The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Surrounded by family (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
frenchmagi
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of frenchmagi
Not sure if this has happened to any of you, but it happens to me all the time. I'm seated at an oval shaped table, for some family reunion, when my fiance asks me to do magic. Of course I'd love to be able to show off some of my magical powers, yet the angles seem too sensitive. If I were sitting at one end of the table and everyone else around me, with noone directly behind me, things might be different. My question to you all is, which impromptu effects -- cards aside -- do you perform when completely surrounded.
VcosNJ
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of VcosNJ
Rubberband magic is perfect for your situation especially CMH. Also, any type of body magic is good, such as Disjointed. How about some mental magic?
Mike T
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of Mike T
I usually use PK stuff at these events (M5, etc.)
It works great with their cutlery.

Best, Mike
It's times like this I wish I'd listened to what my Grandad used to say...
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
The old finger ring and string routine, done under a handkerchief, is one idea. I've borrowed a shoelace and wedding band for a ring and cord routine.

"Ashes on the Palm" or lipstick.

"Chink-a Chink" is good if there's a tablecloth.

Fechter's "6-4-5 Coin Trick" is good as is Bobo's "Gadabout Coins".
There are several coins thru the table routines that work.

If you're a smoker then Frank Garcia's "Cigarama". Jack Chanin has a similar version in one of the Tarbells.

It's tough when people are standing behind you.
My suggestion is to stand up and move them out front.
Doing this should give you more options, better angle and center stage.

Another suggestion is that if you think that you are going to be in a situation where you may be asked to do magic then bring something and be prepared. It don't have to be a lot of things. Just one or two and keep them wanting more . Smile
I've brought TT, ITR, Swami, quarter ]s, the "Kundalini Rising" gimmick using borrowed cards, "Obedient Bill" aka self folding bill, "Metalogic" spoon bend as well as other things at times.

If you're not prepared in any way then simply beg off until next time.
I know this might hurt a little but sometimes it's best for all involved.

Best to ya Rap,
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
I agree with Jaz. You could "beg off" for another time and then, later, as you're leaving and you get people standing around near the door somewhere, stop them and, as an afterthought, say you'd like to show them something after all before everyone leaves.

Then you can create your own angles and put yourself in the position that best fits what you want to do. Everyone will be happy that they got to see something after all.

Hope this helps. Mark.
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1959 Posts

Profile of The Mac
Position yourself way before hand so it doesn't enter their mind that there's something to catch if they stand somewhere else..
Be close to a wall or at the head of the table...a chair in the cover..on the otherside of a counter...

half the battle is the enviroment
frenchmagi
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of frenchmagi
All good advice. THx guys.
James F
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
1097 Posts

Profile of James F
So what tricks did you end up doing that night Raphlo2?

James
Sven Heubes
View Profile
New user
Duesseldorf, Germany
59 Posts

Profile of Sven Heubes
"Lift" by Derren Brown...

Sven
If you were half as good as you think you are, you would be double as good as you think you are...

Dai Vernon
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Romania
1342 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Like africa said , you should position yourself ahead of time even if you are not sure you are going to perform.
in these kind of situations I perform a small variaty of coin effects , pk effects , maybe a short mentalism act , I personally would not perform a chink-a-chink routine because of the angles and definetly rubberband magic.

-Matt
Your One Stop Booze Abusing Comedy Magic Show!
cjl467
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
72 Posts

Profile of cjl467
This is PERFECT for this situation: Breakroom Boredom Buster by Paul Harris of AoA. Just do it with sheets of paper or business cards. No angles, very easy, VERY impressive, and it will involve 5 people at the table pretty intimately.
Rkull
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Rkull
The worst experience of performing surounded: coins... when you have a coin classic palm in your right hand, if you're not careful you will be caught by the spectators on your left. And the best: cards, but I don't do that anymore, and mentalism. When I do mental effects, I don't need any surface at all to put my props (very, very few props indeed). So, I stand up to perform and move around the table in the rare cases where I have to covert a bad angle.
frenchmagi
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of frenchmagi
Most card tricks have proven to be multi-angled. Rubber band tricks as well. And definitely most mentalism effects. Coins are definitely hard on angles.
bclare
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of bclare
The Steel Ball & Tube works well surrounded (though it requires proper holding). A book on the subject: Magic With A Steel Ball And Tube by Magic-Ian (1982).
Greg V
View Profile
New user
B.C. Canada
43 Posts

Profile of Greg V
Depending on the situation, you could get up from the table and stand up to perform. You could also perform an effect that you can perform while surrounded, then say you will perform some more later. This is what has worked for me. I like the suggestion of mentalism as well. It all depends on the situation you are in.
Formerly, when religion was strong and science weak, men mistook magic for medicine; now, when science is strong and religion weak, men mistake medicine for magic.
shanester
View Profile
Loyal user
Darlington, England
267 Posts

Profile of shanester
Sankey's version of mental epic from his Anytime Anywhere is great (as for a lot of Sankey stuff, it's useful to have a common coin that you know the date of in your back pocket at all times). Another Sankey trick that I like is where the borrowed coin jumps into the borrowed note visibly

Shanester
lylaster
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta
197 Posts

Profile of lylaster
Hundy 500 is angle proof. Fraud seems angle proof as well. I carry these in my wallet all the time so they're semi-impromptu.
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Romania
1342 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Great suggestion lylaster.
The Hundy500 gimmick is something that I rarely don't have on me.
raphlo2 , I agree that with coins you have some angle issues you need to solve.but if you pick out your effects then it's solved.in this type of situation I use mostly self working coin effects or using as little sleight of hand as possible.

-Matt
Your One Stop Booze Abusing Comedy Magic Show!
gaafman
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of gaafman
I like to do sponge ball tricks or paper ball over the head. All simple but very effective
andrewte
View Profile
New user
Sunny Singapore
61 Posts

Profile of andrewte
Ask them to bring you some books and do a booktest. Angle proofed.

Andy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Surrounded by family (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL