The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Curtis Kam's Dangerous Notions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jim Salabim
View Profile
Loyal user
Skien, Norway
240 Posts

Profile of Jim Salabim
This is my review of Curtis Kam's Dangerous Notions lecture notes.

If you own Palms of Steel 1, 2 or 3 or perhaps all of them, these notes are really for you. I personally own only 2 and 3, and I am waiting for 1 to be released on DVD. From what I hear, Curtis is currently planning this, so hopefully I won't have to wait for very long.
Anyways, if you ever plan to embark on the journey in Curtis Kam’s work I really think these notes will be a great companion along the way. Personally I got an insight in the routines and his ways of thinking, which helped me understand the “whys” and “hows” a little better.
The notes consist of two main sections. The first is called COINS:HowToWhatToWhenToWhyTo, and contains a great deal of insight of his famous routines, like Beijing Coins Across and Triple Alliance. The second section is called WORDS: Scripting Tricks. This section has been very valuable to me since I have very little scripting experience.

COINS:HowToWhatToWhenToWhyTo
Bear in mind that these are lecture notes, not a manuscript or anything else. Curtis starts off with telling briefly about his lecture-opening act. The opening consists of Beijing Coins Across, Through and Through and Chinese Silk and Silver. All, except perhaps for Through and Through, are routines that require quite a skilled magician. He explains why one should or would choose to perform such a difficult act.
After that you can read a few thoughts on the individual routines. The Beijing Coins across runs a few pages long and is quite detailed.
Next are a few pages of thoughts and ideas on VCA/3 Fly. The next routine is Triple Alliance 2.0 (my personal favorite). Here you get a full routine explained in detail. This is a must-have for any coinworker. Next up is discussion and analysis of a variation of "Flying Eagles". Finally you can read the details of the Silk and Silver routine.
All in all, you get 3 complete routines (Triple Alliance, Flying Eagles, Silk and Silver), and a lot of thoughts to accompany you on your journey through the Palms of Steel DVD’s.

WORDS: Scripting Tricks
This section is really a gem. Me, having no experience in scripting whatsoever, have had a great fun and a tremendous learning-experience with this. He explains the three main categories of how magic is presented (stories, lectures, games). You’ll learn how to analyze your routines, categorize them and script them. The most fantastic part is the examples. Here you’ll see how the master himself analyzes and scripts 5 complete routines.

I have for some time been a great fan of Curtis Kam’s work. His supreme technical skill, works as an inspiration for me to keep practicing. His presentation is clean, natural and confident, and every move, every sleight, every word is carefully selected to suit the purpose. By reading these lecture notes you’ll get an insight in how a great magician thinks and how he works.

Last but not least, Curtis added what he called “a little extra” to the package before shipping it to me. The little extra, was a fantastic walkaround routine using only four coins. The notes are called Mr. Eclectic. The notes do not explain every slight and every technique used, but rather explains how he uses other people’s routines to create a full walkaround routine. In order to get full advantage of this you’ll have to buy a couple of other notes from other people. All in all, a great gift from a great magician.

The only thing that disappoints me is that he did not sign the notes before he shipped them. Next time I’ll remember to ask…

If you’d like to get your hands on these notes, go ahead and PM Curtis Kam here at the cafè.
tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
787 Posts

Profile of tedski
It is a great manuscript - especially the scripting advice.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Curtis Kam's Dangerous Notions (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL