The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Time Travel - Is it possible (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10576 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
I like time travel that ends up screwing up memories, history, etc... messiness is good.

Of course, one has to deal with the Conservation of Time laws according to Fritz Leiber... but detonating a few hydrogen bombs in Ancient Egypt takes care of that...

On the other hand, step on a butterfly in the Jurassic age and you are really in a world of hurt according to Ray Bradbury

Me, I like the Hounds of Tindalos... they are great for showing people not to mess with the chronal dimensions...
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
RileyG
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
835 Posts

Profile of RileyG
Quote:
On 2006-08-30 10:19, digiquick wrote:
Time Travel - Is it possible ?

Yes, And I went back to Friday morning and shorted 10,000 shares of Bear Stearns at $31 and covered today at $4.55 and cleared a cool $260,000 for the weekend... Now if I could find my sports stats book from 2008-2028 to bet those sporting events as well...
Signed,
Riley G Matthews Jr
SAG-AFTRA actor
Www.RileyG.com
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
I have already proved to myself that time travel will not happen in my life time.
Athos
View Profile
Elite user
NADO - Mind reader
481 Posts

Profile of Athos
Yes it's possible,

If you go into space and you reach the speed of light then you can.
I done it twice, Because I brough stree magic for dummies and I couldn't handle the shame.

~Max
NADO
«How much of a gift it would be to really know what someone is thinking of?»
- Steeve Blanchet, news anchor, TVA
«Here is someone that truly uses his powers for good.»
- David Meclomesnil, weekend radio.
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Oooooh, interesting.

Acceleration causes time to run slower for the accelerating object relative to the rest of the universe. Going backwards isn't possible in this universe. Special Relativity rules it out and shows that it would need more energy than there is in the universe to achieve - a physical impossibility. Take heart, though: what might be possible is to jump sideways, not backwards, into a parallel universe identical to our own save for one major aspect - it's one in which you've already jumped backwards. Time in that universe is basically just earlier than in this one.

I think I'm going to get a t-shirt made that reads "I invent time travel..." Smile
Solitaire
View Profile
New user
Germany
83 Posts

Profile of Solitaire
Yes, time travel is possible, even without high acceleration.

Time is not linear (guess this idea was invented by the guys selling chronometres), it is spiral, so you can travel forwards and backwards. It's a matter of practice and some spots work better for time travel than others (I found out that going backwards in time works is easier for me when I am on a ley line, especially on spots were several ley lines cross).
lejon
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of lejon
Actually, if you go only by Einstein theory of relativity, it is impossible to travel in time. you would have to travel faster than light, which, according to Einstein is impossible. as the energy required to reach light speed would be infinitely increasing and stop you from reaching it.

Time travel is now a possibility, through the string theory, (which has yet to be proven) by using the 11th dimension. (3 spatial + time + 6 Planck dimensions + the 11th dimension (the one that links the parallel universes, which is also the original place where our gravity force come from, the reason why gravity is so weak).

But strictly under Einstein theory, it's impossible.
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
What special relativity deals with is what happens when a body accelerates to c. Time runs forward slower for it relative to time at a fixed point in space. When it slows down itself and checks the time against a clock at the fixed reference point, the body's clock shows that less time has passed for it than at the fixed point. The slowing of time due to acceleration has been shown experimentally plenty of times since the first confirmation using a pair of atomic clocks and a Boeing 707 in the 1970s, and is a known effect that even GPS takes into account.

So, yes, you cannot make time go either faster or backwards, only slower. Relatively speaking, of course, if you could travel sufficiently quickly, you could come back and find that time in the rest of the universe has seemingly sped on faster than usual. What's actually happened is that time has passed a lot slower for you, not the other way round.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Look here is how you solve your own problem. Make a tatoo on your forhead that says. On April 1st 2008 I will go back in time and place a bill from the future in X location. In the future when time travel is possible go back and place it in your location. On April 1st 2008 (just a few short weeks away) show up and see if the bill from the future is there. If it is not then time travel wont happen in your lifetime. Its really rather easy. Why get all complicated with spirals and dementions. Smile

oh and P.S. Just because I find this conversations stupid and rather funny at the same time does not mean my solution wouldnt work.
Vic Nadata
View Profile
Special user
Charlotte, NC
935 Posts

Profile of Vic Nadata
19. Tachyons
Tachyons are hypothetical particles that travel faster than light locally. Their mass must take on imaginary values (i.e. to do with the square root of -1) to be able to do so, but they have real-valued energy and momentum. Sometimes people imagine that such FTL particles would be impossible to detect, but there is no reason to think so. Shadows and spotlights suffice to show that there is no logic in this suggestion, because they can certainly go FTL and still be seen.

No tachyons have definitely been found and most physicists doubt their existence. There has been a claim that experiments to measure neutrino mass in tritium beta decay indicated that the neutrinos were tachyonic. ; while this is very doubtful, it is not entirely ruled out. Tachyon theories have problems because, apart from the possibility of causality violations, they destabilise the vacuum. It may be possible to get around such difficulties--but then we would not be able to use tachyons for the kind of FTL communication that we would like.

The truth is that most physicists consider tachyons to be a sign of pathological behaviour in field theories, and the interest in them among the wider public stems mostly from the fact that they are used so often in science fiction.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8263 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Time dilation is part of Special Relativity not General. Forget acceleration. It is relative constant velocity where clocks differ.

G' Relativity tells us that Gravity also slows time. A clock on the 1st floor of the Empire state building runs slower that one on the top floor. The easiest way to travel into the future is to get a very powerful spaceship to take you to the nearest Black Hole. As you travel towards the schwarzschild radius (event horizon), time becomes massively distorted. So, if you got close enough you would view the whole of eternity unfold before you, FACT. If, however, your engines were not up to it and you were sucked beyond the schwarzschild radius then time would end, but you would turn into spaghetti anyway. An observer looking in from a safe distance would see you hover at the schwarzschild radius forever because time ceases at this limit.

Also,Physicists have supercooled a cloudy smudge of particles known as a Bose-einstein condensate. Basically, when passed through, light slowed to a staggering 38MPH. So, if you can't exceed the speed of light then slow it down.

They believe time travel into the past is very close.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10576 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Where is my flux capacitor when I need it...
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Vic Nadata
View Profile
Special user
Charlotte, NC
935 Posts

Profile of Vic Nadata
Well if you were on the moon, and were able to travel faster than light back to earth and looked through a telescope, you would see yourself standing on the moon. That is a "form" of time travel. This topic is crazy..lol
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Time Travel - Is it possible (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL