The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Phone call from India at 4:00 AM (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Barry Gitelson
View Profile
Special user
Kona Hawaii
924 Posts

Profile of Barry Gitelson
Yes it was four o'clock in the morning when the phone rang and when I answered there was this lovely foreign accent asking for me and then asking if I was able to perform a magic performance for a corporate event in India on Sept 5th, 2006. (In the background it sounded like a call center.) I asked him if he was ******* crazy and he said no and was I available. Like all of a sudden they need an average joe magician to fly to India from Hawaii and perform an illusion. It took all my self control (and the fact that my wife was still asleep) to not scream into the phone and cuss this person out. Instead I said no and hung up. In the morning I had an email with the same request. Tried to reply but the link was "under construction". Anybody else get this kind of call or emsil? Scammers of some kind.

Namaste
Barry
"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." Author: Leo Buscaglia
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Gotta be a scam. If they heard of you from someone, they would have said so. Last I heard they have magicians in India.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Now expect the check to arrive in the mail. I'm not kidding. This scam will then have you deposit the clearing check but with notice that it was made out for the wrong amount. You'll be instructed to wire them the difference usually 1-3 thousand dollars. It's happened to many.

And another one bites the dust.

You can do it Barry, just say No....

I notice you're in Kona. I just grew a dozen Kona coffee plants in my monster plant greenhouse. No, the Kona coffee bean plants are not "monsters" perse but my God! they take forever to grow their first two inches. Beautiful plants and can't wait for them to be large enough to spread their wonderful coffee aroma about the house. Interesting plant.
Barry Gitelson
View Profile
Special user
Kona Hawaii
924 Posts

Randy....here I sit at my desk at the Kona Coffee Mill. Cup of fresh dark roast steamingly calling my name. You will love the flowers when they do come as they are in the gardenia family and fill the air with sweetness. When they bloom here the air is rich with fragrance and it looks like snow fell on the trees from all the blossoms. Now it is the beginning of harvest season and the red cherries are being picked. They too are sweet. The fruit of the tree...and of course the bean is the seed. My day job is to buy from the farmers and mill it to green.

Aloha
Barry
"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." Author: Leo Buscaglia
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2006-09-01 20:07, Barry Gitelson wrote:
Randy....here I sit at my desk at the Kona Coffee Mill. Cup of fresh dark roast steamingly calling my name. My day job is to buy from the farmers and mill it to green.

NICE day job! Smile
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Yes! Some people have it made much much better than others.
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Barry,

This may be of interest to you:

http://magic.about.com/od/themagicbusiness/a/lyndel1.htm

Lyndel
Barry Gitelson
View Profile
Special user
Kona Hawaii
924 Posts

Lyndel....thanks for the link. Magicians helping magicians (and other entertainers) make sure honest folks don't get caught in the web of deception.

Marvelo and Randy.....I know it sounds good but you don't know how many hours I had to sit on the beach to earn the right to work here.

Barry
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Oh Lyndel you're so cynical. Just because someone tried to scam you, doesn't mean everyone with the same M.O. is a scammer.

Barry, I'll give you 5 years of your salary if you switch jobs with me. If this sounds good, I'll send you a check.
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2006-09-02 07:45, Josh the Superfluous wrote:
Oh Lyndel you're so cynical. Just because someone tried to scam you, doesn't mean everyone with the same M.O. is a scammer.

Barry, I'll give you 5 years of your salary if you switch jobs with me. If this sounds good, I'll send you a check.

To late Josh. I just sent Barry a check for 6 years of his salary. Oh.. BTW Barry... I made it out for too much. Please wire transfer me the difference ASAP.

Best,

Tim
Jim Davis
View Profile
Special user
What is....? Utah
945 Posts

Profile of Jim Davis
Below you will see an e-mail that was sent to me this morning.

I followed the company link provided in the e-mail to find there is indeed a web-site but it is under construction. 1ST red flag. I saw the disclaimer at the bottom of the e-mail and Googled the "Parent company" Chateaux Hospitality Pvt. Ltd. and the only result with their full name was a directory, no legitimate web-site. 2ND red flag. The date for the requested show is in 4 days and it take two days to travel to India. 3RD red flag.

I did respond to it with two questions. 1) Where did they get my contact info, and 2) Why would they want a "Cowboy" to do their show.

I actually received a phone call shortly thereafter from a individual who identified himself as Asit from Delhi India. It was 7:00 AM my time. He was calling to address my questions. First he told me that he had gotten my contact info from my website at the International Brotherhood of Magicians. Second he told me they wanted a "Cowboy" because they wanted "wild" to be the theme of the show and that the cowboy represented the word "wild." That the motorcycle was like a "wild horse" 4Th red flag. I have not promoted that website, and I am certain that the IBM has not promoted it for me in great detail either. So, they would have had to surf through the various different members to find a "cowboy." I also have a major issue with their use of the world "wild" in the attempted context. I appears they were looking for key words that would have gotten my attention and "sealed the deal."

I told them I was not available.

This is just another dressed up scam. I can only see it, spend the money for a last minute ticket to India to be stood up, while your bank and their bank are exchanging money. You can't even do anything about it as you are out of the country.

If by some slight, and I mean minuscule chance, this was real, why are they now planning something with only 4 days to go? Additionally try to get a PASSPORT and VISA to go to another country in four days...yeah right!

My advice.. if it smells bad, run from it fast.

~Jim
Diamond Jim Davis "The Cardslinger"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Asit Ganguly <asit@ramsrelationships.com> wrote:
Subject: Magic and Illusion Show
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 15:45:04 +0530
To: <DiamondJimDavis@Yahoo.com>

Dear Diamond Jim Davis,
Greetings from India.
I work for a company in India by the name of RAMS Relationships. We are in the business of managing events for large corporates.
I need to check on your availability to come down to India on 5th September 2006.
The details of the event are as under:
It is a launch of 2 brand ambassadors for a major motorcycle brand in India - Hero Honda. What we require you to do is make a Motorcycle (125 cc) disappear from stage and make the 2 brand ambassadors appear in it's place.
The audience will comprise of media and senior company management.
I know that the there are just 5 days left for the event and accordingly, our request is also, extremely urgent. I would appreciate it if you could inform me about your decision at the earliest possible occasion.
Your travel and stay shall be taken care of and shall not be included in your charges for the show.
I shall be waiting for your revert.
Thank you.
Warm Regards,

ASIT GANGULI

ASSISTANT MANAGER RELATIONSHIPS

RAMS Relationships
A Division of Chateux Hospitality Pvt.Ltd
Contact No: +91- 124 - 5042224
Handphone No- +91 - 9311106664
Fax No: +91 - 124 - 5042231

Rams Relationships
Plot No 68, 2nd Floor
Sector 18, Gurgaon 122015
Haryana, INDIA

Telephone: +91-124-4042224
Fax:- +91-124-4042231

Visit us at http://www.ramsrelationships.com

"This communication (including any accompanying documents) is intended only for the use of the addressee (s) and contains information that is PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL. Unauthorized reading, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone +91 124 404 2224 and promptly destroy the original communication. Thank you for your cooperation.
Communicating through email is not secure and capable of interception, corruption and delays. Anyone communicating with Rams Relationships - a division of Chateaux Hospitality Pvt. Ltd. by email accepts the said risks involved and their consequences."
Diamond Jim Davis "The Cardslinger" ~~~ Magic from the '80's....................the 1880's!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>Don't just be a magician, be a human interest!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>[url]www.periodplayers.com[/ur
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

I like that last part! DON'T DISCUSS THIS WITH ANYONE!!!!!
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Well high finance, overnight overseas flights, big magic, big players, are all things that can't be discussed with the little people ya know.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Randy, I have won a law suit against you for $10,000. Send the money immediately! Any communications with your attorney or law enforcement will result in additional fines and possible federal prosecution against you.
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Quote:
On 2006-09-02 16:42, Josh the Superfluous wrote:
Randy, I have won a law suit against you for $10,000. Send the money immediately! Any communications with your attorney or law enforcement will result in additional fines and possible federal prosecution against you.

Oh Josh,

You're so optimistic... Just because this scam works for other people, doesn't mean it's going to work for you just because you're using the same M.O.!

:bg:

Lyndel
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Sorry Jim, I ran across this today:

AP : (Delhi, India) The theme was wild western magic, as American magician Wild Billini (William Belman) introduced the expansion of the top motorcycle company, Hero-Honda, in India today. What will go down in the record books as the highest paid fee for a single magic trick, he is said to have received $70,000,000. As over 50 million people watched worldwide, Billini transformed a 125 cc motorcycle into two new brand ambassadors. This will be the first in a series of promotions for the Texas born magician, as he has now become the face of Hero-Honda in the East. But according to Bellini, his luck was brought on by a hoax. "I wasn't their first choice", Bellini told AP reporter Punji Urdoo, "The magician they initially asked, apparently thought the email request was a scam. The promoters (RAMS Relationships) had promised a cowboy theme, and I fit the bill".
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1603 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Interesting since the gig was Sept. the 5th, and today is only the 3rd. Smile
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Oh...... Um, Different time zone?
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1603 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Maybe Hero-Honda has come up with a new time travel machine.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

That was privileged information. There will be consequences for your indiscretion.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Phone call from India at 4:00 AM (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL