The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Street disaster (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Folks,
today I had one of those days that your mother warns you about.

1. Huge Airshow took most of the kids and parents from the waterfront where I work

2, Just as I am getting rolling they start filming a commercial on the wharf beside me and start re routing traffic away from the pitch.

3. University charity blitz descends on waterfront with far to many enthusiastic kids mugging any stranger that stood still for the build. They then get their pockets emptied or get annoyed and leave.

4. I get very hot, tired and cranky and blow my setup trick to my hat pitch on the best crowd I built all day.

5. Not wanting to end on sour note then frigged up the next show.

6. Got really P.O.'d at self and left.

As a frind of mine says... "Marvelllous, JUst F'n Marvellous"

Anybody else have one of those days?

The Seadawg
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
LOL! Who hasn't?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1273 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Gee, sounds like a REALLY CRAPPY day.
Out of curiosity, is that friend of that quote Jeff?
It sounds like him. Smile
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17069 Posts

Profile of joseph
I have those days when I work on my car... Smile ..
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20374 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Just sounds like life happening.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2006-09-09 19:14, SeaDawg wrote:
Anybody else have one of those days?

The Seadawg

You mean how many this week or just in general? Smile

If it were not for days like that one we would not appreciate the great days nearly as much.

I think it's pretty safe to say we've all been there. Smile

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Cory,
It wanst Jeff but it sure could have been.
He had a dead show just before mine.

Who knows....next day on the street is a whole new experience

The Seadawg
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13396 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I had the air show thing happen to me this summer.
Right before my show, some guy gets up at the mic and directs everybody
to the other side of the park to watch "the air show."

nice.
very helpful.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
At the Renaissance Festival once, a drunk interrupted my show and would not go away. He had "found a lost child."

I recognized the kid. The kid wasn't lost. But the drunk was insistent, and he used the "lost child" mantra to turn the audience against me.

Finally, after trying to get him to sit down, I let him up on the stage to show off the "lost child."

It was a kid that belonged to the lady who ran the herbal remedies booth across the path from our theater. The kid told him so. So did I. So did the lady who was frantically looking for the kid that the drunk had basically abducted from in front of her booth.

What an idiot!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Odd...I had a drunk walk up and decide to have a discussion with me during a show and it just didn't seem to register that there was a show going on.
Steve V
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1273 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Last year at the Halifax Busker Festival, there was a magicians performing around 10:00, and during the show, a drunk kid just walked right up, and sat in his chair.
The magician played it very cool, and made a comedic act with it. He managed it soo well it was like it was a part of the show. Everyone was laughing, and having a good time, until the drunk had overpast his time, and was needed to get out. BUT HE WASNT!
Then the magician started "subliminally" letting the audience know that he needed their help to get him off. Like I said, he did a great job, noone got mad, or sent to prison, and he finally did get him off stage. If anything, it may have even added to the show. This guy was very smooth.
It's all in how you handle the situation.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Murphy's Law applies to EVERYONE. Even Busking Magi.

While not a busking story, here's one that happened to me, last Yuletide Season:

I was working as a stage hypnotist at the John Hancock Tower in Chicago - at the very top of the building, which means that I was working on the perimeter OF the building - a corridor along the windows along two sides OF the building.

Did they put me at the junction of the two angles - of CoURSE NOT!

They put me on a postage stamp sized dance floor with a sound system that pulled feedback when set on '2!' And this was the first time, after years of knowing him from the Chicago magic scene, that I had ever gotten the chance to work with the great Engene Burger! Who, as he was leaving the now drunken mess of USED CAR SALES PEOPLE that the party was for, looked at me, patted me on the shoulder and said, quietly, "I'll bet you're in hell right now..."

He was pretty near right.

The owner decided to get up and give out awards BEFORE I went on - and to do a EULOGY for a member of the firm who had DIED three DAYS earlier! The sound went out in the middle of my induction and then the LIGHTS went on me, too!

So guys, don't think the street is all THAT bad...!

;)

It happens to everybody!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Lee,
ROFLMAO.

You are right, the street is not the only place for those kind of days. It just seemed like mine jumped on me the way yours did.

"This isn't a stage, it is just hell with fancy lighting" comes to mind.

ON a lighter side... I finish with a water vanish and I give two Specs cups and pour water in. IN my cup, which I emphasize to the crowd they must watch, I pour my water to vanish. Then I take a big drink from the jug and display the other hand cup with water vanished. I retrieve sepcs cups, ditch their water, and then hat for all its worth.

About a week ago, between ditching Spec ones water and Spec2 a 4 year old boy snuck up behind me and then caught the second ditch from knees to eyeballs. OOPs...
BAH1313
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio
445 Posts

Profile of BAH1313
I've had days like that, and sometimes worse. I think the main lesson here is to keep pluggin along. If you work hard, and try to keep your sense of humor, it always gets better. Maybe not great but better!
I am truly blessed to have a job where people are laughing all the time and everyone believes in magic....Come to think of it, I'm blessed to even have a job.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20374 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Horrible things happen man. That is life.

When I first started I was working with Jay Marshal at Magic Inc. I had a show in a place I shouldn't have been, doing magic which didn't belong, but I needed the "stage time".

I came in and complained to Jay.

"They were not listening, they talked through it, when they did listen they shouted stuff at me, it was horrible, what would YOU do?"

Jay's answer, "About 20 minutes".
Believe it or not the more shows you do, the more BAD shows you will do. Seems counterintuative, but follow me here for just a second.

If say 1 in a 100 shows goes bad. Do one show a week and that is about 1 every 2 years. Pretty simple math.

Now do 3 shows a week, and the average becomes one every six months or so. And so on down the line. The more you do, even at 99% almost perfect rate, the more bad shows you will do. No way arround it, stupid math.

My suggestion is to make friends with the idea. Know who you are day in and day out, don't pay too much attention to the really bad days, or really good days. Live in the middle.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Street disaster (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL