The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Best impromptu magic books/dvds (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
I would suggest finding a copy of Martin Gardner's "Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic." It is loaded with page after page of little miracles that can be performed with items you usually run across all day long while you're out and about.

It's a virtual "encyclopedia" of impromptu magic! If you can find it, get it. You won't be disappointed.

Todsky is right on the link. Here is the direct link to the Miracle Factory where you can find out more about their (I might be wrong, but I believe limited) re-release of this book. http://www.miraclefactory.net/

Mark.
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2320 Posts

Profile of todsky
Yikes! The signed copy of Gardner's re-release (with additions) is $300! That was an impromptu shock!
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Todsky, I got lucky and picked up a pristine copy of Gardner's 'Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic' on eBay for about $75, shipping included. Of course, it took me a dozen auctions over about 6 months to do it! But it was WELL worth the effort. If you really want to do impromptu magic, it's a must.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2320 Posts

Profile of todsky
Airship, I hope to have your luck.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2320 Posts

Profile of todsky
Airship, I got lucky. Just bought a copy of Encyclopedia from a Café member for $90. Whee-hoo!
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2320 Posts

Profile of todsky
I viewed Gregory Wilson's On the Spot. Lots of good ideas in that one. His stuff seems mostly suitable for the kind of performer who is touchy-feely and a little in-your-face and hyper. He does this very well, but it isn't my way of performing. Still, there are at least a few effects I can adapt for my use, including Recap and a couple of the coin routines. I think it's an especially good video on spectator control.
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Hey. I really suggest picking up JAY SANKEY'S ANYTIME, ANYWHERE dvd. I have it and it contains a lot of excellant, no set-up magic, that can be done...you guessed it! Anytime, and Anywhere! With borrowed objects! Alof of the methods are basic, bus still powerful too.

Good Luck!
Steven
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2320 Posts

Profile of todsky
Good referral, Steve. ANYTIME ANYWHERE has gotten some good reviews from others on the Café. Thanks for that.
mentalskeptic
View Profile
Regular user
Hollywood, CA
147 Posts

Profile of mentalskeptic
Michael Weber's "LifeSavers". Tarbell.
"Few have the courage of their convictions; fewer still, the courage for an attack on their convictions." — Nietzsche
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2320 Posts

Profile of todsky
Been reading thru Gardner's Encylopedia of Impromptu Magic, and it's really quite incredible. The amount of fascinating tricks and bits in this one book is... encyclopedic! This is a must-have for anyone who does impromptu, and even a probably-have for those who don't. And I'm only up to E for Eggs! Pretty much any single object you can think of, Martin has found some magical use for it. Great stuff!
ChristianR
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of ChristianR
Quote:
On 2006-09-03 13:13, Matt Malinas wrote:
Recap is truly great.
I've got the video about 2 weeks ago and I was very impressed
by greg's performance of the routine. I was familiar with the previous version
but recap is much better.
you should definetly look into it.

-Matt

Recap is in "On the Spot" right?
Tarbell!
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I just finished watching Brian Platt's "Catapult" DVD, actually a two DVD set.
If you want to do some very nice and truly impromptu coin magic as well as some other effects that appear impromptu in the eyes of audiences then this is a good buy.

Best,
eryanic
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of eryanic
Lifesavers by Michael Weber.

The tricks are even divided different situations you may be in...like at the dinner table, or given any random object...etc
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
I have also just finished watching Brian Platts Catapult! DVD, and it has already paid off in a few impromptu situations. I have friends that will always hand me a single coin or random object, and say do something magical, thanks to Platt, I blow them away everytime. You can get it here:
http://www.magicshop.com/catalog/catapul......latt.htm

On The Spot by Gregory Wilson is another fantastic collection of impromptu material.

Matt
Aim To Amaze
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
I have had my copy of "Martin Gardiner's Encyclopedia" for over 20 years, and I still see something new (or forgotten!) every time I open it up. Does anyone know if the new book is going to be released in a regular edition too, for us working poor?

Another great book, if you can track a copy down, is Jay Marshall's "How to Perform Instant Magic"

There are two good DVDs in the "World's Greatest Magic" series from L&L, "Magic with Everyday Objects" and "Dinner Table Magic"
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Hank H
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Hank H
Another plug for Sankey's Anytime Anywhere. Great stuff and well presented. Some of it really blows laymens minds
thecogito
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of thecogito
Greg Wilson's "On the Spot" is a great one. Especially his sponge napkins and the other routine related to it.
shiolo
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of shiolo
BOOK: Gardner's Encylopedia of Impromptu Magic
DVD: ON THE SPOT OF GREG WILSON
simply the bst ones..in my opibnion
Nass
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Nass
Obsession, by PkSon - http://www.2deemagic.com

I recieved it a few weeks back (one week delivery from North Korea...wow) and I am extremely impressed. It's an impromptu card magic dvd. But by impromptu do you mean impromptu magic, as in with borrowed everyday objects, or impromptu card/coin magic...or both? : )
jnrussell
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
206 Posts

Profile of jnrussell
I have to say that I just bought a used copy of "How to perform instant magic" by Jay Marshall and it is really bad in my opinion. The tricks are simplistically juvenile. The line art drawings are excellent... too bad the effects they illustrate aren't. Jay Marshall pushing cutting a piece of string through a straw with a slit in it? C'mon! The only redeeming part is the page and a half preface with an explanation of three rules for performing magic. That's it. If anyone wants a good condition copy, send me $10 so I can get my money back and I'll send it to you.
John Russell
Mastering Magician
www.TheMasterMagician.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Best impromptu magic books/dvds (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL