The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Steel Ball Bearnings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dxsare
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of dxsare
Hello all,

To those fimiliar with Paul Gertner's Steel Cups and balls does anyone have any idea where to get the ball bearings, and what size they are?? I just noticed that he sells this routine in his DVD series Silver and Steel. Anyone check these out? If you haven't seen his steel cups and balls routine I suggest you check it out... I fell in love with it the first time I saw it on The WOrlds Greatest Magic II and I knew then and there I had to learn how to do that so I used to perform it with marbles which works out really well. IF you like the cups and balls, you gotta check it out!!

Stevie D
-Stevie D
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
724 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
I know Rings and Things II sells large sized ball bearings,
that can be used as final loads... Check them out here

http://www.rnt2.com/productlist.aspx?cat......tegory=Y

Shawn.
Shawn.
Eric Falconer
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston
376 Posts

Profile of Eric Falconer
Do a search on ebay. That's where I bought mine. They come in bags of like 10 though. Just search for steel ball bearings. They have them in all sizes. The really big ones for your final loads can be really expensive.
Eric Falconer

Houston TX
Badger
View Profile
Veteran user
Ireland
371 Posts

Profile of Badger
Go to a junk yard or mahine shope, they will give them to you for free
LeeDillingham
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
263 Posts

Profile of LeeDillingham
If you know anyone that works in a large maufacturing plant with rotating machinery (paper mill, printing plant, diaper manufacturing, power plant, natural gas compressor station, etc.), you will be able to get all that you would ever need.
davidmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Lubbock, TX, USA
337 Posts

Profile of davidmagic
For the final load balls, some Chinese relaxation can be found that don't have the bells-real metal, nice chrome, and won't weigh a ton to carry!
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Steel ball bearings can really dent your cups!!!
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
I agree - eBay is the place to look. You can get some bargains even with the large balls.

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24218 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The hard ones to find are the really large ones. That's where RnT II comes in.

Not all junkyards are as generous as they used to be, though. Too many magicians are sponging off of them! Smile
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
dxsare
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of dxsare
I found some large steel balls to use in this routine as final loads that I think would be suitable and won't totally break the bank. These are chrome steel balls used for juggling. They are hollow, but still have a nice weight to them. They are sized as 2.17", 2.5" and 2.875" and weight 7.7oz, 9.2oz, and 14oz. Prices range from $12-18 for each ball. I would recommend using real solid ball bearings for the small balls that aren't the final loads They are at http://www.dube.com/ in the balls section.

Stevie D
-Stevie D
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4182 Posts

Profile of videoman
McMaster-Carr Supply carries large ball bearings.
Up to 2" I think in stainless for about 30.00 I believe.

Regular steel bearings go up to 4.5" but a 4.5 incher costs almost $300.00!!!
They go up in 1/8" intervals from 2 to 3 inches. The price goes up significantly with each larger size too. They also have a large assortment of smaller balls.

http://www.mcmaster.com

Best,
Bill
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24218 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Once in a while, you will find bocce sets that have steel balls that are around 3 1/2" in diameter. These will cost you about $20 a set. It beats paying 10 times that much for just one ball.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Noel M
View Profile
Loyal user
San Rafael. CA
208 Posts

Profile of Noel M
Metal bocce balls are for the similar French game called Petanque. Here's one of many places online that they can be found.

http://www.natashascafe.com/html/bocceball.html?OVP
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24218 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I picked up an 8 ball set at Marshall's a couple of years ago for $9.95!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Ok, I may be a bit off here, but you know, MARBLES make a nice substitute. Aesthetically they are pleasing and for really large loads just go to a Michaels or similar craft store.

Just a thought,

Vlad
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2076 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
If you buy bearings, make sure they are Chromed! If not you will have a rusty ball after just handling it after a few performances.
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Steel Ball Bearnings (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL