The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Moving Violation by Jay Sankey (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
silverzer0
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of silverzer0
Hey guys, have you seen this new trick by Jay Sankey yet?

http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/moving-vio......228.html

Description:
It looks like something out of science fiction movie! The performer opens a small wallet to show a business card featuring a hypnotic printed pattern with a small hole near one end. Then slowly, very slowly, the hole impossibly melts its way across the entire length of the card! The visual impact is incredible! And then the performer HANDS EVERYTHING OUT FOR EXAMINATION! The card, the wallet, EVERYTHING!

It takes 10 seconds to reset this mind-blowing effect and the extremely clever gimmicks do all the work for you! You can even perform the same stunning effect with your own business card, a playing card or a dollar bill! Deadly easy to do, it's the perfect walk around trick you will do everywhere! And remember, EVERYTHING CAN BE EXAMINED!

Comes complete with wallet, gimmicks, specially printed cards and instructional DVD featuring a variety of handlings and effects including "The Classic Handling," "One of Six," and the "Ultimate Business Card Giveaway!"

Release date: Sept. 01, 2006

It looks great and I love the fact that the wallet and card can immediately be examined afterwards. Not to mention you can also do the effect with a business card or dollar bill. Might have to pick this one up Smile
BenM
View Profile
New user
UK
53 Posts

Profile of BenM
That does look pretty *** good actually! Knowing Sankey's stuff I wasn't sure how visual it would be when he said visual, but that is about as visual as it can get! I was expecting some sort of funny 'move' at the end when he took the card out but nope! Not at all! I must say I am very impressed, certainly one of the better Sankey effects that I've seen of late. I reckon I will be picking one of these up to!

Thanks for posting a link to a page with a clip!
Merlin
View Profile
Veteran user
Palmerton, Pa
362 Posts

Profile of Merlin
I thought the method was very obvious.

I also think, that by placing the object in the wallet, smells gimmick, even though this is required to perform the effect. Why not just punch the hole, move the hole, and hand it out for inspection.

One other drawback, is that it seems as though the inside of the wallet must be hidden when placing the card in, and again when opening it, before the hole move.

It also seemed as though there was hidden finger movements during these times, which were not really hidden.

I usually like all Jay's material, but I think I might pass on this one.

Phil
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Hmmmmm, Sankey, the best magic seller in the world.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I watched the demo. The presentation patter is annoying, so that can be changed. The audience member freely chooses a card, they can punch a hole in it ( he says that on the demo, but I wonder if they do, do they have to pick a specific area ) the card is put in the wallet. The wallet is closed, opened and know the magi moves the hole down the back of the card and the audience member can remove the card. The wallet is examinable now.

This could be wite strong.

But..I do R. Paul Wilson's "Unholy Gathering" and to me, that's about the strongest moving hole effect out there. Mike Close's Pot Hole trick is winner because it's your business card. But..Paul's effect with a signed card is KILLER!!!

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
CharlieC
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of CharlieC
Seemed pretty obvious, I'd want to see it live to see how good the "hole" looks.
"Whenever he gets in a fix he reaches into his bag of tricks.
Felix the cat, the wonderful, wonderful cat..."
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
563 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
Somewhat along the same lines, I like the Mathieu Bich effect "The Black Hole".
More happens.

http://www.murphysmagic.com/s.nl?it=A&am......ategory=
deputy
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1041 Posts

Profile of deputy
I am a id fan of mathieu bich but I did not loke black hole, not very god to do for wal around at leaat might be good for tv though
deputy
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1041 Posts

Profile of deputy
Keyboard is messd up I meant to say I am a big fan sorry
jimesw
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of jimesw
I think there are more impressive moving hole effect then the one in the demonstration. This seemed painfully obvious. Showed it to a layman friend and they were like isn't he just doing .....
I'd go with any of the other effect mentioned above over this.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
This looks very good to me. I think it's obvious on the demo, but, come on, demos are a very poor way to judge how fooling an effect can be for real life lay people. This looks extremely practical and very visual.

Yes, the wallet could scream gimmick but since it can be handed out at the end, it difuses the gimmick theory. Also, if you think about it, it wouldn't matter where the spectator punched the hole. I will definitely be picking this up.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
juan king
View Profile
Regular user
Spanish
171 Posts

Profile of juan king
I am happy there is being a demo so I can be avoiding buying this thing.

Is anybody knowing if Jay is doing magic for lay audiences anymore. I am thinking he is trying to please magicians only with the things he is now making.
Think not what magic can do for you, but what you can do for magic.
Jesse Feinberg
View Profile
Inner circle
www.jessesmagic.com
1074 Posts

Profile of Jesse Feinberg
I like where sankey went with this... very visual effect! Laymen will be fooled, but I can also see that one spectator that TOTALLY knows whats going on... but 90% of the time it must be killer. Yes, the patter could be changed to be less cheesy, but sankey has created the basics for you to take to the next level. To me, this is very easy to figure out, but I'm not trying to fool myself really either. This should be a successful release for sure... maybe a better (more indepth) demo is needed. Some extra handlings and things... what was it about gaffed cards being supplied?

I was also thinking, could you use a sharpie mark and make it move around? The punch is interesting though, it actually only lets them punch a hole in so much of an area... they couldn't do the middle, just the edges... This trick seems VERY manageable, and with some extra handlings, you could do some crazy visual things. I wanna play with it first... Smile
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
(Seemed pretty obvious)
(I thought the method was very obvious.)

Here we go again.

So what?! Congratulations.

My favourite moving hole effect is my presentation of Hollow by menny Lindenfield. I end up with the hole on a business card. I doubt anything can beat that. But now I am off to see the Sankey demo.
Yours,

Ivan
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Very interesting approach. I like it.
Yours,

Ivan
jimesw
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of jimesw
Quote:
On 2006-08-26 02:32, Jessiah wrote:
I like where sankey went with this... very visual effect! Laymen will be fooled, but I can also see that one spectator that TOTALLY knows whats going on... but 90% of the time it must be killer. Yes, the patter could be changed to be less cheesy, but sankey has created the basics for you to take to the next level. To me, this is very easy to figure out, but I'm not trying to fool myself really either. This should be a successful release for sure... maybe a better (more indepth) demo is needed. Some extra handlings and things... what was it about gaffed cards being supplied?

I was also thinking, could you use a sharpie mark and make it move around? The punch is interesting though, it actually only lets them punch a hole in so much of an area... they couldn't do the middle, just the edges... This trick seems VERY manageable, and with some extra handlings, you could do some crazy visual things. I wanna play with it first... Smile

Ok I showed this to some more 'lay people'. Everyone got how it was done. Isn't it weird how his thumb is covering up the spot exactly where I punched the hole etc....

I just wonder why people would buy this when there are so many better hole effects out there.

If this effect floats your boat then go for it and best of luck to you.
BenM
View Profile
New user
UK
53 Posts

Profile of BenM
Well, I showed it to a 'lay person' and they couldn't figure it out. Sure, I got it on the second viewing, but I think that with some subtler handling (namely the bit about the hole that you mentioned) it could play well. The biggest obstacle is motivating it being placed in to the wallet, but it's definitely possible.

All I know is the first time I saw it I was pretty amazed, and even though I know the method now I'll probably still pick one up and have a play around with it.
Hogle
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
133 Posts

Profile of Hogle
I don't like it.
The method is very obvious...

Greetings
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Showing a 1 minute clip to lay people is ridiculous. It should be tried in the real world by you not Sankey on Windows Media Player. Geez!!!
Yours,

Ivan
Devilix
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of Devilix
Totally agree with you Niva.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Moving Violation by Jay Sankey (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL