The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Bizarre Magic & Premodern India - Book, Prop, & Resource Recommendations (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Ananda
View Profile
New user
Jambudvipa
81 Posts

Profile of Ananda
Tashi Delek, Gotama and Naljorpa!

I have not been to Tibet but I have visited the Dalai Lama's home in exile in the foothills of Northern India and spent 2.5 months working with the Tibetan Refugees and learning about Tibetan Buddhism. I was able to shake hands with HHDL at his residence and hear him teach for a week at his temple near Dharmsala.

Gotama, I think you are right about the Jataka Tales being an interesting resource. You are on to part of the approach I am investigating!

-Ananda.
"All phenomena are like a magically conjured illusion, like a mirage, like the moon reflected in water, like empty space, like an echo, like a dream, like a shadow, like an image in a mirror." - Nagarjuna
Ananda
View Profile
New user
Jambudvipa
81 Posts

Profile of Ananda
Gotama,

It looks like we have coins that were around at the time of the Buddha.

http://www.grifterrec.com/coins/india/ancientindia.html

-Ananda.
"All phenomena are like a magically conjured illusion, like a mirage, like the moon reflected in water, like empty space, like an echo, like a dream, like a shadow, like an image in a mirror." - Nagarjuna
Ananda
View Profile
New user
Jambudvipa
81 Posts

Profile of Ananda
Naljorpa,

Thanks for clarifying the Mulholland reference. Just ordered it also!

Best,
-Ananda.
Ananda
View Profile
New user
Jambudvipa
81 Posts

Profile of Ananda
Gede,

Thanks for the prop ideas. Lots of interesting visuals are to be found in the Indian traditions!

Best,
-Ananda.
Ananda
View Profile
New user
Jambudvipa
81 Posts

Profile of Ananda
Bill Fienning,

Are there particular tricks in Swami / Mantra you have in mind? I'm not currently interested in the dangerous ones.

Thanks for the input,
-Ananda.
Gotama
View Profile
Veteran user
381 Posts

Profile of Gotama
Ananda,

You might be able to find a Museum store somewhere that has repilcates of ancient Indian coins. If not you may be able to have fake coins made. In any case you can also have some of them gaffed for use in effects. There are several people that will do custom work such as gaffing coins.
I asked the boy beneath the pines.
He said, "The master's gone alone herb picking,
somewhere on the mount,
cloud hidden,
whereabouts unknown."
(Chin Tao, 777-841, trans. by Alan Watts)
Ananda
View Profile
New user
Jambudvipa
81 Posts

Profile of Ananda
Gotama,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see what I can dig up!

-Ananda.
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
I'm back! First of all, a thousand thanks to The Curator, whose outstanding suggestion of Oriental Conjuring and Magic by Will Ayling arrived today. I have skimmed it quickly and my hands are shaking. This is a treasure trove to make Ali Baba's cave seem like a rummage sale of trifles! I found it from a London book dealer using a Google search.

Ananda, S.H. Sharpe's index at the beginning of Oriental Conjuring and Magic contains notes on those feats thought to originate in India, and feats of Western magic imported and given local color. The Ladder of Swords was presented to me as a feat of mastery by Buddhists, performed in the sixth century (Harley Newman has a book with an historical account of this). In Sharpe's index, it is referred to as Tsurigi Watari, the ordeal of climbing a ladder of sword blades, and is claimed as a Shinto feat. It is apparently still practiced ceremonially in Myanmar. For many members of my audience, this is the most memorable feat in my show, and I highly recommend it.

Similarly, Sharpe's index refers to pulse control, and by inference control of the heart, as a feat of Yoga. When I perform it, people sometimes come up to talk and offer, "That's just Yoga." To others, it is the only thing that they talk about from the show.

I see that I am only on the early part of this journey. Thank you very much to all in this thread!

Yours,

Paul
Merlin C
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of Merlin C
Vibrate (in the magickal sense, perhaps with electronic enhancement) Sanskrit or proto-Indo-European magic words/sacred names, with magical effect? Do something with the horse sacrifice, symbolism of burning and eating as in the Upanishads?
Merlin C
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of Merlin C
I also imagine Ormond McGill's The Mysticism and Magic of India is worth looking out, though I've not seen it myself.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5111 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Cut and restored turban is a traditional one, and can be found in Tarbell.

Ladder of swords is practiced through many parts of south central Asia, Laos, Viet Nam, Cambodia, and parts of China.

Most of the Jadoo feats in Swami-Mantra are of Indian origin. Best to learn them from someone who knows them well. It's very easy for "difficulties" to occur, and that's part of the learning that isn't in the book.

Net of Magic has a section, that discusses the things that Gautama Buddha would have done.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3821 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Quote:
On 2006-10-06 19:27, drwilson wrote:
I'm back! First of all, a thousand thanks to The Curator, whose outstanding suggestion of Oriental Conjuring and Magic by Will Ayling arrived today. I have skimmed it quickly and my hands are shaking. This is a treasure trove to make Ali Baba's cave seem like a rummage sale of trifles! I found it from a London book dealer using a Google search.
Yours,
Paul

The original indian cups on the cover of the book "Oriental conjuring and magic" are now in my collection.
The story, alas in French only for the moment, is here. http://www.surnateum.org/french/surnateu......vaji.htm
Martin Duffy
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of Martin Duffy
Quote:
On 2006-08-30 18:56, Ananda wrote:
Hello All! I'm a newcomer to magic and I'm interested in combining magic with cosmic storytelling (I'm thinking of Eugene Burger's restored thread with Hindu destruction and recreation of the cosmos as I write this). Does anyone have any specific reading suggestions (including specific books by Burger) or other resource suggestions?

In case you've come across something in the genre, I am particularly interested in patter and resources relating to the myths and supposed magic powers of the Buddhist monks and yogis of India. I'm looking for stories and props that look like they 'belong' in premodern India, so modern cards and coins (and a number of common props) are largely out. I'd welcome suggestions on where to find convincing ways to do things like:

* Realistic snake turns into a rope
* Levitating in the lotus (cross-legged) position
* Materialization of objects
* Passing through solid objects through solid objects
* Period looking props (Fire through arm? Lota Urn? Others?)
* etc.

I wonder if any Western magicians developed this kind of thing in the 60's / 70's when the West was newly fascinated by the mystique of the culture of India.

Note: I don't want cheesey looking props and am willing to pay extra for quality.

Thanks,
-Ananda

I have used my Lota Pot I got from Mary Tomich in every Environmental Magic Show I have done for the last 4 years – and I used it to open the 11 school shows I did last week for South Tyneside International Magic Week.

The Shamans Vision routine she supplied fits right in with my water conservation segment of the show.

I always dreaded some catastrophe where I broke the pot as I only had the one!

I had asked Mary if she had considered getting them remade and she hadn’t.

Last year I met a potter and showed him it – he agreed to make me a replacement

Then I saw the routine for it in Christian Chelman’s new book Hauntiques

I asked him if I had more pots made would he allow me to include his routine with it – he agreed

Mary has also allowed me to include my version of her routine

So…today I picked up the first 7 pots of 20 I ordered

One is my replacement, one is for Mary and one for Christian

That leaves 4 at the moment with the other 13 arriving next week

They are small (8.5 to 11.5cm tall pots) and fit beautifully in your hand, each one is different and therefore unique

If it something that appeals to you then contact me off-list and I will email you photos

Thanks

Martin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Bizarre Magic & Premodern India - Book, Prop, & Resource Recommendations (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL