The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New New Yorker (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Hey folks. Two weeks ago I took a plunge and am now trying to take my life in an upward direction, and have moved to New York.

I graduated from the North Carolina School of the Arts, School of Filmmaking with a BFA in Filmmaking in June. My primary studies at NCSA were in screenwriting and film sound.

I've been pounding the pavement here in NY, and have a few interesting leads, but I thought I'd put this out into cyberspace and see if any of you fellow Café dwellers had any insight.

So, if anyone knows of any leads or opportunities in an area of film, television, or radio, please don't hesistate to contact me.

Thanks!

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
If I was in New York area, I would work at TROMA!!!! They don't pay anything, but you do get treated badly - good luck.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Film? Aren't you on the wrong coast? Smile
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Hey, they have McDonalds on both coast in need of managers.
Steve V
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I love NEW YORK!!! Join the IFP... get the local trade papers and check out people doing projects... try to get involved in as many student and low budget projects as possible... network, network, network... and enjoy the fabulous pizza!!!

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
elecktra
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of elecktra
Kevin,
Currently between 86th street and 110th (BETWEEN AMSTERDAM AND bROADWAY)they are currently filming Law and Order and CSI. They have a lot of crew people just hanging around the area who love to talk to people during their long breaks and could possibly give you some info. There's also a paper out for people who want to work in film similar to the Back Stage paper, but I can't recall the name right now.
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
As for the west coast deal, it's not the place for me at the moment. I've spent a good bit of time out there, I had a pretty good internship in LA last summer. NY is a bit more "homey" to me, and my financial situation right now allows for NY much more easily than the west coast would. That, and there's still plenty of work going on up here! True, LA will always be the heart of it, but NY is definitely a close second.

Steve - I'd consider that, but I'd get way too fat from eating nothing but McDonald's food. I'll keep it in mind as a last-ditch option.

Thanks for the tips Greg and Elecktra. I've done a fair bit of production work, 4 days here, a month there, you know how it can be.

I'd definitely love to have full-time employment though rahter than jumping from gig to gig as they go.

Ah, the life of an uncertain career path. Why couldn't my parents just force me to be a doctor or lawyer?

Take care.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
John Born
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of John Born
Hey Kevin -

Welcome to NYC.

John B. Born
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
PM'd you.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I miss New York. I was there for eight years banging my head against the wall that is professional theatre. I got as far as off-off-Broadway, and now I work at a Wal*Mart in Providence, RI!

Do better!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Without wishing to be too sarcastic... we now have more students than ever going to University in the UK, all studying highly useful subjects such as Media Studies, Social Sciences, Golf Green Management etc, etc. They now wonder why they can't get a job with a degree !!

Howard
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
John - Thanks for the welcome. You and I met very briefly back in Kansas City at the IBM Convention. I was able to watch your Matrix performance, which was very impressive. Maybe I'll see you around sometime.

Bugjack- Thanks for the PM

Mandrake - I'll try! I find that things tend to work themselves out for the best in the end.

Howard - That's also the case over here. I've read many articles over here about people who major in Klingon, playing video games, etc. Luckily, the school I attended is very hands on and preps us to work in the real world. We get to learn by doing, rather than just learning theories out of books. All of my professors worked professionally in the business on well-known films and television shows. So, hopefully I've developed a useful, marketable skill set. Maybe I should have studied Klingon though...

Thanks everyone!

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Good Luck anyway Kevin..I suppose I could also say that having a Degree in Electronics still didn't save from being made redundant after 30 years..then again
if you are wanting to save money..get rid of the highest paid . C'est la vie..another of lifes little conondrums.

Howard
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Hey...If I end up going that's what my majors are going to be! I live in Charlotte and NCSA is pretty close.

Brett.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Brett - If you wind up going, you will love it there. I would say that my time at NCSA gave me the best 4 years of my life (so far).

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the school, the application process, etc.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Kevin,

Having weighed the pro's and con's for yourself, I can only wish you the very very best! May you be satisifed in your pursuits and all you do Smile
cardone
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of cardone
Hello .... NYC is a great city to live in ...I have been here for about 11 years now and I must say it never gets boring ...........Any questions let me know.. Most of my friends that work in film and Tv moved to the west...... but I know a lot of TV and film happens in NYC ......good luck...
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-09-07 09:57, Mercury52 wrote:
Mandrake - I'll try! I find that things tend to work themselves out for the best in the end.

Thanks everyone!

Kevin

Then I imagine it's for the best that I'm not a filthy rich actor living in a split-level penthouse in NYC and am instead a struggling Wal*Mart associate who can't even find the energy to put together a set of Slydini T&R papers.

I can't imagine WHY that's for the best, but I have to assume it is!

*cy*
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2006-09-08 23:45, mandrake01 wrote:

Then I imagine it's for the best that I'm not a filthy rich actor living in a split-level penthouse in NYC and am instead a struggling Wal*Mart associate who can't even find the energy to put together a set of Slydini T&R papers.

*cy*

I don't know my brother but I will be present on the 14th. floor of a Dallas Bankruptcy attorney who will process a dear friend's bankruptcy to the tune of 6 million. Those numbers mean nothing to his attorney and certainly mean less to those worth far more.

I also have a friend who just began his first venture at age 28. He's sure he will be the next Bill Gates.

I've been to heaven and hell many times and depending on which day you find me, I'll be at one or the other.

I've seen your posts over time and like ya.

Stay on track, and yes, when the time is right, knock 'em dead.

Oh so dead Smile
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-09-09 02:09, RandyStewart wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-09-08 23:45, mandrake01 wrote:

*cy*

I don't know my brother but I will be present on the 14th. floor of a Dallas Bankruptcy attorney who will process a dear friend's bankruptcy to the tune of 6 million. Those numbers mean nothing to his attorney and certainly mean less to those worth far more.

I also have a friend who just began his first venture at age 28. He's sure he will be the next Bill Gates.

I've been to heaven and hell many times and depending on which day you find me, I'll be at one or the other.

I've seen your posts over time and like ya.

Stay on track, and yes, when the time is right, knock 'em dead.

Oh so dead Smile

Thanks! It's kinda nice to be told you're liked! That actually made my day!

oooooh such dead will I knock them! (With apologies to Invader Zim)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New New Yorker (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL