The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups & Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2626 Posts

Profile of Tom G
John Mendoza's new dvd's has his version with the combo set, his variation of the Vernon routine, and a 30 second version.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24221 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Don't change your best routine unless you have something better to replace it with. The books and DVDs recommended so far are on my recommended list, too.

But just because you are bored with a routine doesn't mean it is bad or boring to your audience. It may just be getting smooth.

Practice until it becomes boring. Then practice until it becomes beautiful.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
Hiya JB,

Another source you may want to check out is 'Crowdpuller by Peter Wardell' (RSVP Magic Productions). It features Peter's street performance of the cups and balls, which bears some similarities to Gazzo's. Peter won the International Competition in 2001 with this routine as the closer to his act.

Cheers

Chris Smile
Bill Wells
View Profile
Elite user
Lexington, VA
456 Posts

Profile of Bill Wells
Quote:
On 2006-09-01 11:40, usendmee wrote:
Pete,

Do you know if Scotty York's routine is still available? The "X-Rated" routine is on his Professional Bar...Vol 1 video but it's hard to find. Is it written up anywhere else?

Bosco

Bosco -

I don't believe Scotty's "X-Rated Cups & Balls" Routine has ever appeared on any of his commercial tapes. It was first released as a separate manuscript during his first lecture tour in the '70's and later reprinted as a small booklet by Jeff Busby. I have PM'ed you regarding this.

The routine on Volume 1 of the "Professional Bartender" tapes is the one cup routine called "My Lady's Teddy Bear".

Bill
swtrocks
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
206 Posts

Profile of swtrocks
The Greater Magic Video Library Teach-In DVD teaches 4 uniquely different routines, while the Ammar DVD's teach moves and subtleties. If all you are looking for are routines, and have already gotten the moves down, then you might want to try the Greater Magic Video Teach-In DVD.
Andy_Bell
View Profile
Regular user
my mindless rambling's now total
162 Posts

Profile of Andy_Bell
For the Scott York X rated routine you could try,

http://www.loonybin.co.uk/30121/info.php......ott+york

I got my copy of the book from there. Its a uk shop but I'm sure if you drop him a line he'll be able to give you a shipping cost to the states. He pdates the site fairly regularly sohe should still have some copies.

hope that helps

Andy
I was put on this earth to do a great many things..... I'm now so far behind that I don't think I'm ever going to die!
Bosco J.
View Profile
Elite user
New York
463 Posts

Profile of Bosco J.
Thanks guys for the info.

Thanks for the clarification Bill about Scotty York's routines. I'd confused the two. I heard about the "My Lady's Teddy Bear" rountine off his first video. It sounds great for a family/children show. If someone wish to part with their copy of this video, please PM Smile.

I've contacted the "looney Bin" about the booklet Andy. Thanks Smile.

In my search for the "perfect" (for me...) C/B routine, I've transfered the performance portions off all the C/B resources I own onto my DVR for review. Sort of a Cups and Balls compliation. (Frank Garcia, Tommy Wonder, Ammar, Paul, Rogers, Miller, Gazzo, Williamson, Carl Andrews, Colombini, Greg Wilson - Kiss Off, Paul Harris - Uncanny, Jenset, Mendoza, Regal, Benatar, Bertram, Wardell, etc...Wheeeeew!) It's around an hour and a half long!

There's so much to each of the artist's performance. Each with it's own dynamic.
Though not every "super" routine can be personalised to each person's style and persona, but each one had something special to learn and glean from.

Bosco
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24221 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Johnny Thompson was at the TAOM this past weekend. Nobody alive knows more than he does about the cups and balls. What a resource!

He demonstrated three different openings for the cups and balls ... in character.

He started with Max Malini's opening. Then he did Pop Krieger's opening. He finished with Dai Vernon's opening. The Vernon he did was the one from about 1965.

Johnny is such a great actor. It's really great to have him to bounce ideas off of.

BTW, keep your eyes peeled for Bob White's cups and balls DVD. It will be released shortly.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Bosco J.
View Profile
Elite user
New York
463 Posts

Profile of Bosco J.
Wow. Bob White's DVD is finally coming out! Dan Strange had mentioned him in reference to the Cups and Balls. It should be another great resource.

Bosco
akc22
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of akc22
Don't overlook Paul Gertner's Steel and Silver to see how an award-winning cups and balls routine was built and refined over time.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24221 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's absolutely true. The Gertner routine is a classic.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Rick11
View Profile
Elite user
429 Posts

Profile of Rick11
Cups and balls by Rafael Benatar! A very nice routine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups & Balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL