The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Not very magical, still... Spelling Mistakes (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11 [Next]
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On Dec 15, 2015, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2015, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 25, 2015, magicfish wrote:
I could of been a contender.

An e-mail from one of my (university) accounting students:

Would I be able to take [the exam I missed] to see what I would of got, I think it would really help me.

Sigh.

This is the one I simply cannot comprehend.
We learn should've, would've, could've, in grade 3? Maybe 4?
I cannot fathom how anybody can write, "If I would of turned left this wouldn't of happened."
Did they drop out of elementary school?


magicfish, I understand your confusion, but is easily explained. English is not written phonetically, yet people have the need to write what they hear, regardless of what they learned in school.

"Could have" is, in everyday speech, "could'v". "Could'v" is phonetically identical to "could of", so people get confused. (To use IPA transcription: /kʊd hv/ is usually pronounced as /kʊdəv/. )

No one (except Bill, maybe) actlually says, "could have", so the mistake is quite understandable.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6080 Posts

Profile of magicfish
It is not understandable to me because even though it may sound phonetically like "could of"
my grade 3 education and my memory of seeing the contraction written in the books I read allows me to write the correct, "could've".
knife sounds phonetically like nife. But because of basic english literacy, I'm able to read and write and comprehend "knife".
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Education isn't what it used to be, magicfish.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Apparently (at least, according to another forum I frequent, populated by ostensibly well-educated people), "goodluck" is now one word.

Sigh.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2016, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 15, 2015, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2015, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 25, 2015, magicfish wrote:
I could of been a contender.

An e-mail from one of my (university) accounting students:

Would I be able to take [the exam I missed] to see what I would of got, I think it would really help me.

Sigh.

This is the one I simply cannot comprehend.
We learn should've, would've, could've, in grade 3? Maybe 4?
I cannot fathom how anybody can write, "If I would of turned left this wouldn't of happened."
Did they drop out of elementary school?

magicfish, I understand your confusion, but is easily explained. English is not written phonetically, yet people have the need to write what they hear, regardless of what they learned in school.

"Could have" is, in everyday speech, "could'v". "Could'v" is phonetically identical to "could of", so people get confused. (To use IPA transcription: /kʊd hv/ is usually pronounced as /kʊdəv/. )

No one (except Bill, maybe) actlually says, "could have", so the mistake is quite understandable.

Nevertheless, "could of" makes no sense. Nobody (I hope!) would ever say, "could from".

The problem, I think, is that people don't think about what they say (or write); it's reflex.

(For the record, I do say, "could've", "would've", and "should've"; but I know what I'm eliding.)
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1932 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Quote:
On May 26, 2007, Josh Riel wrote:
I have a lot of slight of hands on my sight.

Posted: May 26, 2007 3:30am
Quote:


On 2007-03-23 23:00, jlevey wrote:


Before the google spellcheck...

"Regaurding thee gooogle spillcheck, leets c iff it werks..."

After the google spellcheck...

"Regarding thee google spellcheck, leets c if it works."


Hmmm. Google always capitalizes it's own name by default.

"Thee" is a correctly spelled word "c" won't get checked and words like "hap4py" are ignored because of the stupid "OMG's" and crap that is common with the retarded public school taught common vernacular.

So either we proof read as well as spell check, or we sound as stupid as I do while doing both.


That was like 9 years ago, I'm su8rprised I'm not dead... now what else about spelling?
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Jan 29, 2016, S2000magician wrote:
Apparently (at least, according to another forum I frequent, populated by ostensibly well-educated people), "goodluck" is now one word.

Sigh.


Not surprising, really. It's also a Christian name, as in Goodluck Jonathan, the former President of Nigeria.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Caf Columnist
SF Bay Area
2860 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I have to (want to) think this was an honest typo, but still...

On another forum, someone mentioned she was getting a teaching job in the United Arab Emeritus. The post didn't say it had been sent from a phone or pad, and it had a very long signature, so I'm guessing she didn't dictate it to a voice recognition system.

This was a high school teacher with many years of experience.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2016, George Ledo wrote:
On another forum, someone mentioned she was getting a teaching job in the United Arab Emeritus.

A prestigious little country, that one.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
In my accounting classes, my students seem to have a very difficult time with:

  • Receivable (even when it's correctly spelled in the question they're answering): usually "ie" instead of "ei"
  • Assessment: usually missing the fourth "s"
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Here's a spelling mistake I often make:

English: address
German: Adresse

Uh...that's the way I thkink it is. Maybe I'm wrong. Living nearly a quarter of a century with another language messes you up.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2017, stoneunhinged wrote:
German: Adresse

Not eszett?
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
No, not .

The rules have changed, Bill, and the isn't what it used to be.

Adresse, not Adree.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6080 Posts

Profile of magicfish
How are there people roaming the planet who don't know that the word 'than' exists. Even during a digital exchange when they are reading the word, they continue to use 'then'. It drives me crazy.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24024 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I beleive basicly people mispell becauze they are writeing to fast. I remeber thee other day I suprised myself what I misplelled in thee sentince I occured. People thougt I was a foriegner. Unfortunatly I realy embarassed myself. Tommorow the neccessary time from begining too end I will put in more time so I will acheive and bee succesful with my buisness.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6080 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Another one that people get wrong a lot is "it's"
When it should be "its".
The dog shook its head.
The bear licked its wounds.
The snake shed its skin.
"It's" is not possessive but rather a contraction for "it is".
If confused, think of How little sense it would make to say, "the snake shed it is skin".
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Yeah, that's a confusing use of the apostrophe. The apostrophe indicates both genitives and contractions: but the word "it" needs to be both genitivized and contracted, so there is a problem.

Have we talked about dessert and desert?

It, too, is confusing, and for good reason: the spelling rules we learned in school don't apply. Why not?

I blame French.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Jun 7, 2018, magicfish wrote:
"It's" is not possessive but rather a contraction for "it is".

Or "it has".
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2018, stoneunhinged wrote:
Yeah, that's a confusing use of the apostrophe. The apostrophe indicates both genitives and contractions: but the word "it" needs to be both genitivized and contracted, so there is a problem.

In English, possessive pronouns haven't apostrophes.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6080 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2018, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 7, 2018, magicfish wrote:
"It's" is not possessive but rather a contraction for "it is".

Or "it has".

Correct sir.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Not very magical, still... Spelling Mistakes (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL