield does best. He takes his audience with him threw a wide range of emotions.

Best,

Mike
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Are you sure we're all human? Some hardcore DB fans believe him to be an alien... Smile

Smile

"Watch....."

Not to go outta my way to defend DC, BUT to his credit, he does put their names in his show's credits.... If that means anything..... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Mike,

You being such a good friend of David's, does he know you are saying this stuff about him on this board? Because Im not sure if you are aware or not, but he does drop by the Café once in a while and reads some of the posts. In fact everyone should be aware that some of the big names in magic do drop by and read some of the posts here. I can tell you this for a fact. They just don't register and let their presence be known.

Just thought you would like to know that. But being so close to Andre and David as you are, Im sure you already knew that.

Have a great Xmas Mike,

P.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
JAEIII
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of JAEIII
I understand what you are trying to say. But I believe you are wrong when you say, "David just takes all the credit for them."

To begin, yes, you are correct in saying that the general public doesn't care who invented them. I think this is a large point. I believe if you go through all of his interviews, you will find that most of them have NO talk about the inventors of the illusion.

For Example: Let's say in an interview they are showing a clip of David performing Head Mover. Well, no, while watching that clip David has no reason to mention that Andre Kole invented that illusion. But at the same time David didn't say that he invented it either. I don't think there is a point to even discussing who invented what, because as you said, the general public doesn't care. I think this goes along with most illusions. You mentioned the Lotto Prediction and that he hasn't mentioned in an interview that it was Wyricks illusion. Once again, why would he? What regular person cares? I don't believe David has ever taken full credit for something he didn't invent. So I find it hard to believe that if you've ever heard him discussing the laser illusion or the lotto prediction that he said, "I came up with this idea" or "I invented this." I have always noticed that he is good about giving credit to those who invented the illusions, but only when they are actually talking about that subject. Otherwise, why would David say, "Oh yeah, and by the way, this was invented by a guy named Steve." No one cares. Plus, I don't see what getting back at other magicians has to do with taking credit for his illusions. Because it is the magic community that knows who invented what. He's not fooling anyone.

You asked for interviews when he gave credit? On the top of my head...The Today Show, Larry King Live, and a whole bunch of "serious" interviews that I can't think of their names. I have three tapes full of nothing but Copperfield interviews. He's given credit to inventors many many times. Naturally he doesn't even bring up the subject on fun shows like Leno or Conan.

Plus, if you have purchased David's Illusion DVD. If you listen to the commentary part, he gives credit throughout the entire show.

I'm not trying to argue with you in a negative way, but before you come out and say, "Most of David Copperfields illusions were created by other magicians. David just takes all the credit for them," make sure that he does do this. Because you're wrong...he doesn't. Don’t start unfounded rumors that make David sound like a bad guy. He’s not. Smile
Believe In Magic....I do!
mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
I am not making David to be a bad guy. Go to the original post. This person was asking if any has created their OWN illusion like Dc. I was merrily trying to get the point across that David did not create that illusion. As well as some others in his show. And that at times David will take credit for them.

I guess I did not type clearly. And I came out in way that sounded like I was trashing David. I'm NOT! I hold the up most respect for Dc. He was the reason I got into the biz. And I truly owe everything to him. As allot of magicians do. After all he was one of the first Magic Superstars.

Like I said I could be wrong. It does happen time to time. And if I am someone will jump in and fix the mess I created. And which several of you have.

So to end this confusion I have deleted my original post.

Yes I did know that Andre and them drop by. That is why you don't see the knock off head remover for sale anymore.

Mike
Kendrix
View Profile
Loyal user
217 Posts

Profile of Kendrix
I don't know why it was removed. Head Mover is an extremely old concept that was just updated. The Mirror Box is very well know that DC places it on. Tim Kole just puts it on a "Z" table which is not even Andre KOle's idea. I think that magicians should look to the past and realize that 99% of this has already been done. Yes, it is great to update it. However, claiming proprietray rights on such things as the "use of snow in a magic show" is ridiculous.
mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
The way things were worded in the post made it seem like I was trash talking (badmouthing) DC. Which was far from the point I was trying to make. So it should help end the confusion and false impression I gave others.

Best,
Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Illusions! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL