The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Best version of Razor Blades and String illusion? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

shots
View Profile
Loyal user
Kissimmee, FL
256 Posts

Profile of shots
I'm thinking of getting this version of the Razors and String illusion:

Does anyone have any opinions on this or other versions? I like the modern look of the one above vs. the one with the old wooden stand.

Thanks in advance,
Scott - Magic in the Shadows
Magic in the Shadows
mOzerian
View Profile
Loyal user
Sydney, Global
230 Posts

Profile of mOzerian
HAHA, these funny stands with blades look rarther silly don't you think. Why don't you just come up with your own way of displaying and presenting the blades, I think the spectators would be more interested in this fantastic looking prob than the sharp blades themselves.....
scaress
View Profile
Veteran user
salt lake city
337 Posts

Profile of scaress
my opinion, that's a big prop you have to pay money for, carry around, and if I were your spectator I'd ask myself "why is he using that?".

simply put, you don't need it.

mOzerian uses an apple (and a pretty girl), I think works much better and less suspicious then any prop.
you should check out his podcast, its pretty cool.

http://www.podfeed.net/podcast/Lumacast+Sleight/7164
akc22
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of akc22
Potassy is a master of this effect, read his book for his excellent (and simple) handling.
akc22
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of akc22
Thomas Medina has a nice handling on the Geek Magic video. I would study this before buying an expensive prop to carry around.
shots
View Profile
Loyal user
Kissimmee, FL
256 Posts

Profile of shots
Thanks for the advice folks. Very nice presentation mOzerian!!! I'll have to check out the Geek Magic video--this is about the 5th time I've seen someone recommend it!
Magic in the Shadows
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1254 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
My favorite version is the Dayton Razor Blade Miracle... It is currently out of print, but you might find it somewhere. Or wait a few months and Ron has a new book coming out that will include the razor blade miracle as a bonus.

Lots to set it up, BUT there is no switch, and mouth is empty at beginning and at the end.

My favorite way to display the blades is sticking out of an apple, Freddy Kreuger haloween treat!

I have a version in one of my books based on this idea as well, PM me me and I'll see if I can get you a copy of the routine.
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11906 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
How Tim ELlis version or using 1-4 razor blades from the other razor blade DVD out by those two crazy guys (can't remember the name off hand).
EggMan
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of EggMan
Hi Candini,
I believe you're talking about the Razor Blade Magic DVD (Nicholas Byrd and James Coats)?
akc22
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of akc22
The Tim Ellis version (on Ellis in Wonderland DVD) is an excellent version. You do not start clean but you do end clean. The DVD is interesting to watch for Tim's facial expressions as well.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3014 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I agree with the Tim Ellis version. Easy and efective!
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11906 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2006-09-26 12:04, EggMan wrote:
Hi Candini,
I believe you're talking about the Razor Blade Magic DVD (Nicholas Byrd and James Coats)?

Yes that is the one. I haven't seen anyone list the effects on the DVD. If someone could just give a little review, much appreciated.

Candini
psi-co
View Profile
Regular user
South Africa
134 Posts

Profile of psi-co
I have to third Tim Ellis. I was lucky enough to see him do it live, using the Lemon Tree Song. Brilliant, funny, painful... so many mixed emotions. Exactly what your audience should feel when watching this.
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1224 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
I thought I heard someone talking about me in here... *g*

I'm REALLY glad you guys enjoy my 'Ultimate Blades'

To answer Candini's question, you can read about the DVD here http://www.magicunlimited.com/DVDs.htm
or read some reviews here http://www.magicunlimited.com/DVDreviews.htm

or even see me doing the blades (though not to 'Lemon Tree' for copyright reasons) here http://www.magicunlimited.com/videos.htm

Hope this helps!

TIM
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11906 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Thanks Tim. Also the question I asked you about through PM was answered when I watched the DVD again. No more bleeding now.

Your routine is golden. I did it an abbreviated version to music strolling in the easiest place to work (nightclub). Real winner. The big difference is seeing the actual razor that just cut paper go into the mouth. In fact, I was in the restroom washing the blades and a patron beside me asked me what I was doing with the razor, cutting powder:)! I told him no and used the blade to cut a paper towel then put it in my mouth and swallowed. I heard him ask the attendent if I really swallowed it and he said yes (I will tip him next time for sure).
SInce I was still dirty and didn't have the thread prepared, I stuck my finger down my throat to regurgitate the razor. Immediate reset! Smile
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1224 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Nice work Candini!

Be careful doing it nightclubs though, the people their are quite often already in their own world of illusion and if you're not careful they'll grab the blades and try to eat them too. I'm not joking. I've had people with very glazed over expressions try to grab them out of my hand.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11906 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
LOL, thanks Tim! Great stuff.
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1462 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
Stay tooned for my version to come out thru Bob Kohler.
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2216 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Quote:
On 2006-08-31 22:19, akc22 wrote:
Potassy is a master of this effect, read his book for his excellent (and simple) handling.

I agree. Paul's version is the most elegant way of presenting this. Very clean before and after. Watch out for his L&L instructional dvds to be released next year.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
GWSchott
View Profile
Veteran user
Southeastern Michigan
361 Posts

Profile of GWSchott
WOW, Tim! Just checked out your vid...Awesome!
Yours In Magic,
Gordon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Best version of Razor Blades and String illusion? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL