The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Advice from the members here at the Café - Please read (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
Ixnay66,
I had a similar problem with a special effects dealer. Except he instructed me to return the item and would refund the amount of the item and the shipping. It was a rather large item and shipping cost me over $50.00.
I received a refund for the returned item, but not the shipping cost. It has been over four months - he won't return phone calls, e-mails or fax. What do you do?? I will put him on my do not call list-there are plenty of good guys to deal with.
flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
I agree that it is the seller's responsiblity to pay the postage, and you are well within your rights to press this matter.

However, truth be told, I'd probably split it, especially since you are talking such a minimal amount. After many many many years, I have learned it is usually not worth it to sweat the small stuff. Seems to me this has already caused a lot more hassle and aggrevation than it would be worth to me, and there is still more to come if you continue to a final resolution of your claim. Of course, that is an individual call; I have a low tolerance for hassle! I save that energy for the big stuff that seems to crop up with alarming regularity.....

Flimnar
"This one goes to eleven..." Nigel Tufnel
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
The seller should pay for postage. The seller will then contact the company from which they bought it from in the first place and when they send it back to them, will get their money back for the item, and sould ask for the shipping back also.
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Simple fix for this, replace item in package, mark "Refused" since you are refusing it due to damage. Return to postmaster. Postmaster then returns item to th seller, if there is any postage due, which sometimes there is, that's between seller and postmaster.

Jake
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
I know it's the principle of the matter, but how much are we talking here, a couple of bucks for regular postage? The seller should either pay the postage, or issue you a credit on your next purchase if you pay....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Irishghost
View Profile
Inner circle
www.gaffguy.com
1228 Posts

Profile of Irishghost
If the seller will do this, have him send out a new one to you and you return the defective one. That way you both are out of pocket for shipping, and you can later talk about this old war story and laugh. I agree that you should not have to pay for shipping on an item that should have been non-defective in the first place. But I always like to give people the benifit of the doubt(The Canadian in me) and give the seller this option. If he shots it down, then you have done all in your power, and you should warn the other members of this site who the seller is, so we do not suffer the same fate.
I get to gaff some cool stuff for some cool people
Docc Spurlock
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago & Arizona
165 Posts

Profile of Docc Spurlock
I must agree with Mitch:
Most companies have you send back the item for replacement at your expesnse. Now if the seller sent you the shipping cost, now he has added your shipping cost plus the shipping cost going back to Murphy's. This is a double wammy for the seller. You probally got the item at a very reduced cost and not the retail price. I beleive the seller , (if this is the case), gave you the best deal and I think you should pay the postage to send it back. Afterall he did send you a replacement, which Murphy's probally charged him to ship it to you. Hence, another cost for the seller... Just send it back to him and stop all the haggeling.
"CREATOR OF THE FLOATING FLAME TO DOVE"

If you are always looking back you can't see what's in front of you so when you bump your head again you have no one to blame but yourself!
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
It would be nice if the seller would pay, but if they don't I think you should send it back at your expense. I doubt that the seller had a very high profit margin, which is probably why you bought it from them in the first place- you shopped around and found the best price. What are we talking here - an envelope, a deck of cards and instructions? That is only gonna cost a couple of bucks if sent via first class mail - you would probably spend more than the postage on a cup of coffee and a donut without even thinking about it. Since the seller asked you to return the item it would be nice to do the right thing and return the product so they can return it to Murphy's for credit. After that the seller will lose out in the long run, since you will probably not buy from them again. If they are willing to lose a customer over a couple bucks postage, then write it off as a lesson learned, and pay the return postage yourself.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
Marvello,
You are right. I returned the item. Paid the $54.00 shipping charges and let it go. It is another lesson learned.
Max
flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
$54 to ship Deep Astonishment 2? Why such a high price to ship such a small item? Ouch!

Flimnar
Mano
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of Mano
To my mind, there's not doubt that The seller should pay the postage, it is just the right thing to do.

Mano.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Quote:
On 2006-08-27 12:15, flimnar wrote:
$54 to ship Deep Astonishment 2? Why such a high price to ship such a small item? Ouch!
Flimnar

I'll second that question!!
$54.00 for shipping a leather wallet?
Please fill us in on the details of what amounts to what looks overpriced even if it was a FedEx overnight delivery.
Bobcape
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
470 Posts

Profile of Bobcape
Quote:
On 2006-08-27 01:25, boppies2 wrote:
Ixnay66,
I had a similar problem with a special effects dealer. Except he instructed me to return the item and would refund the amount of the item and the shipping. It was a rather large item and shipping cost me over $50.00.
I received a refund for the returned item, but not the shipping cost. It has been over four months - he won't return phone calls, e-mails or fax. What do you do?? I will put him on my do not call list-there are plenty of good guys to deal with.

See his original post.

Bob
Be Amazed! + Enjoy The Magic!
frenchmagi
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of frenchmagi
Man, I can't believe this is turning into a two page thread. The forum is intended for selling tricks and effects. Save the drama. Be a bigger person and fork over the two bucks for shipping.
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Well it looks like the mojority of the people here think the seller should pay the shipping. Many people think since it's only $2.00 that I should pay it, especially since I got a "good deal." The interesting part is, the seller will get a $20 credit when the item is returned, but $2.00 is out of the question for him to pay to have the defective item he sold me returned. So he would rather lose another $18 instead of just paying to have it returned to Murphy's.

I certainly appreciate everyones comments and we can close this thread but I stand by my belief that I shouldn't have to pay extra money to get what was promised in the first place: A defect-free item. I shouldn't be penalized because this individual didn't take the time to make sure what he sold me was in good condition. That goes for anyone I buy goods from. If they sell me a damaged product, they screwed up, not me.
Docc Spurlock
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago & Arizona
165 Posts

Profile of Docc Spurlock
For heaven sake... send the item back. Looks like you want to keep the defective so called item. It seems you want him to lose money all around. Heck, send it back and I will pay the $2.00 to send the item back.

If you are always looking back you can't see what's in front of you so when you bump your head again you have no one to blame but yourself!
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On 2006-08-27 12:02, boppies2 wrote:
Marvello,
You are right. I returned the item. Paid the $54.00 shipping charges and let it go. It is another lesson learned.
Max

I don't get this? 54.00 to ship a wallet? Huh? Even overnight would only be 23.00. I don't get it? Really, maybe you misplaced the decimal?
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Quote:
On 2006-08-27 15:58, spurlock wrote:
For heaven sake... send the item back. Looks like you want to keep the defective so called item. It seems you want him to lose money all around. Heck, send it back and I will pay the $2.00 to send the item back.

I bought a watermellon at the market and when I got home and opened it up is was spoiled. Can you send me $2.00 too?
flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
Old rule of relationships--what's best is not always what's fair. The pursuit of "fair" can be a never-ending vexation over trivial matters. Spurlock has made you a GENEROUS whopping $2.00 offer....take it! (Like Jake, I assume $54.00 was a typo). Best of luck!

Flimnar
Docc Spurlock
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago & Arizona
165 Posts

Profile of Docc Spurlock
Some of you guys must never buy anything except magic here on the Café. Ask your wife or mother, they will tell you that when you must ship an item back because it was defective or not, you pay the shipping back and they will pay the shipping of the replacement item back to you.

Very few companies will pay for the shipping back to them. Even if you want a refund, you send the item back and they will credit you minus the shipping....

Get out in the real world and buy.....

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Advice from the members here at the Café - Please read (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL