The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Color Monte (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Quote:
On 2007-01-15 16:00, MagicChris wrote:
Color Monte is a classic. But....if you want to stun them, do Jay Sankey's X's and O's. It takes the trick to a another level.

Chris, is this a different handling of a standard set of Color Monte cards?
I see it's only on a DVD, which implies it doesn't use custom or pre-made cards. (if it does, I can't find the cards anywhere!)
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2007-01-16 23:14, silverking wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-01-15 16:00, MagicChris wrote:
Color Monte is a classic. But....if you want to stun them, do Jay Sankey's X's and O's. It takes the trick to a another level.

Chris, is this a different handling of a standard set of Color Monte cards?
I see it's only on a DVD, which implies it doesn't use custom or pre-made cards. (if it does, I can't find the cards anywhere!)

It's in print and also from Jay Dankey LIVE DVD. Not the usual "Diamond" color cards.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I have the Sankey Live DVD and indeed Jay's X's & O's is a killer effect. It says it's Jay's "for pros only" version of Color Monte with a signed card. I have not done this effect for awhile. Now I've to do this again as I remember it's a great effect!
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
817 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
Quote:
On 2006-09-01 21:02, meyegr wrote:
You can do the same effect with regular cards. I use 'two' jokers, since decks come with 2.

Same Here. Everything looks genuine and the effect is authentic.
Peace on the Magical Streets
~Nick V.~
ghageman
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of ghageman
I used to love this trick but since then I have found better tricks to use for a monte routine. Since I only like to do one monte trick in my set I chose not to use this one but I still use it every now and then when someone wants to see just one more trick. It works great to use a gambling routine to finish with.
Joemv
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of Joemv
I always carry Color Monte with me. Fun to perfom and has never failed to receive a great reaction.

Joe
MagicJohnH
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of MagicJohnH
I also love Color Monte. I have been doing it since the 70's and it kills. The only thing is that the red color on the backs of my cards has run on to the faces.
I guess that I'll have to get a new set.
John
nboisen
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of nboisen
I do a version presented as a "tutorial" on 3-card monte (why you shouldn't ever play).

I show 2 blank cards (or jokers) and an Ace which the spectator must try to find in the end. But first I explain the rules of the game and in the process show all the cards as blank and then all as Aces, finally ending with the usual kicker of an unusual card appearing in the end (such as 14 of spades).

(This can even be down impromtu with cards from an ordinary deck.)

I have also changed the handling to eliminate the odd unnatrual looking move used in the marketed version (card sliding off the back).

If anyone is interested in the patter and improved handling, please PM me and I can send you my write-up.
Paul Wingham
View Profile
Veteran user
Rustington, South Coast, UK
365 Posts

Profile of Paul Wingham
I agree with everyone about what a great trick colour monte is, I do the exact same handling but with cards with THIS, THAT and The Other written on it. I think Paul Daniels did this on Tv years ago. One blank deck and a sharpie and you've got 17 sets.
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
Color Monte is still one of my favorites. I like it because it is a simple monte to learn. Color Monte never fails to get a reaction from the spectators. It's a great effect. If I had to use only one monte, it would probably be Color Monte.
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon
mrsmiles
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of mrsmiles
Just a small point that I made in another thread elsewhere...
It's worth an update on the $14 card - this effect came out in the 1970's, so I've written on a blank face card '$140' (with green sharpie) to replace the modest sum of $14 (actually £140 as I'm in the UK). So my patter is that each bet at every phase of the routine has cost $10/£10. My hand written card I grant you doesn't look as good as the embossed/foil printed ones but I use it anyway with as I say a green sharpie "You lose £140" (I do not draw a stack of bills). I also like some people have said sometimes use a joker which I show 2 times, an ace of diamonds as the money card -plus the ace of spades as the kicker card.
mrsmiles
(UK)
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
436 Posts

Profile of daver
I've been doing it since it was relatively new in the 70's, and after all theese years, I finally bought some new cards last year, and happily saw them printed on Bicycle backs.

As an adder to the effect, I put the $14 gaff in a deck, and pretend to pull out 2 black aces and a red ace and really pull one black and one red and the gaff. Or, I'll pull a black ace and the Queen of Hearts since in the real 3 card montes on the streets of NY (where I grew up), the QH was always the money card.

Anyway, pulling the three from a real deck just adds that little touch that helps the impact of the final reveal.
Dave

What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
Robert Kohler
View Profile
Special user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
520 Posts

Profile of Robert Kohler
Doesn't that give something away? If you imply 2 black aces, at some point in the routine you would show each of the aces, but the handling only allows for one of the aces - that's why I use the joker[s} and ace of diamonds instead..........
We judge ourselves by our intentions - others judge us by our actions.....
<BR>
<BR>B. Wilson
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
436 Posts

Profile of daver
Forgot, I just tell em I got an extra black ace. No one has ever questioned it, and it adds a little more legitimacy than the diamonds which can telegraph gaff to those hard-***ses who think they know it all. I'd thought about using jokers, but just never got 'round to it.
Dave

What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
TheAstonishingLarry
View Profile
Regular user
I aspire to more than only
183 Posts

Profile of TheAstonishingLarry
I wanted to share my presentation of this true classic.

My "payout" card says, "You Owe Me $50!" and I set it up this way:

I've shortened the presentation a bit since I do it with the Henry Christ Alignment Move and I've always thought that move was a bit odd ... especially doing it twice ... so I cut out the second phase.

[Lead into the trick with your standard patter.] "And while he was explaining the rules he slid the money card to the bottom of the stack ... now I had played some cards before and it was obvious what he had just done, so I started thinking this was going to be some easy money. And then the guy looks me in the eye and asks me where the money card is. And do you know what I said?"

At this point I sometimes get a blank look, but usually the spectator will say, "It's on the bottom?"

I continue ... "No, that's what I wish I had said, but instead I said, 'Why don't we make it five dollars a pop.' You see, I just knew I was going to take this guy to the bank."

Well, you get the idea ...

1. It's on the bottom. No, you owe me $5.
2. It's on the top. No, you owe me $10.
3. Must be in the middle. No, you owe me $15.
4. Wait a minute, you got rid of the money card. No, it's right here on the bottom, you owe me $20
5. You're using more than three cards. No, one - two - three. You owe me $25

And then the double or nothing phase ... you owe me $50!
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." - Carl Sagan
JustLoco
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, Ca
111 Posts

Profile of JustLoco
I always do it using the THIS 'N' THAT cards and patter. Check out the video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tScm-eZInBE
Jpovey
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of Jpovey
This is one of the first magic effects I learnt to do! I still use it today in walkabout shows or on the street! In walkabout (restuarants etc) I will use the actual CM cards, but if someone asks to see a card trick I will normally do it with Jack Hearts, King Hearts and a Joker! Great Trick, I find the patter really works too!
For a while Houdini used alot of trap doors in his act, but he was just going through a stage!
keith1569
View Profile
New user
California
87 Posts

Profile of keith1569
I really like color monte..it gets a great reaction every time I do it..i will sometimes just use some cards from a normal deck also if I don't have the actual cards with me.. one of my fav packet tricks
deliveryboy
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of deliveryboy
I have been doing it for 30 years great trick.
WilburrUK
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of WilburrUK
I love it too, and I'm in the "Jokers and red ace" camp. I found with the actual color (colour) monte cards, in certain lighting conditions, the colours were quite hard to distinguish because of the shininess.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Color Monte (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL