The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Color Monte (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3618 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Just for the record (once again) doing "Color Monte" with real playing cards is not "Color Monte", it's the trick "Color Monte" was based upon, "Three Card Monkey Business" by Bill Elliot.

If you do the handling of "Three Card Monkey Business"/"Color Monte" with a selection, or without the monte/gambling patter, then you are doing Ed Marlo's "Quick Three Way" effect, which is the source of the one as three display used on the other two tricks.
davidj40
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of davidj40
I, too, love Color Monte and have made a parlor size version with blank cards and markers. It is such a great trick I thought it would be good for a larger audience. I also have composed a poem to recite when performing the trick. It has a great rhythym, rhyme, and a sly sense of humor. If you are interested in it, PM me as I will not put it in a thread. I would be interested in some feedback from real users.
SeoMagi
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of SeoMagi
Just my two cents here... Color Monte is the kind of trick I would never be interested in - and LOVE to perform. It's not my stye, with the colors, and the gaffiness, and the pun. But spectator's melt over this routine and it's as clever as they come. Foiled with a regular three card monte routine it's the most surprisingly powerful trick I own.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3263 Posts

Profile of warren
I always carry my own made up version in my wallet,i use a joker,a red queen and a blank faced card with £14 written on it for the kicker.
I use it for the show me a trick moment's when all I have on me is my wallet,it is with out doubt one of the all time great packet tricks which is standing the test of time.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Jay Sankey's version, X's and O's ( from his live DVD ), is the best version I've seen/used.

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
MintonMagic
View Profile
Regular user
South Lyon, Michigan
131 Posts

Profile of MintonMagic
I found a guy that makes cards locally and I drew some new ones and when he printed them off, he placed a thin layer of lamination on them. Now they last a lot longer!
In Magic,

Roger M.

www.mintonmagic.com
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1749 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
I use to do the Color Monte with special cards that I printed for myself (it´s cool when you can produce you own ideas Smile)

My parents have been to Las Vegas and so I told them that they MUST go to MacKing and they did. They liked it that much that they went there even a second time. I asked them to bring me a DVD of his show because I only read a lot about him but had never the chance to see him performing. And what did they bring me? His suitcase-o-magic! This is a package for kids but worth every penny. There is even a comic book with tricks in it. And there I got the idea to do a monkey monte.

So I show two males with green trousers on and one "male" dressed in women clothes. (for kids it is a female) And I do the pattern of "find the lady". But first I miss to find her, then I always find her and do as I totally screwed up the trick. Then I turn over both cards and ask, what the monkey in the middle wears. So I tell them what I wear and turn over the card. It is my comic face with my name on. The real nice thing: this version works great for kids, they really love it because the cards are colourful, the story is funny and - as MacKing sayed - Magic with a Monkey is always funnier. Smile

As I am just producing my new packet tricks there will also be this monkey monte, but not with Lewis the Monkey, because MacKing could not give me his permission (copyright issues). But the other monkeys will be cool also. I am so escited!!!

Christian
Expert in playing card production for magicians.

The Person Who Says It cannot Be Done Should Not Interrupt The Person Doing It!
Chinese Proverb
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Quote:
On 2006-09-02 15:22, frog52 wrote:
I mentioned this in the patter section before, but did not get any comments:

--------------
After reading through over 30 threads on "Color Monte" it seems that nobody has suggested the very simple idea of using: a joker, a black ace (spades), and a RED ten of hearts.

The patter obviously has a 40% reduction in the wager (one bet less), and that red card really contrasts well with the joker & ace of spades. It produces the same gasps as the original, and actually works better under poor lighting.

Fully impromptu, from any full deck.
--------------

This is a great idea but wouldn't it be two less bets?
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Feral Chorus
View Profile
Elite user
CA
457 Posts

Profile of Feral Chorus
Magic w/Hart,

Yes, two fewer bets. I always preferred to limit the con man's patter to the "not here" phase and skipped the "here it is" phases. Funny, but I do CM exactly like frog52 using the ten for $10 owed. Great minds, eh frog. As an alternative, I will use a king instead of the ten and change the patter to reflect that the monte man who showed this little game called himself the King of Cards. At the end he says "that's why I'm the King of Cards" as he turns over the king.

-Feral
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
I have found spectators love this trick too.
I do the bottom (nope),top(nope), middle(nope) don't have(nope) and 4 cards (nope) to get to $5 part. At this point, I show money is on bottom.
This leaves 2 options. Really place it on table and do MT or do glide and patter how he asked what color is this one? so if this is red this must be blue? I'm sorry, this is red and this is blue.($7) I eliminate showing all the cards to be the MONEY Card. When tabling the for the finally, you can add a quick in hands mexican top change turn-over in hands (daryl) or flustration. Again, a true keeper where you end up clean.
merlin1979
View Profile
Veteran user
Bottling the impossible
328 Posts

Profile of merlin1979
This is one of the first tricks I learnt with cards. I am only on my second set. The colours don't seem to fade too badly on mine. Are you keeping yours in the wallet?
First do no harm...

http://www.impossibottle.co.uk

***Now with new impossibottles for SALE!***
Alexis Warren
View Profile
New user
Snowdon
5 Posts

Profile of Alexis Warren
As mentioned above, R. Paul Wilson's handling of CM using Tarot cards is a truly inspired idea.

In the correct environment it becomes a VERY powerful piece of magic with a presentation that gives the effect a great 'hook', but without being too heavy.

Well worth tracking down...

AW
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
I perform this routine for Christmas using the Color Monte routine. I mad up the cards myself.

View This Post

Rich B.
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
Sorry, I didn't know how to post a link. Do a search for Grinch Monte if you are interested.

Rich B.
mkiger
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mkiger
No magician who has ever seen the lay reaction to this trick will look down on it. Of countless packet tricks that now live in my junk drawer, this is the only one I use. I have worn out six or seven sets.
Sir Pharaul
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Sir Pharaul
Yeah color monte is awesome, especially when you flip over that 14 dollar card. I really like Paul Wilson's version of it too.
Walking Bob
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of Walking Bob
Where can I find Wilson's handling for Color Monte?

Thanks and Happy New Year!!!

Walking Bob in Iowa
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17072 Posts

Profile of joseph
See Gypsy Monte HERE ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Color Monte is a classic. But....if you want to stun them, do Jay Sankey's X's and O's. It takes the trick to a another level.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
mjb16
View Profile
Loyal user
Ossining, New York
208 Posts

Profile of mjb16
Wilson's Gypsy Monte is on his Knock 'em Dead dvd.
Chris I will definitely chek out the Sankey's version. I really like the color monte and I am always looking for different handelings for it.
You could also check out Garrett Thomas dvds volume 2, thinking off hand. He too has a handeling for this classic effect.

Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Color Monte (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL