The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Looking for strong visual to attract first few (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Great feedback guys...

As for the kids... I often do a simple colour deception with my Favourite colours black and white, with Will smiths"s "Switch" as the background music.

When I get half way thru some of the adults have a mild look of amusement but it turns to astonishment at the finish. The kids love it and the adults then eat it up because they know I am not going to waste everyones time.

Plays very quick, lots of audience interaction and then sets up a strong card trick. By the end off the trick my build is really going and then I can rock the rest...

Fat hats to all on the street.
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17116 Posts

Profile of joseph
Want to see crowd attraction? Check out Bill Abbott's The Thing....really cool.....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2750 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-09-09 00:54, Frank Starsini wrote:
Next time you get a chance, do the red rag trick for a little kid and watch the reactions as it vanishes and reappears in their sleeve (or wherever).

do the trick at half speed. the reactions are priceless and will bring you back. getting down on a knee and doing something like this for a kid makes you feel great when you see how much they love it. and when a group sees you really giving an honest performance to some little kid, you'll win them over too.

If you don't have 'seriously silly' get it for soem great ideas on how to present the effect in several very entertaining ways.

I have done a trap pass at Wal*Mart for the kids. (Fake fruit in the crafts section.) They love it!

Maybe I just got burned out watching it be done so badly and so often.

Weird moment, my kid found my TT and asked what it was. I vanished a dime with it and he was still stunned when it came back in the "wrong" hand!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2124 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Just do something which passersby can't possibly help but notice....like the kinetik sphere, impossiblehank, or an airborne effect.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
FlippingWonderful
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of FlippingWonderful
Use flash paper/wool, that'll catch people's eyes... fire wallet, or a production

Works in table hopping, mix'n'mingle and street for me.
martysh
View Profile
Elite user
Greenville,SC
468 Posts

Profile of martysh
My input on ttips...

you haven't lived until you pull a silk out of spectator's sleeve. It is what I can't wait to get to when I do this. (imagine how close you are when you do this maybe it makes you even more acceptable by the spec's as you make them part of the act..etc)

tips need and should never fit all the way down. if it lodges in a fixed state sticking way out you can still show hands pointing straight to specs and never get caught (like a flash of the hands). No need for a custom made job here.. just plan on it a bit...forward..

Nothing here that any of the guys couldn't agree with or don't already know.... but if you haven't tried this on the sleeves or worried less about the fit you are miles behind us all and missing out on a lot of powerful medicine.

Marty
Greenville,SC
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Folks some of the ideas are already paying off.

I took a 12 foot section of rope and tied two hangman's nooses on each end. the Finished product is about 4 feet long.

I perform as a "Pirate" so swinging the rope in a big loop while trying to skewer a loop with my cutlass draws the start of a crowd. The other is that I explain to couples that it is an anti-Visa Card use device.
Both of these are having the desired results.

Thanks so much....
LeeDillingham
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
263 Posts

Profile of LeeDillingham
Grap a set of eight 10" to 12" linking rings and go into a well-rehersed routine. You will have a crowd in seconds.

Jeff McBride once said to me that he could have every thing taken away (except his rings) and he could come out of the Ganji River, shake off and draw a crowd and start making a living.
nick nickolas
View Profile
New user
Melbourne Australia
78 Posts

Profile of nick nickolas
Dice Stacking, Rope Routine, Noise/Music, coin routines, fire, nakedness...
Will all stop the first part of your edge..
Nick
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
NIck,
Trust me.... the concept of me and nakedness would never build a crowd other than policeman and guys with a jacket that has long sleeves... and they do it up so you cant escape...LOL
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3202 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2006-09-07 11:33, mikevandecarr wrote:
I've worked with a piece of construction paper wrapped in black electrical tape as a thumb tip on a dare and never got caught. a TT works as long as YOU don't draw attention to it.

good luck,
Mike

that's true. I remember hemming and hawing about weather or not a TT was the right color in a shop when I was a kid in Chicago. Old Man Ash said: "you (sic) missing da point!"

then did a appearing/ disappearing hankerchief right in front of me and it looked great!

Then he showed me the bright red WD-40 spray can cap he was using as the TT.

Changed my mind right quick!

G
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I've also used dice stacking to build a crowd. It's got noise and something nobody's ever seen before. It works well. It looks impossible but is quite easy to learn.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24273 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2006-09-06 05:40, Laird wrote:
Ninja Rings, Chrime, Bright, can't ignore them......

Those are a tad small for attracting a crowd.

Mandrake:

I can't blame you for hating the wretched red rag, based on seeing bad magicians.

But I can get a good, solid five minutes out of it, and I don't flail my hands about.

People who abuse the thumb tip should suffer amputations. Even Ursula Martinez.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2006-09-16 21:59, Bill Palmer wrote:

Then where would she put the.... oh, never mind.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:

How sad that we should notice such things.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24273 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
On second thought, that didn't scan quite the way I thought it would.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2124 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
(just did a search on the name Ursula Martinez & found the act)

WOW!!! Takes the expression "nuthin' up my sleeve" to a whole new dimension!
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
warren lee
View Profile
New user
Conn,
14 Posts

Profile of warren lee
New to busking,as stated before,STOP the kid and youre on your way.Or as Nick probably forgot,Light a moose on Fire?
My hat takes checks
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Good thread, funny thing I hated the TT my self other than in the last 2 weeks I have been using just that to get my hedge.

I think I disliked it so much because in the UK it has been qwite expossed so out of fear I did not use it. I am glad to say that I have rediscovered it.
Mario
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Quote:
On 2006-09-16 22:16, Dave VanVranken wrote:
Quote:

Then where would she put the.... oh, never mind.

She used a thumbtip?!?!?!? (just kidding)
What would Wavy do?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Looking for strong visual to attract first few (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL