The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » New Orleans in Oct. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
scaress
View Profile
Veteran user
salt lake city
337 Posts

Profile of scaress
hey all,
I was planning on visiting a friend in Ponchatoula, and I wanted to see some street performing.

but the news makes it sound pretty bad there.

have the buskers recovered yet?
Faulkner
View Profile
Loyal user
New Orleans
248 Posts

Profile of Faulkner
Lasr I was there (about 3 months ago) I was the only magician out. There are a few musicians working including a few of the old pros. Plenty of silver folks thinking they are mimes and you can't throw a dead cat without hitting a tarot reader.

My understanding is Royal St (the main performing street) is still open to cars so the square is about it for places to set up.

I hope some of this has changed...please let us know!!
Dan Magyari
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco, CA
173 Posts

Profile of Dan Magyari
It is bad there. It's worse than the news conveys. But, you should go whether there's anyone performing on the streets or not. New Orleans needs any tourist activity at all - in a bad way. You'll still have a good time, and you'll be one of the few that is coming to support the revival/survival of one of our U.S. Landmarks.

From a Former New Orleans Native
Everything you do -- everything -- has your signature on it. Regardless of whether you intend it that way or not. And that's how people perceive you.-George Ledo
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3729 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
When Dan says "it's bad there", he doesn't mean there's rubble lying all over the French Quarter. I've been there 3 times since the hurricane. The Quarter sustained only minor (if any) damage. Canal Street looks a little rough, due to the construction/repairs, but the quarter looks exactly like it should, just a lot less people there!

Steve
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5301 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
New orleans is BAD always in the summer..its not great in october and you'd better be strong if you want to make money....but new orleans is a great place ...the best times in new orleans is march and april
I know a little about working there
koz
scaress
View Profile
Veteran user
salt lake city
337 Posts

Profile of scaress
I'm not really planning to busk there, I'm gonna do the tourist thing.

but I'll bring my stuff just in case. I'll let you guys know.

thanks all.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3729 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Yeah, Koz knows a "little" (?) about working there! RIGHT! He knows the lamposts by their first names.

Steve
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
The culture of New Orleans was hurt most. That may never return. Eventually the tourism will be greater than it ever was, however.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
kasper777
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of kasper777
I live in Biloxi, MS and I work in N.O. (I'm in the Marine Corps stationed over there) I know how bad and how good it is over here. I was out last Sunday in the Square, I did ok, especially for not being on the streets in a year or two. I have pics for those who want to see the size of the crowd. On a quick count there is about 40 people. They didn't close off Royal St. or else I would have been there.
scaress
View Profile
Veteran user
salt lake city
337 Posts

Profile of scaress
I'd like to see pics
P.T. Murphy
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of P.T. Murphy
Gents-
As my muggle job...I work for the American Library Association. I help produce their Annual Conference. We just recently held the conference in New Orleans this past June. We made the decision to stick with New Orleans to show the world that the city was ready to host such an event. Plus we wanted to show our support for New Orleans and its people. We had about 18,000 librarians invade New Orleans. Yes, the Quarter was quiet and yes the city is trying to get itself up and running. But please do not think twice about your health or safety when going down to visit. GO GO GO! The city needs your support and the folks down there will be ***ed happy to see you. The portions of New Orleans that suffered the worst are not the spots we as tourist frequent readily. The devastation is just awful, but the spirit of the people is strong. GO DOWN. Work your magic! People will love it!
P.T. Murphy
www.ptmurphy.com
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5301 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
The quater is always slow in the summer...its so dqamn hot! no one wants to go there...go in oct and november....go in march and april...its beautiful there.....
P.T. Murphy
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of P.T. Murphy
SOOO did anybody go? How was it?
P.T. Murphy
www.ptmurphy.com
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
I just talked to Jimmy Talksalot last night and he's been working weekends in the quarter. He says it's coming back slow but sure.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Seems to me that the few performers that are there at all would be getting fatter hats simply due to the fact there are fewer competitors! I (vaguely) miss reading cards in Jackson square... ah... the bad ole' days!
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Gaddy,

To go completely off topic, that is an AWESOME avatar! Smile

Back on topic, because the tourists are no where near where the should be the hats are still a bit less than average even though there are less people working. There was only TWO readers in Jackson Square! I can't even imagine.

Any-hoo, the general consensus is that things will pick up the closer it gets to Fat Tuesday. Bacchus has a way of making the cash flow in the Big Sleazy. Smile

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
kasper777
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of kasper777
The readers and artists have been setting up. They haven't been closing off Royal and Bourbon St. so that limits a few pitches. There seem to be two of everything down here, 2 balloon sculptures, 2 statues, 2 magicians. Jimmy and I normally play opposite sides of the square. Hats are ok. Weekends are good. The Saints playing some home games have helped. Some festivals coming up which helps. People say New Orleans is hard, I don't think it's any harder than Savannah. Maybe a little easire. But that's just me. Maybe I've just gotten that much better, ha.

Nolan
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2696 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-08-31 16:48, Stevethomas wrote:
When Dan says "it's bad there", he doesn't mean there's rubble lying all over the French Quarter. I've been there 3 times since the hurricane. The Quarter sustained only minor (if any) damage. Canal Street looks a little rough, due to the construction/repairs, but the quarter looks exactly like it should, just a lot less people there!

Steve

I've always loved those people who said; "Well, New Orleans was hit by the wrath of God for its sinful life!" Then you try to ask them why the section of town most identified with its "sinful" life was pretty much untouched? They kind of blink at you and go away!
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
scaress
View Profile
Veteran user
salt lake city
337 Posts

Profile of scaress
Ok, I just got back, had a great time.

here is what I saw...
musicians (one guy played bass with his toes)
painters
readers
statues
and 1 balloon sculpter

still had a good time, I've never been there before but I was told that it was much slower then it used to be.
kasper777
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of kasper777
N.O. is on a down slope. Not a lot of people out. Getting windy. a tad chilly. by 3 I can look down the square and not see anybody walking around. The performers are getting ****ed because it's getting rough down here. Just sharing that with those who care.

Nolan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » New Orleans in Oct. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL