The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » How can I routine this properly? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Noel D
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Noel D
This seems to be the right place to put this, if not, feel free to move this.

I'm putting together a show and I begin the show with the no tear newspaper under cover of findsing a certain article. I restore the paper (It'd be so much easier if the paper was all in one piece, but oh well.) but don't find the article and continue on with the show. Sponge balls, ring and rope, etc.

My final routine is a chop cup routine, and I was considering having a crumbled up newspaper article (It'd be a whole page, so the ball looks big, but nonetheless, we'll refer to it as an article.) that was the article I've been looking for this whole time.

I like the idea quite a bit, btu I ahve two problems with it.

1. what should be on the article?
2. will people remember the reference?

I'm not so much as concerned about number 2 as I am about number 1. The chop cup routine I do has a total of 6 loads (throughout, not all at the end) And I feel it is a very appropriate closer. But the energy is so high duing the final three "flurry-like" productions, that stopping to pick up the ball and open it seems a bit out of place. and of course, what could be written on the paper?

I'm thinking some sort of reference to something that happened earlier in the show (I'm not sure what to reference to, and a reference in a reference is too confusing for a closer...) and it's really starting to seem extremely illogical.

Hopefully someone with a more efficient mental processing unit can figure outb how I can make this flow?
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
A friend of mine told me that this newspaper was publishing a story about ME and my magic act. He said it would be in today's newspaper. This is today's newspaper. Well, it doesn't seem to be here. (rip rip rip - restore-restore-restore)

The article was going to be a good one, too. It was supposed to mention how I start off with this funny little trick - here, let me show you.

Sponge balls

I even sent the newspaper a photo showing what I do with this ring and rope. You see, it goes like this...

Ring and Rope

My friend said the best thing was the photo of me that they took for the paper. It was supposed to show me holding up a playing card, but I can't remember which one. You see, I usually have someone in the audience pick a card... how about you? (Pick the forced card)

Sorry I couldn't find your card. Sometimes the magic doesn't work. But then the newspaper article described my big finale with the tiny little cup and the magic ball. (Chop-Chop)

(Final load appears.) Wait! Wait! This looks like it! It IS! Here's the article I've been telling you about! See? They even have a picture of me holding a playing card. Is that your card? It is? Well I'm glad I finally got something right.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
Seems like a fantastic starting point, Spellbinder. Great thinking - it's got a running tagline throughout which really links the entire act together, builds anticipation and then brings it to a satisfying resolution when the article is finally found.

Cheers

Chris
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Good job spellbinder, I was thinking along the same lines, but without a card trick...I lke the card trick ending beter than my original thought which was to just have a picture of the performer in the paper and saying thank you hope you enjoyed the show or something along those lines.

I think the card revelation in the end is really strong.

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
the kid houdini
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of the kid houdini
Great idea spellbinder, I had never thought of t&R newspaper as a thread through a routine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » How can I routine this properly? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL