We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Easy to Build, Inexpensive Throne Appearance (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
I am looking to build a Throne Appearance as easy and inexpensive as possible. It is to make King Rat appear in pantomime. We don't have any t*******s, so that idea is out of the question. I was looking for something that is completely contained within the throne, and a flashpot or smoke burst covering the appearance. Any ideas anybody?

Mark
Mark Daniel
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Try to find a copy of "Tops Treasury of Illusions" (Abbott publication). It has the plans for Tome Palmer's Satan's Seat. It is exactly what you are looking for. I build one about 15 years ago and it worked great. Be sure to double check all measurements to accommodate the size of the person who will be using it.

I should mention that this is not a casual project. There are many details, all of which are necessary to this thing functioning properly. It may not fit your desire for easy and inexpensive, but it is a very good illusion.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Jim Gerrish has a PVC Pipe version of Tony Andruzzi's (Tom Palmer) throne appearance in his PVC Pipe Illusion Book 3, "Merlyn's Throne." It is much easier and less expensive to build than a wooden version, but it won't stand up as well. Still, if you aren't going on the road with it or expect it to last for several years, it's a quick and easier solution. If later you decide to build a more permanent version, you will have the dimensions and experience to do so from having made the PVC pipe version. It's on my site if you are interested.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Thanks guys for your help. It is just a simple solution I am after, I have nowhere to store it once pantomime is over and have no use for it in my own show so the PVC Pipe version sounds ideal.

Spellbinder, I'm not after going into methods but is this a quick fool proof appearance? Also are the plans on your site downloads? If so that's great as I'm in England.

Does anyone else have experience with the PVC Pipe Merlyn's Throne?

Mark
Mark Daniel
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The fool proofness of the appearance is not in the materials from which you make the throne, but in the thoroughness with which you practice and rehearse. You could have a throne made by Andruzzi himself and screw it up by lack of rehearsal.

The quick part is in the construction from PVC pipe. This can be delayed if you don't have the right kinds of connectors, but sources for getting the connectors on the Internet are given on my site in the FREE PVC workshop by Brooks Owens. You might want to look in there before you decide to build from PVC pipe. However, it's just like putting together a giant tinkertoy once you get the hang of it. I should note that the actual seat, which is not actually seen, is made of plywood, so you don't have to worry about whether the pipes will hold you or not if you are on the pleasingly plump side, like myself.

Yes, the plans are on my site. You don't download them... you order them through PayPal and I e-mail you the plans. It's almost the same thing, except all transactions involve human interaction, just like in a real magic store, so it takes a bit longer (but within 24 hours of ordering, you'll have them).

Several people from the Magic Café have ordered the complete set of PVC Pipe Books, and several more have ordered JUST the Merlyn's Throne plans. I would also like to hear from people who actually built the throne and are using it in shows. I have never gotten any complaints or questions about the Throne plans, so I assume that no news is good news, but it would be nice to hear from others who use them, besides Jim Gerrish who might be considered biased in his own favor.

Posted: Sep 7, 2006 11:32am
One other caveat: in any of the various Throne appearances, the person making the appearance has to be wearing trousers or tights- no dresses or long robes. The Rat King may have to watch out for his tail. This is true for all versions of the Throne Appearance that I know of.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Very helpful Spellbinder. Thanks for your help. Just deciding whether to get the full set of plans or just the plans for Merlyn's Throne...

Mmm...

Mark
Mark Daniel
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Easy to Build, Inexpensive Throne Appearance (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL