The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Two Towers... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Florian Rago
View Profile
Loyal user
Lincolnshire
202 Posts

Profile of Florian Rago
Has anyone seen the Two Towers yet? It is amazing. It starts a bit slow but after half an hour you don't care. As for the battles, wow. The battle at Helms Deep with over 10,000 orcs, the mounted battle in Rohan, and the brilliant Treebeard leading his army to destroy Saruman are tremendous. There is also the wonderful scene in which the trees withstand the tide of the dam after breaking it. Then there's Gandalf leading the horsemen down the steep slope straight into the orcs, Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli and the king of Rohan riding out on horse back into the orc army. Also when Legolas shoots down the siege ladder and you see the ladder teetering over the army before smashing down on top of some orcs.
I would give this film 100/100

What do you guys think?

Florian R
Jeff Chesnut
View Profile
New user
Ada, Michigan
56 Posts

Profile of Jeff Chesnut
What a great movie! I was totally blown away by it. I usually don't care for movies based on books that I've read because your imagination is usually so much better, and different, than the movie. This one even blows my imagination away!

It's a lot of fun for me, too, that my kids are being introduced to Lord of the Rings. I read the trilogy about 25-30 years ago when I was in Jr. High and High School. Now I'm listening to arguments between my 16 yr. old daughter and my wife as to who's hotter, Legolas (my daughter) or Aragorn (my wife.) My two boys, ages 8 and 12, are battling orcs with foam rubber swords as I type this.

I'm anxiously awaiting part III. I'm already disappointed that that will be the end of them, though.
Alex W.
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of Alex W.
I saw it on Friday. I'm not sure which movie was better; I know I enjoyed the first one more because I wasn't expecting it. But the second one was great too.
Kathryn Novak
View Profile
Special user
PA
574 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Novak
I have got to visit New Zealand sometime. The scenery there is beautiful. Legolas had some cool moves. The comedy with Gimli was priceless. And the theater was packed!
If anyone sees my sanity, please return it to

me.
HiveMind
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of HiveMind
Smeagol was my favoritses *gollum*. I likes
the way it does the conflict of the pitiful,
little, CREATURESES!. Master
did us *gollum* good with this one, my
precious.

Great interpretation. I can't wait for The
Return Of The King.

[ Edited for bad spelling mistakeses ]
"Free will is an illusion." - B.F. Skinner
Kathryn Novak
View Profile
Special user
PA
574 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Novak
Oh yeah! That reminds me. Does anyone happen to know the name of the actor who played Gollum? It's on the tip of my tounge but I just can't get at it.

me.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
I am not a big Tolkien fan, he puts me to sleep everytime I try to read more than a few paragraphs of his mega opus. My wife drug me to see the first film last year and I have to admit that it was a very good adaptation of the book as I fell asleep several times while watching it.
Fortunately she went yesterday with a group of girlfriends so I won't have to doze through this one as well.
Heard it was real good, just not my cup O' tea.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
Quote:
On 2002-12-23 14:48, IceRaven02 wrote:
Oh yeah! That reminds me. Does anyone happen to know the name of the actor who played Gollum? It's on the tip of my tounge but I just can't get at it.

Andy Serkis is the ingenius fellow's name. Actually convinced me that he was a better choice than Steve Buscemi. Although I still think Gollum _looks_ like Steve Buscemi...

-bigwolf {*}
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it. -Phillip K. Dick

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? -Chico Marx
HiveMind
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of HiveMind
That he does! I would not have put my finger
to that one had you not brought it up. I
didn't know Buscemi was up for the part, that
is interesting.
Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
I don't know if Steve was contacted about the part, but when casting was going on there were legions of fans proclaiming he would be perfect. Peter Jackson's casting has been impeccable so far, Andy for Gollum included, so I am not going to second guess him.

-bigwolf {*}
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it. -Phillip K. Dick

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? -Chico Marx
mattneufeld
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of mattneufeld
I saw the film Saturday and it's not over-exaggerating to say that "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" is a masterwork. In all areas, on all levels, this film is far above average, worth seeing, memorable, and easily one of the best films of 2002. To be brief, one of the highlights of "Towers" is the literate, eloquent writing--as much a nod to Tolkien as it is a nod to Shakespeare or other literate fantasy and medieval writers--and the assured filmic use of that writing. There are moments of sweeping camera angles and beautiful vistas, crowd scenes or set pieces, and the monologues delivered over the various images not only give the story purpose, but add depth, characterization, relevence and--something needed at the movies--intelligence. Thus, you have not just battle scenes or conversations or fights, but actual words to convey some sense of explanation as to why those images matter, and their purpose in the grand scheme of it all. Intelligent, thought-provoking writing and the proper filmic use of such writing is what elevates films to the above-average league. Plus, there's Liv Tyler.
HiveMind
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of HiveMind
Ahh yes... Liv.

:)

About the Intelligence comment,
I think this is very true, you really have to
pay attention to it all... for 3 hours...
which many people are not used to. There are
so many things that are refrences from one
thing or another you need to keep in mind,
from book to book, and of course... the
Silmarillion which brings even more depth to
the story from what I hear... I am kicking
myself that I still have not read it. This
is not to mention, The Hobbit which most
people I know that go to LOTR movies have not
read and so, do not get alot of the refs.
Dan Farmer
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Nevada
235 Posts

Profile of Dan Farmer
Quote:
On 2002-12-23 15:04, Payne wrote:
I am not a big Tolkien fan, he puts me to sleep everytime I try to read more than a few paragraphs of his mega opus. My wife drug me to see the first film last year and I have to admit that it was a very good adaptation of the book as I fell asleep several times while watching it.
Fortunately she went yesterday with a group of girlfriends so I won't have to doze through this one as well.
Heard it was real good, just not my cup O' tea.

Interestingly enough I also fall straight asleep when trying to read Tolkien's novels but I absolutely love these movies. I only have half of the first book to use as a ruler but using that and with what other people say I appreciate that it is a faithful adaption that is exciting to watch. Very good for people like me who could not tolerate the book.

Oddly enough, I have read all of David Eddings and Robert Jordan's books; when you can spend your summer reading 900+ page books one after the other but can't make it through 3 measely Tolkien books that's gotta say something.

-Dan
HiveMind
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of HiveMind
Hmmm I don't know. My father (an english
teacher) almost puts Tolkien in the same
category as Stephen King and Frank Herbert
(he thinks them both hacks) I don't really
understand that. I think Tolkien is poetic,
and pays more attention to saying the things
he says in a very precise and poetic way and
I like the style. I think what it really says
is that people that don't like Tolkien, just
don't like Tolkien, nothing more and nothing
less. I hate Dickens... go figure.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5707 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Really liked the depiction of the wizards! Just wished that in the final battle, Gandalf would've used his staff for magic rather than as a bludgeon! Well, I thought he was a wizard!
Sorry for nitpicking! Loved the story though!
It says something about the movie when you can get the MTV generation to sit for 3 hours in a world where the music videos are 3 minutes in length! Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
HiveMind
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of HiveMind
The Maiar don't use their magic lightly Smile
(wizard is a slightly misleading term to
explain what power Gandalf is)
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5707 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
But he was in a battle with thousands of Orcs! If that was not serious enough, what is?
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
HiveMind
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of HiveMind
I tried to think of a way to answer that
without a longwinded explaination, and I
can't. It is part of Gandalf's nature
which perhaps is not well explained in the
movies.

Gandalf is not mortal, and he answers to a
higher power. He is only on Middle-Earth
to finsish a task that began before people
existed there. When he is done, he will leave
as was said in the Two Towers.

I'm sure this answer will not suffice. All I
can say is if you need a better explaination
you might want to read the books.
Kathryn Novak
View Profile
Special user
PA
574 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Novak
I like a book to have a balance between action and description (in other words, I like to get a picture in my head of where the character is, what he looks like and what he's doing.) When I first read the hobbit I found the story lacked a little in the action department at some points, which is probably what puts then to sleep.

me.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
Surely they will do a Star Wars here and decide later to make a film of the Hobbit.
I think that perhaps if they had done the Hobbit first it would have set the scene in one film ready for the LOTR.
Phillip
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Two Towers... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL