The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Mikame Auto Silk Changer - What size of the silk? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lui
View Profile
Regular user
Berlin, Germany
108 Posts

Profile of lui
Hello everybody!

I would like to change an opaque silk into a transparent one. For
an In-the-hand-change Mikame Craft offers an Auto Silk Changer
(e.g.: http://www.stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=863).
To me this device appears to be a little small. Does anybody knows
what size of silk will fit?
Nathan J. Roberts
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of Nathan J. Roberts
I believe you can get 18 inch in it if the momme weight is right.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1616 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Yes, a lightweight 18 inch silk works fine. A regular weight, 18" diamond-cut silk is no problem. I own this device by Mikame, and I like it very much.

Here's a tip if you buy it :

Cover over the two little "hooks" on the upper spool with double-sided Scotch tape. The double-sided Scotch tape will grab the silk and draw it onto the spool, but will not rip or snag the corner of the silk. There is also no fumbling as you try to attach the silk to the upper spool. Just press firmly with your thumb or finger to make sure it contacts the double-sided tape, and then proceed to appear to draw it through your hand. With practice, this can be done in what appears to be one continuous, smooth action.

You will need to replace the tape every few performances as it looses it's stickiness.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20496 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2006-09-10 21:49, David Todd wrote:
Yes, a lightweight 18 inch silk works fine. A regular weight, 18" diamond-cut silk is no problem. I own this device by Mikame, and I like it very much.

The difference here is that an 18" diamond-cut silk looks like a 24" silk but takes less space than an 18" square silk of the same momme.

If your space will take an 18" square, it will take a 24" diamond cut. That will look like a 36" square!

Enjoy!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
lui
View Profile
Regular user
Berlin, Germany
108 Posts

Profile of lui
Thank you Nathan, David, and Bob for your help.

My idea was to strip a silk to the fabrics of fantasy (to change a silk into a juggling scarf), and then use it for another effect. For this reason, a diamond-cut silk, while being optimal for the change, seems not to be as beautiful for further display and use. I will try to reduce the juggling scarf to a 18 inch size, but it is a kind of fiddly to get the hems right. So, maybe someone can recommend a better material?

Alternatively, I’ll try to build a larger changing device, as soon as I will find some suited gears. However, I’m not sure if it can be sufficiently concealed by the hand. Replacing the hooks by a pen clip like holder might save for the Scotch tape.

BTW, has anybody some experience with the Automatic Colour Changing Silk – device from Nielsen? (eg. https://midwestmagic.net/shop/item.asp?itemid=3885 )
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1616 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2006-09-17 11:01, lui wrote:

BTW, has anybody some experience with the Automatic Colour Changing Silk – device from Nielsen? (eg. https://midwestmagic.net/shop/item.asp?itemid=3885 )

Yes, I used the Nielsen device before I switched to the Mikame. (I didn't know they were still available. I sold mine on eBay a while ago.) The Nielsen will take a slightly larger silk than the Mikame. I think if you could find the necessary parts to make a larger version of the Mikame, you could conceal it (about the same level of difficulty as concealing a long-pour gimmick). It seems to me I've seen this sort of changing device described in a book somewhere, and it showed how you could make one from simple parts. Is it in Greater Magic or The Secret Ways of Al Baker? Something like that. If I think of it, I'll post back here or PM you. I'm not near my books right now, or I'd look for it.

If you get the Nielsen device, I would advise the same thing with the hooks: replace them with double-sided Scotch tape (or a pen clip, like you suggest).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Mikame Auto Silk Changer - What size of the silk? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL