We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Totally impromptu (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6581 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
(Getting the sense he is being mocked....)

Anyway, Burt, the question was "when you have nothing with you." I think that the PP would be ruled out here.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Eek. I hope that didn't sound mocking. I would never mock Gonz, not to his face anyways.

I was merely commenting that I (me, Burt, the Yakster) was unaware of the subtle differences between the two terms until I was enlightened through this discussion.

My recommendation to carry the PP on your person all the time was illustrating my penchant for prepared impromptu pen practices vice improv pen prestidigitation.
Yakworld.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6581 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
It wasn't Gonz I thought you were mocking--it was ME, for bringing uo the whole, "Let's define the difference bit!"

But even if you are mocking me, I can take it, and know you are just teasing me....

Right???

Please???

Not that I'm insecure, but you are just...

Ah, of course you are!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Axman
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of Axman
Mumblepeas made a GREAT post to the "Meeting of minds" board over at visions. I still go and read his post and the ones that follow fairly regularly becuase it contains an entire act using a pen and some scrap paper. I urge you to go and check it out. It's inspiring stuff.
It can be found in the Impromtu section of said board.
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Yes, it WAS you I was mocking Scott. Sorry for the confusion. Smile
Yakworld.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2318 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Never leave my house without my TT, rubberbands, cards or coins. You never know when your gonna make an impact on someone. Always be prepared I say. Smile
saglaser
View Profile
Loyal user
Champaign, IL
247 Posts

Profile of saglaser
For something that really looks impromptu, costs virtually nothing, is easy to do and impresses the heck out of folks, carry a book of matches.

Most matches have a facing of prettier paper on one side of the match stick and plain grey cardboard on the other. Tear one out, hold it by the match head, and you can do an almost effortless paddle move for a color-changing match.

Technically, it couldn't be simpler. So you can put all your effort into making an enjoyable presentation.

Bottom line: An impressive-looking quickie you can do in 15 seconds, leave 'em wanting more, look like a pro and be done before the greatest fans of Short Attention Span Theater have a chance to grow restless. And you can get your props for free!
Joe M. Turner
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta, Georgia
249 Posts

Profile of Joe M. Turner
In my wallet, I carry a set of bills for Roger Klause's ultimate bill transposition. This is an extremely clean looking, magiclaly strong close-up effect that takes place in the spectator's hand and uses money. It has never let me down. It did require preparation but I've always got it now.

I like Starcle, too, as well as the old napkin rose. I have been known to do a magic square for someone to "warm up the old brain cells." (I use the method in _The Lost Notebooks of John Northern Hilliard_.)

One other quick thing I do is a routine directly tied to illustrating that my profession is based on manipulating the perceptions of the audience.

JMT
Regards,
Joe M. Turner
[email]jmt@turnermagic.com[/email]
www.turnermagic.com
MagicalChris
View Profile
New user
Oregon
53 Posts

Profile of MagicalChris
Ok, it must be my turn to say something..

I dont use any magic prop or gimick for impromptue.. I like it cause if someone were to say "Do a trick Chris" then I could play it like I dont have any tricks that I had to pay for or whatever then with a borrowed dollar bill end up creating 4 quarters from it or whatever.. Its just great!

I have actually made up a few good impromptue tricks.. one wich I just said is called makin money where you borrow a bill and end up producing coins from it..

ALl you need is some change in your pocket.. But I would also consider it impromptue if you have a wallet in your pocket (who doesnt? besides me lol) why not have a miss made bill folded up in there? or a gimicked coin in the coin pouch.. Either way you can do mind blowing magic on request ON THE SPOT! lol like Greg Wilsons video.. wich I do not have because I dont really need more impromptue than what I know allready I do although have is Off the Cuff video wich is very good as well..

thats about all,
Chris
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
There was a time I always carried with me:

A deck of cards

a T-tip and silk

an ITR

and some large coins

I don't carry anything anymore. I've been doing basic sleight of hand so long that I just make up tricks as I go. I borrow a quarter, I use toothpicks, I vanish someone's cell phone. Just about any object you find laying about can be used. I've even done magic with rocks and pebbles. I like the approach because it's just like real magic. Little kids will hand me a pen cap, a stick of gum, a piece of candy. You can use anything. Just play with it. I've come up with some of my favourite things on the spot.

Play with it, it's fun.

Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4069 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
I carry, a deck, coins, rubberbands & a T.T. with me at all times. I also have Kollasal Killer set up in my wallet.

I also have a routine I'm working on which combines the haunted key & a cut a restored string. I just wear the key on the string around my neck & I'm ready to go.

The story for the trick is about lost love & remebering whats important to you, at the end I produce a small crystal from my eye(a tear drop). Getting set for the ending only takes a second & it is a big surprise.

It has gotten great reaction so far, I think because it seems very impromptu.

Smile
SloMo150
View Profile
Regular user
Speedway, Indiana
121 Posts

Profile of SloMo150
I always carry two TT and coins with me. Also a hankerchief or a bandanna. Occasionally I take a set of D'lites with me. All this fits in one pocket of my jacket so I am always ready to go. Smile
Hey wanna see me pull a rabbit from my hat, (lion appears). I gotta get a new Hat.
Marduke Kurios
View Profile
Veteran user
Vancouver, Canada
316 Posts

Profile of Marduke Kurios
If I forgot everything...like my coins, bills, a pen, paper, my wallet, my shoelaces, my I.D. cards...I guess I would have to pick up a stone or a blade of grass and wow them with that. Normally I do have some if not all of those things on me at any given time (along with the magic stuff).
Live well,
Laugh often,
Love always.

To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

Without Prejudice, All Rights Reserved.
Matt Graves
View Profile
Special user
Huntsville, Alabama (USA)
504 Posts

Profile of Matt Graves
There are so many good impromptu tricks with coins in J.B. Bobo's book - in fact, I've shown my friends/family lots of the supposedly "better" tricks in there, like Sympathetic Coins, and those don't "wow" them nearly as much as the spur-of-the-moment ones like Coin Through Leg, Coin Through Pocket, Coin Through Hand, etc. I highly recommend those; also I've found that for some reason the jumping rubber band amazes a LOT of people. Oddly enough, I learned that one off the back of a Kool-Aid box many years ago. Apparently not as many people drink Kool-Aid as I thought . . .
Matt Graves
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Matt Graves
Oh my gosh! Vanishing a cell phone?? That could create riots! Smile I like your attitude on that, though. I used to do that, but I've lost confidence, being out of magic for about four years or so. Now I'm practicing again . . . I do a lot of coin tricks especially; I can't fathom how one would vanish a cell phone, though; I think I'll start working on that one . . . anybody thought about any effects taking advantage of the new quarter designs? That thought keeps recurring to me . . . there has to be some opportunity there.
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Well Serling, I'll be honest, I can only vanish the new "little" nokias. I suppose I could use the folding kind too. It's about like vanishing a palm size ball. And they're still getting smaller...One day, we'll vanishing them like coins.
:rotf:
Sable

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
Matt Graves
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Matt Graves
Ah well, I'm out of touch with technology . . . I don't even have a cell phone. Smile My Dad has a Nokia though, and come to think of it , it is pretty small;somehow the thought just never occurred to try to vanish it. He does a good enough job of vanishing it himself though . . . he loses it all the time . . . Smile Maybe I can start finding it and making it "magically" appear . . . heh heh . . . Smile
NickW
View Profile
New user
Derby, UK
66 Posts

Profile of NickW
Glad to see mention of Wilson's 'On the Spot' videos, as I've found some good stuff on there. If I didn't even have change on me, I'd borrow some - even more impact when it's their 10p coins rather than yours which go from hand to hand.

Of all the ones on the tape, the one which I've done most (easy, good effect) is 'A questionable trick' (impromptu copper-silver transposition in a spectator's hands), though I'm still looking for a better way in than the 'trick question' which gives the effect its name. It needs something to fix the spectator's mind on the two different coins in your hand, but I don't like trick questions!

Any ideas?
Jim Pace
View Profile
V.I.P.
Portland Oregon
556 Posts

Profile of Jim Pace
In a pinch, has any one heard of Paul Harris' Biological ESP? This will fool even the most seasoned magician. Coin under spectators watch is also a goody. Even the Balducci levitation catches people off gaurd.
My favorite, depending on the situation, is screaming real loud; when they close their eyes and cover their ears I duck behind something.(kidding)
"The drum that beats the loudest is always the most hollow."
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1092 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
Talking of cell phones when people ask me ro show them some magic I tell them I have a new invisible nokia. I point to my empty hand which is in a, 'I'm holding an invisible phone' position and begin talking in it "hello". They either think I'm mad or taking the *****, I look at them and say 'no really!' point to my hand one more time then wave my hand and my phone appears. It's one effect people always mention when they tell their friends or tell me its the one they just can't work out. I also vanish peoples phones telling them "oh this phone has a stealth mode, so it can't be stolen". Magic with objects that people haven't see used by other magicians is very strong. Smile
Look behind you...on your left...thats the real world.

http://www.instagram.com/JoePiperMagic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Totally impromptu (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL