We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Totally impromptu (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
spfranz
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
137 Posts

Profile of spfranz
Something I've been thinking about lately - what effect to do when you meet someone for the first time, they find out you're a magician, ask to see something, and you have nothing (prop wise) with you. What do you do?

My thoughts are that I want something that is a killer effect and requires something that I always have with me. I don't normally carry props with me but what I do have: a pen, two rings (wedding bands), wallet (with bills, credit cards, etc.), change in my pocket, and my brain (usually).

Thoughts?
Never ask a dog to watch your food.
craig fothers
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of craig fothers
I usually carry a TT around... they’re always handy anyway... but I usually have some cards in my wallet too!

The effect I usually perform firstup was shown to me by an Australian magician named Clifford Warne... and I "pull" the spec through a card.

It's not a killer effect... but it's a bit of fun. Lay folk are usually more suprised at the fact that I tear a hole in a card! Smile

Maybe I need to play with that one...
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1093 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
I always carry coins for coins across and rubberbands for Crazyman's Handcuffs.
Bernard Sim
spfranz
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of spfranz
OK, great things to carry with you but what if, for some reason, you don't have them with you?
Gavin W
View Profile
New user
UK
68 Posts

Profile of Gavin W
Then do a disappearing act Smile
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
How about Coins thru Table, 5 Object Equivoke, Centre tear or Equivalent,
it all depends on what you see around you, happen to have, or can borrow.

Or, how about a 20 object memory
also in one of the Paul Harris books
there is a method of apparently producing a large rock from your shoe. I have used this to produce ashtrays, drinking glasses any thing I think will get a good reaction.

phillip Smile
spfranz
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of spfranz
Hey Phillip - any idea what the Paul Harris effect is called?
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
It is called "Earth Shoes" by Looy Simonoff
and it is in the book "Super Magic" by Paul Harris page 102

phillip
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
615 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
Some impromptu effects that come to mind that require little, if any, setup (and the associated props):

"Starcle" by Dan Harlan (paper napkin)

Magic Square (pen & paper)

"Bipolar George" (paper money with a portrait such as a $1 bill - George Washington's face changes expression visibly on the bill as it's being tilted)

That transposition trick where you roll two bills together, back-to-back and at right angles to each other, and they instantly switch to being face-to-face. Strangely, few layfolk have ever seen this one and it's a stunner to them.

"Two Penny Trick" by Tenkai, a.k.a. "Tenkai Pennies" in Bobo's book (two small coins and a decent Goshman Pinch.

Salt Shaker Thru Table (salt shaker, coin, napkin)

"Arnold Schwarzenquarter" by Scott Franz, who started this whole thread (a US quarter or any other small coin)

"Finger Fantasies" by Meir Yedid - fingers disappear and reappear - VERY angly but totally impromptu if you're warmed up

"A Better MouseTrap" by Michael Weber - while the spectator has their eyes closed, you pull a small piece of paper all the way around their body (a piece of paper such as a 3 x 5 card)

"Zig-Zag" by Robert Harbin (a large Zig-Zag illusion and an assistant) - okay, I was just seeing if you were awake on that one.

Geoff
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
Ronin
View Profile
Loyal user
Martinez,CA
201 Posts

Profile of Ronin
Since you carry pens around and change, how about David Williamson's "Coin in pen cap" (versions from either Michael Ammar's big book or his "Easy to Master Money Miracles" tape)?

Also, there's Meir Yedid's Arm Twister (which will probably get a bit overdone now, thanks to the new DVD, but I think it's pretty strong).

I've been using "Fizzmaster" (from Paul Harris' Art of Astonishment Vol 1 video, I think) alot lately. It KILLS, despite the exposure in Penn and Teller's "How to Play in Traffic" book.

Michael Weber makes the point in "Lifesavers" that no magic is truly impromptu, in that you at least have to have practiced the effect! It becomes a matter of learning to work with whats at hand, and to have your props/gimmicks with you. Now that I think of it, I really like the impromptu copper/silver transposition he has in that book, although I haven't performed it in awhile.
David Hirata
www.thingsimpossible.com

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta."
--Federico Fellini
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Oh, durnnit, Geoff; I was going to suggest Zig-Zag! Smile
Okay, failing that, one thing I always have with me is my No-Gimmick Scotch and Soda:
No gimmicked coins, no reset, (and, most importantly) no cost.
If anyone is interested, e-mail me privately and I'll send you the routine and handling.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Rolando Santos
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, Ga.
86 Posts

Profile of Rolando Santos
"Something I've been thinking about lately - what effect to do when you meet someone for the first time, they find out you're a magician, ask to see something, and you have nothing (prop wise) with you. What do you do?

Ď do a quick bit of mentalism ---- Elephants in Denmark or I do some vanishes and such with my wedding ring or theirs. In fact that is the area of magic I am currently trying to work on to improve my technique.

For Elephants in Demmark, I simply say that I am going to plant an idea in their head with a bit of magic or through mass hypnosis if there is more than one person around.

Then I write Grey Elephants in Demark on a piece of paper, fold it and have them hold the paper during the routine.
I also carry the Mark Jenest Magic Credit Card in my wallet.

With or without it, I am good to go.

Rolando
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
You are obviously not familiar with my "Quarters Over the Head". Email me and I'll send you the work.

Actually, don't waste your time. Email Peter for his no gimmick S&S instead.
Yakworld.
ldl1017
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of ldl1017
Greg Wilson's "On the Spot" video has some great impromptu stuff.

1) Trick Question... copper/silver using a penny and a dime

2) Glossy Finish... the old ash thru hand trick done with lipstick. Or do it the old fashioned "David Blaine" way

Tons of stuff out there.
Lou Lepore Smile
“I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary.”
Billy Joel
spfranz
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of spfranz
Many good suggestions, thanks to all.
Bird Brain
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Bird Brain
Ohhh, the ash thru the hand with LIPSTICK! HEY, now THAT'S a girlie getter! Smile

Goin' to get 'em,
Bird Brain
Yes I know my enemies
They're the teachers who taught me to fight me
Compromise, conformity, assimilation, submission
Ignorance, hypocrisy, brutality, the elite
All of which are American Dreams, All of which are American Dreams
Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
Speaking of a girlie getter, watch Greg Wilson on the On The Spot Video. A lot of his spectators are pretty girlies. I love that tape set, my wife thinks it's cause of the girls. But it is because it is really good stuff. Smile Smile
He who laughs, lasts.
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
Quote:
I've been using "Fizzmaster" (from Paul Harris' Art of Astonishment Vol 1 video, I think) alot lately. It KILLS, despite the exposure in Penn and Teller's "How to Play in Traffic" book.

I'm not being critical...just curious. Why is it "exposure" when P/T put it in a magic book, but OK when Paul Harris put it on a magic tape? I'm reasonably sure it isn't original to either of them.
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
It is original to Paul Harris and Eric Mead.
Something of a joint effort.

Mr Spfranz, check out Greg Wilson's "Re-Cap" (think it's on his "on the spot" videos).
All you need is one (completely unprepared) pen.

Gonz
:carrot: Smile
Hello.
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Yeah Gonz, but why not do it with Banachecks Psychokinetic pen instead?

Or would that lead us back to the improv vs. impromptu debate?

Well at least now I know the difference. Smile
Yakworld.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Totally impromptu (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL