We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Spelling Mistakes (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Josh Chaikin
I am no longer a Grammar Host, but I still have nice people anxious to help me with my spelling, and punctuation. Perhaps you should volunteer for the Grammar Host position, you seem to be very interested in correcting people.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Quote:
On 2009-11-04 13:07, sweetypie2019 wrote:
My pet peeve is when people mix up their and there. I mean, seriously...is it that difficult to know the difference?

They're just not paying attention.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Quote:
On 2010-05-14 12:17, Al Angello wrote:
Josh Chaikin
I am no longer a Grammar Host, but I still have nice people anxious to help me with my spelling, and punctuation. Perhaps you should volunteer for the Grammar Host position, you seem to be very interested in correcting people.

My apologies if I offended you, it wasn't my intent. I was trying to be ironic more than anything, sorry if it didn't come off that way.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Josh
Irony is a great source of humor. Perhaps I should not be so easily offended.
gnosis
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of gnosis
Some of my pet peeves:

wrong: Your wrong.
right: You're wrong.

Using the word "your" instead of "you're" is probably the most common spelling
mistake there is. All you have to remember is that "you're" is a contraction of "you
are" (think of the apostrophe as keeping the two words apart), and "your" is
the possessive (as in "your mom!").

wrong: What a waist of time.
right: What a waste of time.

The "waist" is the anatomical feature of your body around which your pants hang.

wrong: It's handle is broken.
right: Its handle is broken.

wrong: Its broken.
right: It's broken.

"Its" is the possessive. "It's" is a contraction of "it is".
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Lately I've noticed a number of people throwing in superfluous apostrophes; in particular, there seems to be a strong contingent who believe that plurals deserve apostrophes.

Example: "I did a show a couple of day's ago."

Odd.

(It's, by the way, can also be a contraction of it has; e.g., It's been fun.)

"Would of", "could of", and "should of" are also bizarre (instead of "would've", "could've", and "should've", respectively). I understand that the sound is correct, but functionally "of" makes no sense in those constructions.
Thom Bliss
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern California
269 Posts

Profile of Thom Bliss
Here’s some hints I have been given:

‘To,’ ‘two,’ ‘too.’
‘To’ can be pronounced as ‘Ta’ or ‘Tah;’ the other two can’t.
‘Two’ is the name of a number.
If it isn’t a number and it can’t be pronounced ‘tah,’ then it’s ‘too.’
“Would it be too much tah ask for you tah go the market tah buy two dozen eggs and maybe some ham, too!”

‘It’s,’ ‘its.’
‘It’s’ is a contraction. Contractions always have an apostrophe.
‘Its’ is a possessive pronoun. Possessive pronouns (e.g., ‘his,’ ‘her,’ ‘our,’ ‘ours,’ ‘their,’ ‘mine’) never have apostrophes.
“He’s [He is] in the driver’s [possessive noun] seat but it’s [it is] her [possessive pronoun] car.”
gnosis
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of gnosis
I really hate it when people use the word "to" when they should be using the word "too". It's like nails on a chalkboard.

wrong: "... to much", "... to heavy"
right: "... too much", "... too heavy"

wrong: "I liked it to."
right: "I liked it too."

This is a really common error in the Magic Café forums. I see it all the time. I want to jump in and correct the misspelling, but correcting someone's spelling is considered rude and often taken as if it was meant to be a personal insult, even if (and especially if) the correction is correct. No wonder so many people spell so poorly. They could easily be taught to spell well, but everyone's too polite to help them.

Here's another relatively common spelling mistake I saw again recently: using "add" instead of "ad". The word "add" describes the act of adding (think of "addition"), such as adding two numbers together. The word "ad" is short for "advertisement".

wrong: "Did you see the add on tv last night?"
right: "Did you see the ad on tv last night?"

wrong: "Please ad two and two."
right: "Please add two and two."

Another typical example, in reference to someone adding you to their friends list (typically on MySpace):

wrong: "Thanks for the ad."
right: "Thanks for the add."

It's an addition to a friends list, not an advertisement.
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Quote:
On 2010-07-07 13:58, Thom Bliss wrote:
Here’s some hints I have been given:

‘To,’ ‘two,’ ‘too.’
‘To’ can be pronounced as ‘Ta’ or ‘Tah;’ the other two can’t.
‘Two’ is the name of a number.
If it isn’t a number and it can’t be pronounced ‘tah,’ then it’s ‘too.’
“Would it be too much tah ask for you tah go the market tah buy two dozen eggs and maybe some ham, too!”

Thanks,very helpful!
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5098 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I was always taught that when using "to" "two" and "too", substitute the word also. If it fits, then the word is "too".
Where the magic begins
gnosis
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of gnosis
Quote:
On 2010-07-17 16:25, Dave Scribner wrote:
I was always taught that when using "to" "two" and "too", substitute the word also. If it fits, then the word is "too".

It could also mean "very", as in "too cool!" (which means "very cool!", not "also cool!"), or "too much" (which means "very much", not "also much").
gnosis
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of gnosis
Quote:
On 2010-07-17 17:36, gnosis wrote:
It could also mean "very", as in "too cool!" (which means "very cool!", not "also cool!"), or "too much" (which means "very much", not "also much").

Actually, that should be "overly" or "excessively", not "very". A subtle difference, but enough of one for a pedant like me. Smile
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5098 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
There's always an exception to the rule in the English language. I don't think many will use "overly" in place of too or very but you are correct in the absolute.
Where the magic begins
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
With all due respect, as a poor speller I am bothored by people who make posts only to criticize your spelling, or punctuation when you are on a roll. I am beyond help, but my thoughts are clear, and this is not a school teachers forum.
gnosis
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of gnosis
When I make a mistake in spelling (and I've made plenty in my time, believe me.. English is my second language) I am very grateful, assuming they're not doing it in a condescending manner or acting like I'm stupid just because I spelled something wrong. We all make mistakes, and that's fine. But I just enjoy learning and improving, and if someone can help me do that then I am thankful.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
English is my first language, but I spell like it is my second language. LOL
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
To help, use Firefox browser, it has a spell checker built into it.
Dennis Michael
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6588 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2006-09-02 13:21, Mike T wrote:
Everybody has a slip up now and again (whether mental or physical) but I recently shared a tip (by PM) with a user who was getting slated for his spelling. My tip seems to have made a difference so I thought I'd share it around.
After typing a post I cut and paste it into an email and then spell check it, amend if necessary and then cut and paste it back. I know there's loads of programs that will check grammar as well so that would be even better but everyone's got email spell check and hey, it's a start.
The best thing is that it takes seconds to do.

Regards to all, Mike

I guess the grammatical error in the OP slipped by the old spell check!
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6588 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I've never understood poor spelling. When I was in elementary school I used to enter spelling competitions. I think I won four or five over the years. Even as a child I couldn't understand why some couldn't spell. All I had to do when asked to spell a word is see the picture of the written word in my head as my eyes had seen many times while reading. I would simply "look" at the word in my head and then say it for the judges to hear. I didn't understand why everyone didn't do the same. When you read, you see the words written out on paper. Is it not a simple matter to just remember what the word looks like and then reproduce it? Perhaps this is not the case for everyone. Believe me, I don't think I'm smarter than others because I can spell well, I just don't really know how it's possible to be a poor speller provided english is your first language and you know how to read. Can any of you poor spellers enlighten me?
Genuinely curious, Rodney.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-07-29 09:57, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-09-02 13:21, Mike T wrote:
Everybody has a slip up now and again (whether mental or physical) but I recently shared a tip (by PM) with a user who was getting slated for his spelling. My tip seems to have made a difference so I thought I'd share it around.
After typing a post I cut and paste it into an email and then spell check it, amend if necessary and then cut and paste it back. I know there's loads of programs that will check grammar as well so that would be even better but everyone's got email spell check and hey, it's a start.
The best thing is that it takes seconds to do.

Regards to all, Mike

I guess the grammatical error in the OP slipped by the old spell check!

Post of the year!
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Spelling Mistakes (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL