The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Resource for statistical facts on magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Zion Naobi
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
30 Posts

Profile of Zion Naobi
I'm looking for a resource in which I can find a couple of usefull statistical facts. I'm looking for stuff such as: which cards do people most often choose when asked to think of any card? What part of the spread are cards most commonly picked from? What are the factors that directly influence the choice, etc?

Thanks in advance.
Best,

Leroy
Phil C
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
903 Posts

Profile of Phil C
I would be interested in such information too.
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
You can find info on the most commonly chosen cards in Banachek's "Psychological Subtlties" and, I believe, "The Psychology of the Psychic" by David F. Marks and Richard Kammann. Note that just having a list of msot commonly chosen cards doesn't necessarily mean much, as it can be affected by many factors such as cultural references, the specfic way it is asked, who is doing the asking, etc. Derren Brown has shown that it's possible to influence what a spectator thinks by using a script and a set of choreographed gestures.

As far as what part of a spread a card will be chosen from, unless they are for some reason very skeptical, they'll generally chose a card from the most readily available location. If they are closest to the center of the spread, they'll likely choose from the center. If they're to the right, the from the right side of the spread, etc. Again, the literature is full of examples of ways to force cards from a tabled spread. Check out Expert Card Technique as well as Card College. The most important thing here is gaining an understanding of the psychological factors that can influence what people feel "comforatable" choosing and what they don't. Juan Tamariz's "Five Points in Magic", while it doesn't contain material directly related to this can help you understand some of the psychology and body language, specifically when he talks about creating "shadowed" areas. Pit Hartling also has some work on this in his book "Card Fictions".

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Resource for statistical facts on magic (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL