The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Too Heavy???? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
I know not who this Gurdjieff is, but then I never studied philosophy or any of that stuff in school. People do seem to walk in a sleep though, or maybe a better way of putting it is a self induced tunnel vision; I think people don't want to look underneath the bed, around the corner, or in the shadows.
Afterall, how is a lone sentient (that might not be the word I'm looking for) group of beings supposed to handle the bewildering perceptions that bombard our 5 senses and tax our little brains ?
Just dealing with concepts like infinity, the time/space fabric, and God; not to mention the sheer enormity of the known universe, where it seems that thousands more entire galaxies are discovered everyday, and not to mention the age of the universe, and what was before that, and before that... ad infinitum/nasuem ... it's a small wonder we're not all insane. Or maybe we are, and that's the problem. Mmm.. nah.. I think that's why we walk around in deep sleep, it's a self defense mechanism in the form of denial. Most people are busy enough worrying about the mortgage, or getting a babysitter, or passing a test, or a certain biological function, or maybe even just gathering food for the day. The luxury of thinking about such things was, in the past, probably relegated only to the rich and educated; nowadays those of us who choose to stop and smell the .. uhh.. grey matter in our skulls ( Smile ), can do so, but at the risk of going crazy trying to make sense of it all.

Oh, the original question, can it get too deep ? I'd say yes, but it depends on who you're performing for - as to ourselves, we can get as deep as we dare.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Quote:
On 2006-09-10 22:22, Mystician wrote:
it's a small wonder we're not all insane. Or maybe we are, and that's the problem. Mmm.. nah.. I think that's why we walk around in deep sleep, it's a self defense mechanism in the form of denial. Most people are busy enough worrying about the mortgage, or getting a babysitter, or passing a test, or a certain biological function, or maybe even just gathering food for the day. The luxury of thinking about such things was, in the past, probably relegated only to the rich and educated; nowadays those of us who choose to stop and smell the .. uhh.. grey matter in our skulls ( Smile ), can do so, but at the risk of going crazy trying to make sense of it all.

Insanity,as we all know is relative--but youre right....great points....thats why, I s'ppose its so fun waking them up with a little Voodoo inspired luciferian worship magic....

wake the Hell up people! muhahahahHAHAHAHAA....
egregor
View Profile
Veteran user
The other side of the veil.
340 Posts

Profile of egregor
My favorite Crowley quote:{Crowley speaking to L.Ron Hubbard} "Man, you could make a religion out of this ****".
My mom says I'm reprehensible, I think I'm perfectly hensible.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
..now we are going into Lovecraft land! Where he states that the most merciful things the human mind can't do is correlate its contents -> that if we could and understand the universe we would be driven insane or retreat into a new dark age... you can read it in his style at the end of his seminal story "The Call of Cthulhu"....

(I wonder what my daughter will make of the fact she has a stuffed Cthulhu and Hound of Tindalos amongst her toys?)
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
shots
View Profile
Loyal user
Kissimmee, FL
256 Posts

Profile of shots
Just yesterday I was talking with a magician friend of mine as well as my brother. We were talking about some of the strongest reactions we've had from people when we performed an illusion for them. My friend stated that he'd had some people run from him, saying "he must be a Satanist" after a particularly good effect. I replied "now that's the kind of reaction I love to see!" My brother asked me why in the world I'd want people to think I'm a Satanist. I don't. My point is, when it gets to that extreme, you've created an effect that is so strong that, at least for a moment, the spectator considered the possibility that you actually performed some small miracle, something outside the realm of normal mortals, real magic. That's what I'm after. Suspension of disbelief, however brief it may be. Make them a believer.

Too strong? Never. If it gets that kind of reaction, I'm happy.

Oh, and correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Crowley say "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will."
Magic in the Shadows
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Yes, that is exactly what Crowley said.
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I quote him often and this quote in particular more often than others...

"Silence Is Foo"

A sign held up...Daffy Duck
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Doug, those are the words of a great philosopher.
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3248 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Hubbard was actually IN a lodge of the OTO (Crowley's order) The structure of the Church of Scientology is directly modeled after the Grade Structure of the OTO.

I think it was Asimov to Hubbard, though...

G

Quote:
On 2006-09-11 02:32, egregor wrote:
My favorite Crowley quote:{Crowley speaking to L.Ron Hubbard} "Man, you could make a religion out of this ****".
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3248 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2006-09-11 07:40, Dr Spektor wrote:
(I wonder what my daughter will make of the fact she has a stuffed Cthulhu and Hound of Tindalos amongst her toys?)

My cat really, *REALLY* hates the plushie "Crawling Chaos" (made by Toy Vault) I have sitting on the top shelf. She makes some REALLY scary noises when I break that thing out... I think it's the amphibious eyes that freaks her out so much.

G
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Heheh... since Lovecraft thought cats were the closest thing to the good guys (Bast etc) I can see why she hates ol' Nye.... (cats - good guys!?!? HPL was clearly mad)....

I could have sworn Crowley said "Do as thou wilst, buster."
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3248 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2006-09-11 15:33, Dr Spektor wrote:
Heheh... since Lovecraft thought cats were the closest thing to the good guys (Bast etc) I can see why she hates ol' Nye.... (cats - good guys!?!? HPL was clearly mad)....

I could have sworn Crowley said "Do as thou wilst, buster."

AH! I never thought of that! An excellent point!

PS- anyone who has read Crowley's seminal work "Liber Al vel Legis" (The Book of the Law) might be amused by this:

http://larabell.org/Hanuman/Hanuman.cgi/liber999

"Liber Call Me Al 'The Book of the In-Laws"
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
Turban Legend (source: Colin Wilson?)...Gurdj and Crow met in New York once from across a crowded room. Gurdj turned one of Crow's hands into a claw (a prefigurative of Kreskin Hand Squeezer). Evidently, it took Crow several weeks to get his own hand back.
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Wow, that chick is quite the tool. I hope one day I can figure it all out and be just like her!

Too little time, way too many little people.
-J
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Gaddy, I think it was Asimov, too, but I am not sure.

Liber Call Me Al is hilarious! Thanks for that!

Bill

Posted: Sep 11, 2006 6:53pm
Dr Spektor, cats ARE the Good Guys!

The ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as Gods. Cats have never forgotten.

Bill
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Hey, they worshipped doggies too - like Anubis - so I still stick with the Hounds!
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Hey, dogs are neat, too.

Dogs think: This guy feeds me and takes good care of me. >He< must be a god!

Cats think: This guy feeds me and takes good care of me. >I< must be a god! Smile

Bill
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Hubbard, OTO? Really? That's great!
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3248 Posts

Profile of gaddy
TT2,

It's true, the same one that Jack Parsons (the rocket scientist) and Kenneth Grant (the...um... occult guy?) were part of.
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Crowley, OTO, L. Ron Hubbard, Scientology, A:. A:., Kenneth Grant, Jack Parsons, JPL, NASA. Now that is an interesting combination!
There is a lot of history there.

Nal
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Too Heavy???? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL