The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » What is the best resource for building illusions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

adzimme
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of adzimme
All,

I don't think I've seen this posted so if its out I apologize in advance. What is the best resource to study the building of magic props?

Thanks,

Alan
Magic Monkichi
View Profile
Elite user
Ontario, Canada
401 Posts

Profile of Magic Monkichi
Hi Alan;

I would definatly suggest Osborne's books 1-4 on illusion building, as well as his Classic Illusions books.

Another good resoure is The Great Illusions of Magic two volume set. I believe by Wells? I could be totally wrong on the author but again a good reference.

Hope this helps in some way.

Matt
ggarcia
View Profile
Veteran user
San Antonio Tx
388 Posts

Profile of ggarcia
I also want to build my own illusion. Are there any opinions on the book "The Seven Basic Secrets of Illusion Design by Eric Van Duzer".
BRodgers
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of BRodgers
Ggarcia-
I have this book, and it does not have any actual illusion plans. It is more of a text book on basic illusion concepts and methods. It covers every type of illusion, which will give you insperation to create something new. If you have any more specific questions, PM me.

Brian
Creator of The Phantom Band 360
magicjohn2278
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man UK
536 Posts

Profile of magicjohn2278
The seven basic secrets is a brilliant book for anyone wanting to create their own illusions. (And very readable too!)
adzimme
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of adzimme
Thanks to all.
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
Add Rand Woodburys's "Illusionworks" series!!!! and Mark Parker's "4Effect"
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
The original question, "What is the best resource to study the building of magic props?" Doesn't say a whole lot.

For the very basics and step by step, the "Illusionworks Videos" 1-4 are a great help, especially in deceptive bases and deceptive steps. It involves painting, glueing, cutting and design. To get a feel for it buy one and if you like it buy the others if they can be found. It doesn't give dimensions only the how-to build illusions. (Since this is in the illusion section.)

Other hidden gems of books are:

• The Make-up of Magic by Micky Hades (On making,& painting,of Magic Props)
  • Build Your Own Illusions Complete Text & Drawings for 20 Practical Illusions by Jim Sommers
  • Professional Illusion Building for the Home Craftsman by Dick Gustafson
  • Stage Illusions for the 1-2 or 3 Performer Show by Burling "Volta" Hull (Hades Publications)
  • Illusions by Abbott's Magic Company
Dennis Michael
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
559 Posts

Profile of pradell
Check out this page for a list of illusion books:

http://www.magicauction.com/IllusionHotl......ooks.htm

:magicrabbit:
Face
View Profile
Elite user
495 Posts

Profile of Face
I also suggest, like Matt, Osborne's books 1-4.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » What is the best resource for building illusions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL