The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Recommendations for Slender, Gapped Fingers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Ananda
View Profile
New user
Jambudvipa
81 Posts

Profile of Ananda
Hello Prestidigitators,

As I read and experiment, I realize that long, slender fingers with nearly 1/8" gaps at the bases (with fingers together, outstretched -- smaller gaps when hand is in fist) make things difficult for card palming, coin manipulations, and palming in general. Do you have any recommendations for (1) sleight of hand tricks that work well for people with hands like mine and (2) tips for working with this 'handicap'.

Many thanks,
-Ananda.
"All phenomena are like a magically conjured illusion, like a mirage, like the moon reflected in water, like empty space, like an echo, like a dream, like a shadow, like an image in a mirror." - Nagarjuna
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
My hands aren't as slender as they used to be, but I still have gaps where they don't close entirely. Try finding a position where the fingertips "overlap" each other a bit so rather than having a perfectly flat hand with gaps, you close the gaps and take advantage of angles so the gaps don't show.

I shot these two photos a while back during a previous discussion on this topic. Maybe they'll help explain what I mean better.

Palm down.
Palm up.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Slightly angle your hands. don't palm things dead on. Work with a mirror.

The great ones came in all different sizes. Don't give up.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Ananda
View Profile
New user
Jambudvipa
81 Posts

Profile of Ananda
Thanks Dave and Josh. I'll experiment some more. If useful, I'll post a picture of my hand so you can see what I'm working with.

Thanks,
-Ananda.
"All phenomena are like a magically conjured illusion, like a mirage, like the moon reflected in water, like empty space, like an echo, like a dream, like a shadow, like an image in a mirror." - Nagarjuna
Noel M
View Profile
Loyal user
San Rafael. CA
208 Posts

Profile of Noel M
I agree with the above, but palming is often as much about timing and misdirection than just the physical moves. I think those who are good at it know when to do it.
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
For me the fear of palming with small hands was greatly reduced when I realized two things. Rotating the "windows" shuts them (per Josh's tip). When and with what misdirection/direction is as important, if not more important than how.(per Noel's tip)
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24221 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Relaxing the hands in a curved postion will help greatly.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Moving the hand, when motivated to do so, will hide gaps. I have gaps between my fingers, yet that doesn't stop me from palming during the card routines. So many factors, including the ones mentioned, go into hiding the card. There have been great performers with handicaps far worse than gaps between the fingers, yet they could palm a card, successfully in performance.
flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
It can be done! I found it reassuring to read other threads on the Café where the hands of many of the "greats" are revealed to be small, full of gaps or other difficulties. My stubby little fingers and gaps suddenly seemed more manageable. So I practice...

Flimnar
"This one goes to eleven..." Nigel Tufnel
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2693 Posts

Profile of sethb
Bill Palmer hit the nail on the head when he suggested relaxing the hand in a curved position.

I also have "windows" between my fingers when they are stretched out straight. But those windows disappear with a proper finger palm, when the fingers are slightly curved, as they would be in normal use. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Ananda
View Profile
New user
Jambudvipa
81 Posts

Profile of Ananda
Hmmm. My 'windows' don't disappear when slightly curved, but 45 degrees off angle they are gone. I think it would seem rather unnatural to the viewer in many situations, though.

-Ananda
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
...only if you call attention to it.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
I agree. There have been times that I've gotten away with palming items that are an inch and a half wider than my hand. ALWAYS have something more important to look at, and make the "dirty" hand the least important thing in the world.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Ananda
View Profile
New user
Jambudvipa
81 Posts

Profile of Ananda
OK. I'm a klutz and can see that I will need to learn misdirection along with prestidigitation if I'm going to be effective. Any reading or video recommendations on the art of misdirection? I'll run a search shortly...

Thanks,
-Ananda.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2693 Posts

Profile of sethb
I would suggest a small but excellent $7 pamphlet called "Don't Look Now," by Al Leech. It's available from Magic, Inc., click HERE to view, and Midwest Magic, click HERE to view.

For more information, you might also try Dariel Fitzgee's "Magic By Misdirection," click HERE for more info. I have not read this and can't comment; some say it is a little dry, others say it's helpful. There's also "Strong Magic" by Darwin Ortiz, click HERE for more info. This is an excellent, thoughtful book about showmanship and presentation that includes a fine chapter on misdirection. One caveat: in my opinion, it's not good for beginners because it references many different tricks and assumes a familiarity with them and their methods.

You can also do a search on the Café', where there are plenty of good posts and discussions about misdirection. Good Luck! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5259 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
My recommendation is to eat more. That solution solved the problem I had with slender fingers and windows. Smile
Ananda
View Profile
New user
Jambudvipa
81 Posts

Profile of Ananda
Thanks for the excellent suggestions on misdirection, Seth.

Larry, I'd thought about that one and decided to look for other solutions first. ;-)

Best,
-Anana
Prof. Pabodie
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Prof. Pabodie
Michael Close put out a great video years ago solely on the art of palming that you should definitely track down; I found it very helpful. I, too, have long fingers and big windows...but when I watch someone like Rene Lavand...or read about someone like Matthew Buchinger (an amazing conjuror who had no feet, thighs or arms!), well, our little problem doesn't seem so insurmountable. Besides, you know what they say about guys with big windows!
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5259 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2006-09-10 13:52, Prof. Pabodie wrote:
"...you know what they say about guys with big windows!"

Um, they flash in public?

Seriously, I used to have skinny fingers and windows and I found that relaxing my hands in a curved position worked for me, as Bill Palmer suggested above.
plungerman
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of plungerman
Good advice all around.

The tricks people do nowadays rarely involve showing the hands empty unless they really are. Apart from card fan productions or such manipulations there are few instances of the hand being shown empty as part of a trick.

Most palming is done on the way to doing some thing else. The card is palmed as the deck is taken by the other hand and placed on the table, etc. Attention is focused and then released.

Does anyone suffer from palming guilt? I have friends whose faces you can read from a mile away, "I'm palming a card!" when they are just palming. But once they are in the Process of a routine, with something to do and a place to go, you will never suspect a thing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Recommendations for Slender, Gapped Fingers (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL