The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Cutting a newspaper to reveal cards - reference? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EricHenning
View Profile
Loyal user
Laurel, Maryland
218 Posts

Profile of EricHenning
Last night at Ring 50's New Members' Show, a gentleman did a wonderful, novel routine that I had never seen before.
When I asked him where it was published, he told me he'd been performing it for so many years he'd long since forgotten.
Perhaps someone out here can help.
Here's the routine:

Three audience helpers select cards, which are the 8H, 8S and 4D. The chosen cards are shuffled back into the deck, by a helper if desired.
The magus takes the deck behind his back and attempts to find the three cards, but fails.
He then picks up a fold piece of newspaper, makes one cut, and unfolds it to reveal EIGHT HEARTS cut in the paper.
Refolding it, he makes another cut, and unfolds it revealing EIGHT SPADES in formation.
Folding it one last time with one more cut, he makes FOUR DIAMONDS.

This plays HUGE, and I'd really like to add it to my show.
Does anyone have a reference for this?

Thanks,
Eric Henning
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Ron Bauer, Sen. Crandall
Ed Oschmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Lake Worth FL
1022 Posts

Profile of Ed Oschmann
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
No, no, no!

Sorry gentlemen, but the Crandall "Cut Up Card Trick" is nothing like what the original poster described. In fact, the only similarity is that the performer cuts a piece of paper to reveal the selection.

Eric, the Crandall trick IS wonderful. Don't get me wrong. But, what you are asking about is a different trick entirely. I don't know the specific method, but it sounds like something I am familiar with. There is some preparation neccessary to get the three-part revelation that you are after. PM me if you want more info, since this is an open forum...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Sounds like an effect Geoffery Buckingham was doing over 30 years ago...he had it published in one of his sets of lecture notes.

Mike
Doctor REvil
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of Doctor REvil
Not sure but there is a routine like this in Unconventional Magic by Lewis Ganson........

hope that helps
Karma means you buy now & pay later.....think I've over spent....!

Check out my ebooks at the lybrary.....

http://www.lybrary.com/david-gemmell-m-13404.html
giochi
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of giochi
Diggin up an old thread here- but did you ever find out what the origins of this trick are?
cigmas
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of cigmas
There is a version of this trick in Paul Clive's "Card Tricks Without Skill." It is called Pips in the News and is on p.190 in my old hard back edition (1959). In this version a 2, 4, or a 6 of any suit can be produced.
saxonia
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of saxonia
Tonny van Dommelen showed this (with 8H, 8S and 4D) at FISM 1955 in Amsterdam.
saxonia
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of saxonia
...and it is described in Lewis Ganson's "Unconventional Magic" as "Tonny (sic!) van Dommelen's 'Front Page Cards'"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Cutting a newspaper to reveal cards - reference? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL