The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Vanishing Bandana Help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicmonty
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland
118 Posts

Profile of magicmonty
Hallo Everyone ,
I have the Vanishing Bandana and was wondering if I could get some help !!. I have the original version with the tape , this is where I need help . Does anyone know how to convert the audio on the tape into mp3 format so that I can use it in my mp3 player ? . When I come to this routine in my show , I always get feedback from my amp , this is because I have to turn the tape deck on that is situated behind my amp . It also effects the smoothness of my transition from one routine to the next as I have to go to my amp , instead of just using my mp3 player . If anyone has this in mp3 format already , I would be very grateful if you could send the file to me .
Thankyou very much
Magic monty
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
You can do it with a sound card and the program "Audio HiJack", the total should cost around $70US.

Of course you can buy the CD version and rip it.

If you own the tape version, there is no copyright issues if the mp3 version is the same. The CD version is from a different company, so there would be copyright issues.

You could record your own instructions . . . Which I am also considering . . .

Or you could do what I do now, and have the instructions printed on large sheets of paper which the kids read to you.

I bought the CD for the Bandana, and since I don't use the CD I am happy to sell it, $12 includes shipping & a .mp3 file.

Kerry Cameron
mrmagic0
View Profile
Inner circle
Ron Frank
1608 Posts

Profile of mrmagic0
Many years ago I taped (now on cd and MP3) my own version of this effect. I made this after I saw David Copperfield perform it on TV so that goes back a long time. About 4 or 5 years ago I purchased the commercial version (on cassette) but after listening to the commercial version and mine, I like mine much better. I have had several other magicians say the same thing. I suggest you make your own. It is not hard to do and you can make your version more lively and add some funny bits that are not included in the original.

Ron
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Audacity is free. It lets you input and edit the audio, then export it to wav or MP3.
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Quote:
On 2006-08-31 12:33, mrmagic0 wrote:
Many years ago I taped (now on cd and MP3) my own version of this effect. I made this after I saw David Copperfield perform it on TV so that goes back a long time. About 4 or 5 years ago I purchased the commercial version (on cassette) but after listening to the commercial version and mine, I like mine much better. I have had several other magicians say the same thing. I suggest you make your own. It is not hard to do and you can make your version more lively and add some funny bits that are not included in the original.

Ron

I'm wondering about how you present this effect when the voice on the CD is your own. How do you reconcile that you're making a mistake and reading it and should know better? With the original I've usually seen it presented as a pseudo-teaching of a trick which goes awry. What do you say to the audience about why the voice on PA and the overall context for the trick?

jeff
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Very good point Jeff!
Steve V
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
If you want your own vanishing bandana CD I don't know for sure but am willing to bet that Nathan Roberts would be willing to record any script you have written yourself. He is a professional announcer, and has a great voice, and just happens to be a member of the Café.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Quote:
On 2006-09-02 02:15, The Great Smartini wrote:

I'm wondering about how you present this effect when the voice on the CD is your own. How do you reconcile that you're making a mistake and reading it and should know better? With the original I've usually seen it presented as a pseudo-teaching of a trick which goes awry. What do you say to the audience about why the voice on PA and the overall context for the trick?

jeff

Jeff,

Here is my solution. I have a sound editing program called acid.

I recorded my own voice providing the instructions and then played around with the pitch and tempo controls to the point that it sounds like a completely different person. After adding a few sound effects, fanfares, and crescendos, it sounds great. Plus, the best part - it's customized (it mentions something about the show that the audience just witnessed a bit earlier).

Isn't technology awesome!?

Lyndel
magicmonty
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland
118 Posts

Profile of magicmonty
Hallo ,
Thankyou for all your replys , some very interesting feedback and food for thought . I had never thought of recording my own voice Ron , great idea and a very valid point raised by jeff and solved by Lyndel. What a wonderful resource the Café is...free access to all these great minds !!!! . I will also give audacity a try Ricker . Kerry thanks for the sale offer but I have the tape and will try some way to convert it !! .
Thanx
Magic Monty .
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Magic Monty, if you or anyone else has an original script for this, PM me and I would be happy to record it to MP3 -if I can use your ideas. I am NOT Nathan Roberts, but I'm not too shabby. If you don't like it, the worst is you shared it with another Café member. If you like it, it is yours for free. Just let me know if I can share your ideas with others.

I am doing one for myself, and will make it available to the Café.
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
518 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Quote:
On 2006-09-02 02:15, The Great Smartini wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-08-31 12:33, mrmagic0 wrote:

Ron

jeff

I just finally purchased the Vanishing Bandana trick. ...Just to see what their CD sounds like and how the retail version of the trick differs from David Copperfield's version, (though I'm well-aware the retail version is not done with a purse or with a Mr. Rogers-sounding voice).
Having seen David Copperfield do it on the special where he walked through the Great Wall of China, I wanted to make my own.
I don't have the problem of the voice being the same on CD as it is in person, as I can alter my voice in a variety of ways. My previous experience in radio broadcasting also adds to the deceptive success of recording my own version.
Additionally, I have another magician friend of mine who lives in another part of the state that is also in broadcasting. We were discussing this trick the other day, (after I had re-watched the Copperfield version), and he is putting together his version for me with some different/additional gags. I will have 3 different versions to choose from within the week.

But...the short version of my post here was to say that the voice on the track matching the voice of the performer is not a problem for every performer; even though they may have been the one to record it. Some are talented in changing their voice, as well as the color of a silk! Smile
Afroman9n
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Afroman9n
Hi everyone, this is my very first post on this forum Smile
I am very new to the "Vanishing Bandana" saga and hence don't know if what I am asking is allowed or not...
The idea of making a crumpled banana disappear into a black cloth is great and hence fits with the idea of "ACME" making a mistake (sending a banana instead of a bandana). However, does anyone know where I can purchase instructions for (or even just find out) how a certain famous magician made the banana disappear from a random person's purse?
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Magic Monty, for more tech support, I advise you to visit the F/X forum: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewf......amp;9088
dmetz
View Profile
New user
Fairfield, Ohio
1 Post

Profile of dmetz
Magic Monty..you need to get your taped version on a CD. then go to Itunes & download the CD recording to Itunes & from there you can go back & download it to MP3. Also I am looking for the original version as mine is defective.It sounds like people talking in the background. If you can make a copy of your original version for me I will gladly pay you for it. It can be on either casette or CD. thanks. dmetz(Dennis). You can Email me at dennymetz329@gmail.com
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I could be wrong, but I'm guessing after 9 years he's already found a solution. Smile

But ... for those of you who have things on audiotape, I simply run a patch cord from the headphone jack on my cassette player to the mic jack on my computer and record using the program of your choice (I generally go with Audacity).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Vanishing Bandana Help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL