The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Operation Rudolph. (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26974 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
anyone here from poughkeepsie...

I'm just down rt 9

and sorry, anyone who took a modern physics course could tell you that quantum mechanics allows santa to be everywhere and know who's been naughty or nice. Smile

Quantum Mechanics is stranger than most stories we could invent. Maybe the Psi is a symbol for a dark god and the calucuations are prayers?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
scheda
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago, IL
287 Posts

Profile of scheda
You've got someone in Florida who will be willing to help. It would take alot of work, but hey, it would be worth it the next morning to see the kids faces wouldn't it? Although there is no snow down here, the sand would do the job I would think. And making the sleigh tracks would most definately be possible. But that's a great idea, I'd definately help out with it anytime.

Smile

I know this has already been suggested before, but would it be possible to get a small section of the Café opened for this? I can see that this could really go over big if a little effort is put into it. If you do choose to add a section for Project Rudolph, Thank you so much Steve. If not, well that is your decision, and I guess we'll go by that.

Smile
Coming soon... Who knows!
Caleb Strange
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
676 Posts

Profile of Caleb Strange
Operation Rudolph awards its first medal, the prestigious Golden Antler, to the wonderful person who has offered their considerable web design services to the Rudolph cause. Truly heroic, and staggeringly generous. You know who you are, and I'll protect your anononymity, but it would be nice if the rest of the world could know. And if anybody can come up with some web space, then we're moving in the right direction.

MOTO42 has hit the nail right on the head. We're going to have to work locally. Find friends and allies and form your own 'small band of madmen'. Or women for that matter. I can see friendly rivalries developing between the groups. We're all going to make the local headlines, but which group will make CNN?

Just as a suggestion, why don't we canvas/enlist friends and associates and form our own local groups over the holiday season? This'll be where it starts to get fun! At some point, in the New Year, we'll need to work out what to put in the centre of these groups, to co-ordinate our efforts. And we'll need to discuss how we work the media.

I had another one of my dumb ideas today. The TV companies in my country can't get enough of making fly on the wall documentary programmes. You know the ones, they film the long break up of a company etc., or have someone video themselves walking to the North Pole. I'd guess these video diary things are popular elsewhere, too. Now, how about, at some point, when Operation Rudolph has unstoppable momentum, letting a production company know what we're up to, and offering them the chance to get in a global level story. One of them will surely bite, and they make an ongoing behind-the-scenes programme called something like 'The making of Operation Rudolph'. Anybody up for that? It would keep the buzz going, after the event. We might even get them to stump up some funds for advertising. If we want to preserve anononymity, we could all where masks. That would be funny! What do you think?

Another idea is to put mysterious messages up in prominent places. 'Operation Rudolph, the countdown begins'. 'Operation Rudolph t-minus twenty days and counting'. Or stuff like that. This might perk up some interest before the great night, without giving the game away. Anybody thoughts on this? Anybody work in PR, or have experience of working the media? Don't be shy. Every contribution is useful.

One more thing, I think we should award Golden Antlers maybe weekly, or monthly, to those people who have gone above and beyond the call of duty in service to our noble enterprise. I'll be keeping a list of all winners, so when they make the film...

By the way, which actor do you want to playing you in the movie?

Regards,

Caleb Strange.
-- QCiC --
scheda
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago, IL
287 Posts

Profile of scheda
Lol, I want Ben Afflek or DJ Qualls!!!!

Smile
Coming soon... Who knows!
MOTO42
View Profile
Loyal user
Whitehouse Texas
225 Posts

Profile of MOTO42
My web-skills are not the best in the world, but I offer them humbly. I know what looks good on a page and I know how to put it there. (And I promise, no offensive language, no l33t, and no midi's.)

<edit: Actors? We don't need no actors! We're all entertainers, and as a bonus, they can edit out our fumbled slights.>
"One man's miracle is another man's warm-up"
Wil Castor
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle
144 Posts

Profile of Wil Castor
I may have a friend with enough extra web space to share some with such a nobel cause... Ive sent the email request and am wiaint to hear back. Until then or until we are offered a modest post area here at the Café I have set up and email address for the operation, send all email ideas thoughts etc to operation_rudolph@deliveryman.com
Caleb, I will pass on the password to this site to you and let you give it to those who should have acess to it, for now we can use it as a tentative meeting/message spot as well as setting up folders to sort information into folders for suggestions, projects, work groups etc... let me know what you think. Merry Christmas, happy Haunaka, cazy Kwanza, a solemn Rhamadan and a silly Saturnalia to all !!! may your god goddess diety of choice or lack thereof bless, curse, honor, love, or d**n you only as you would please and in all the best of ways... Smile
Wil.
Pain is the craft entering into the apprentice.
Caleb Strange
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
676 Posts

Profile of Caleb Strange
Fellow conspirators of joy, you are just exploding with brilliant ideas, and incredible offers. We might run out of Golden Antlers at this rate.

Sorry I can't immediately reply to all your ideas and PMs. Rest assured, I'll get straight on it come the 26th.

May I second Wil's admirable sentiments in wishing you the very best for the Holidays, and let me share this story with you.

'Service' by Idries Shah.

Nasrudin was in a patent office trying to patent a magic wand.
'I'm sorry', said the clerk, 'we don't patent impossible inventions.'
So Nasrudin waved his magic wand, and the clerk disappeared.

Warmest regards,

Caleb Strange.
-- QCiC --
MOTO42
View Profile
Loyal user
Whitehouse Texas
225 Posts

Profile of MOTO42
I'm begining work on the website right now, starting with the members list. If you wish to be listed when the web-page goes up, please PM me with the following information.

>The name you want to be listed under.
>Your location or the location you are operating in. Country, State/province, Town.
>Age, optional
>An appriate quote. Short and sweet please, also optional.
>Your email address
>Wether or not I can use your picture on the site. Either say I can use the one used on these boards, send me a different one, or say that I may not use your picture.

Thankyou, and may your days be bright. (Or overcast, if you prefer. I like cloudy days.) Smile
"One man's miracle is another man's warm-up"
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi

Don't worry. I haven't forgotten my offer to help. I just need to get this christmas over before I think about the next one Smile

I will be in touch after tommorow Caleb. Mebbe you wanna get together in Manchester for a drink and a chat about the North West operation?

Have fun all and happy holidays however you are celebrating.

Duncan
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
ptbeast
View Profile
Special user
Oregon
829 Posts

Profile of ptbeast
Operation Rudolph may have a profound effect on many children. They really want to believe...

This evening, my sister asked my 8 year old son if he wanted to help her make cookies for Santa. "He doesn't exist!" was his reply. When I asked him about it he said "even mom says there is no such thing as Santa, she told me!!!" When I said that I thought I must be the only one who still believed in Santa, his resolve began to waiver "you're just kidding right?" When I pointed out that his Aunt still believed in Santa and was making cookies for him, he said "Hey, I'm gonna help her!" Sounded like he was beginning to hedge his bets. Then, when I pulled up NORAD Santa's web site and we watched the radar tracking Santa, as well as a picture of 2 fighters intercepting Santa's sled, well that put it over the top. He is checking the Radar every few minutes to see how far away Santa is.

I know this has been a long rambling post, but in addition to the importance of Project Rudolph, there is another lesson to be learned here. How easy it can be to achieve the willing (albeit temporary) suspension of disbelief. Is that not so often a main objective? All we need do is create the DESIRE to believe.

Just a random Christmas observation. Guess I'll go join my son in waiting for Santa.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Dave
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
MindExplosion
View Profile
Regular user
Hermiston, Oregon
128 Posts

Profile of MindExplosion
I think this is a really awesome idea, and I'd be more than willing to do whatever I can to help out. Being as young as I am, I probably can't do too much, but I know of atleast one other magi in the area.

Happy Holidays!
Smile
metaphyzix
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of metaphyzix
Wow, great idea...

But I was just wondering if anyone else saw the movie "Fight Club"... Smile
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Yeah, great film, though I doubt it should influence us too much. Unless of course we are planning to prove santa exists by beating him and the reindeers to death Smile

Duncan
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
David de Leon
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
414 Posts

Profile of David de Leon
I just have to chime in: lovely idea Caleb, and the best of luck !!!

This is a great example of what I would call an altruistic prank, something that I think could be explored much further and in all kinds of directions. I don’t want to side track the present thread, but think it would be nice to explore other, additional, avenues that altruistic pranks might take. Perhaps some of you might like to do so in a separate thread?
Caleb Strange
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
676 Posts

Profile of Caleb Strange
Fellow Rudolphers, I'm wondering if a couple of target dates might keep our thinking keen, and spur us on. So let me make some suggestions:

1) The people with the website ideas continue their good work, so the by the end of February we have our own site in place.

2) We find other like minded people in our own area who can form part/all of our local team, again let's all start this before March. Any young people out there, I'm sure all Rudolpher's urge you to be sensible, and not meet up with strangers offering help. Find friends, and trusted oldsters to provide support.

3) We look at recruiting others to the cause. For example, by the end of February, I hope to have trawled round all the various local circus skills groups in my city, to look for help. Those of you in magic clubs could look there.

4) Where we don't have contacts (I've never been in a Magic club for instance) we try and cultivate such contacts, so we can recruit even more. Anybody with a foot in the door of the 'Order of the Magi', my local group, or 'The Magic Circle', who could provide me with a letter of introduction before I start turning up on doorsteps, please contact me. It would be much appreciated.

5) When our groups have been formed, we can start the fun bit of planning our own stunts. But I think it would be good if each group could dedicate some of its time to recruitment too. The more groups we have, the bigger this will be.

6) By the end of January we need an 'Operation Rudolph Code of Conduct' agreed upon. That way each group can be as free and creative as it wants, yet know that their efforts will not be undermined by a few rogue groups. It only takes a few bad apples to sour the barrel. Here's my provisional suggestions for such a code.

i) Operation Rudolph is a non-profit making organisation whose principal aim is to surprise the world with joy. Consequently...

ii) We do no harm to ourselves or others. That would mean, for example, that we don't take risks and get ourselves shot. We don't have our stunt go wrong and burn down the local children's hospital. And we do not destroy others' property, without their permission. We also respect the feelings of the local population. We don't want to provoke a riot working in culturally inappropriate areas.

iii) We seek to include all those who wish to participate. This is an openish secret for adults, and it would be nice, as events will be worked locally, if we can include the local community. Letters to local community organisations are suggested.

6) We should start thinking about generating publicity for all our stunts. I've a gut feeling that our project would be perfect good news for Christmas day. However, there was not alot of news programing on the 25th in my country at least, and we want to make sure we're not missed. Most publicity will be local. However, we should also think of what to do at national level. To attract the world's attention, maybe we should think about doing stuff at famous landmarks etc., as these will appear bigger to the media. So perhaps we should look at establishing groups who can do something at, say, Stonehenge, The Eiffel Tower, the Statue of Liberty, and so on. We should perhaps seek to do at least one such high visibility stunt per country. It would be a good idea if we could get ideas and groups for such sites by, say, May.

7) A structure of organisation would be nice to have in place by March.

These are just my own suggestions. Please feel free to share your own ideas, as this is a global project, and belongs to everybody. I'll write an open letter to Steve before the New Year requesting our own forum. And I'd love to hear what more great ideas you've all had. Either here, or pm me. If just some of the really cool things you've told me about come off, there's going to be quite a competition to be the group that makes CNN!

Regards,

Caleb Strange.
-- QCiC --
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
Please remind us as it gets closer.

This reminds me of the sand dollar story about the person who picked up sand dollars that were left on the beach.

A skeptic looking at the 1000's of them asked what good is what you do.

The person replied it means a lot to THIS ONE
as the sand dollar was tossed back into the ocean.

Count this nearly normal magician in.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
Well, I live in a city, so I'm surrounded by concrete, in the centre of the city, so there's not too many houses about. But I'll see what joy I (and my unsuspecting band of helpers) can bring to Croydon/London for Christmas... Now don't you think those Reindeer horns on Nelsons Head would really stump sceptics... now how?... I can see this'll be great fun!
Paul
MisterE21
View Profile
Elite user
Salt Lake City, UT
426 Posts

Profile of MisterE21
Well, can't say that I've ever even given consideration to a stunt like this; it's perhaps the coolest thing I've ever heard of, actually.

Reminds (to digress momentarily) of the movie Hackers, at the end...where the 'net is used to organize a world-wide contingent of confederates and allies, all working towards a common goal. Synergy is the keyword here as I think the total will be much greater than the sum of it's parts.

With that note, count me in. I'll talk to my crew of friends here and see if we can start drumming up some ideas. I have very little contact with the local magic scene, sadly, but I'll see what I can do to remedy that (gives me a good excuse to get my butt up and out there). I think it would be great to have some truly boggling things happen too...Although what those things are, I have no idea! lol

Drawing on my own personal history, I'm thinking of picking the brain of local graffiti artists (calm down, not what you're thinking). Anyone who lives in a place with a respectable amount of graffiti (strange sentence, I know...what can I say, I used to be a hip hop head) has probably seen pieces, bombs, tags, etc. done in truly mind-blowing places...I can think of quite a few here in the city. Drawing on their experience for nighttime movement, accesibility issues (where accessibility seems impossible), etc., I may just be able to come up with some killer stuff.

Forgive the excessive paranthetical statements...you think this is bad, you should be inside my head!!

Anyway, like I said, count me in.

E
Your EFFECT is only as good as its AFFECT.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Operation Rudolph. (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL