The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk Hanky (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dxsare
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of dxsare
So where does one go to buy a nice silk hanky that's a decent weight and you can't see through? I can't seem to find a nice one anywhere. What are you pros using? Smile

Dxsare
-Stevie D
Jason Fleming
View Profile
Veteran user
Marooned, Hawaii
374 Posts

Profile of Jason Fleming
What are you using it for?
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
Try this place; they have all kinds of silks and just about everything else you would need. http://www.theambitiouscard.com
Where I go, so do my coins.....
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20496 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Dxsare,

If the most important part is being opaque, silk may not be the best choice. The sheerness and flow, plus the way stage lights play with the color, are the reasons for using real silk. Hems are often the most expensive part of good silks. The lighter the silk and the thinner the hem, the more skill and modern machinery it takes to produce it.

If what you want is an opaque cover that has some of the benefits of good silk, like bright colors and the hems are not really significant, go to Burlington Coat Factory Outlet and get pocket squares at $3.50 each. Heavy silk can't flow like sheerer silk, nor is it going to fit into the same places. It may also be much harder to match later. But it can be prettier than a piece of newspaper.

Silk coat lining is not something a pro would frequently use on stage except for Zombie and bag tricks. But there are some great bag tricks. Contrary to what many believe, 20th Century and 4-color Changing silks are available in real 18" magicians' silk to match the good stage silks. The same is true of printed and message silks (Happy Birthday, The End, Good Bye, Dragons, Butterflies, Card Silks, etc.) often knocked off on inferior goods.

As a rule of thumb, stage magicians use the thinnest silk their skill will allow.

For an opaque cover, real pros frequently use a cloth table napkin. Those are usually linen or cotton. Silk would be inappropriate.

Since 1969, I have been in the import business. As the magicians' silk importer, I have seen several changes. One is that silk used to come from Japan because it was illegal to import from China. That has changed. Today, colors are more consistent, good silks are actually square, and the 2mm hems are strong, flat, and invisible. Yep! Prices are higher, but that is mostly due to the weak dollar. Welfare programs in the USA have pushed productivity overseas, and we make nothing to trade to others. (You only get to spend a dollar once! Americans are "spenders" instead of "investors". It encourages productive Americans and opportunities to leave.)

Enjoy your magic.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
dxsare
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of dxsare
Thank you very much!! Much information, you really made that clear, crystal! I actually just made myself two hankies today; went and picked out some really nice black cotton with slight pattern, the same on both sides, and double folded the edges and sewed a nice hem. The second, I sewed a gimmick into. I like them, but I would like different material for different things, so I guess I'll just have to experiment.
Thanks again,

Stevie D

Posted: Sep 7, 2006 12:42am

Bob Sanders or anyone else who knows:

What's a good material(s) for making your own beside cotton? I'd like something that can flow and isn't so rigid. I went to the Fabric Place, and although I didn't check everything out, I didn't see much that I thought I could use. But after making a few in one material, I know more of what I want. And I am going to make a cloth for the Zombie, double-sided/colored, and was wondering what material would be good for a larger cloth for the Zombie? Keeping in mind, the more the material is free and can flow the better.
Thanks
-Stevie D
Nathan J. Roberts
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of Nathan J. Roberts
If you're looking for good, opaque silks that last, try http://www.wonderimagery.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20496 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Using thick, opaque silk usually totally defeats the reasons we use silk in magic. There are times (like Zombie) when "cover" is all we really want. In cases like that, think outside the cocoon. Buy something cheaper than silk. There are many cheap lining materials available.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7366 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I can handle the opaque silks in up to 15 momme, or make double or triple thickness.

You might also look at suit linings for clothes.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk Hanky (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL