The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Pom Pom balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dxsare
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of dxsare
Looking for Pom Poms for the cups and balls. Looking for 1.5" and 2" or so. The pom poms that I am looking for are like the ones Tommy Wonder uses for his cups and balls routine, not the kind the resembles a koosh ball with all the peices of fabric sticking out of the ball. Any professional ones for this use? perhaps that are weighted? Thanks

Stevie D
-Stevie D
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you want the ones like Tommy Wonder uses, you have to make them yourself.

The instructions are in the books of wonder.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
dxsare
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of dxsare
The books of wonder which I just ordered ;-) Bill, have you made these or anyone?? I don't have the books yet, however I can sew so I guess I'll just have to try. Thanks Bill ;-) Just learning that routine will make me such a better magician... and I only do this as a hobby, as my life is full of music (sound engineering and acoustic design) however I take my hobbies pretty seriously.

Stevie D
-Stevie D
plungerman
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of plungerman
Hi, Stevie;

I'm quite a fan of T. Wonder's cups and balls and have made several of the pom-poms. The procedure he gives is quite detailed. He stated that he was sure there were other ways to make them but would stick to his own. I wish I had written him with my method before I got the sad news this last month.

My method is only easier in that you can get past the ball making part quicker and into the trimming down part sooner. Working on them got to be quite an addictive habit for me. I would get the shakes if I couldn't find the wool. If your a sew and sew then there is much less need for you to learn and experiment. I had considered making them proffesionally but was not sure if magicians would be willing to pay $3,500 per set. Drop me a PM if interested and I will send you my description for making them quicker. I'd rather not post it here just yet.

It has horrified some pro magicians that I wanted to learn the routine. But how else can you learn from it. There are moves in it that are seen (?) in no other routine and daring misdirection which he explicitly teaches there and in other chapters.

You will want a set of Rope Screws if you intend to make the bag for the cups. These are at Magic Inc. for $7.00. They are not easy to find, let me know if I can get them for you.

Cheers

Plungerman
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2006-09-11 15:11, dxsare wrote:
The books of wonder which I just ordered ;-) Bill, have you made these or anyone?? I don't have the books yet, however I can sew so I guess I'll just have to try. Thanks Bill ;-) Just learning that routine will make me such a better magician... and I only do this as a hobby, as my life is full of music (sound engineering and acoustic design) however I take my hobbies pretty seriously.

Stevie D

I haven't made them, but I have a set of the cups and the pom poms that Tommy made.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Ask ron gisecke.
he does make them but be prepared to pay a fair price.

whatever price it is... it's fair! they are not easy to make.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Profile of Christopher Moro
That's true, I heard Ron Gisecke was making and selling them....but I contact him several months ago and received no response. Perhaps he is not offering this anymore. But, it can't hurt to try him.
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
947 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
I guess I should get on the stick and start answering people.

yes, I make them, but time is always my issue. I never have any.
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

That's so true, Ron: Tommy said it would take a full day just to do the small balls, and I'm sure he means at least an 8-hour day. Probably more. That's a lot of time to give. I don't blame you for having better things to do!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Ron,
Charge $500,000 a set. It will force you to make time. And you'll only need to sell one set.

Just a thought.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

That's good advice.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
I've made these. Never want to do it again.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Ronnie Ramin
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of Ronnie Ramin
The problem with having someone make them for you is that the size of the balls and the Pom Pom are directly related to the size of your cups... and it takes some detailed trimming to get the proportions just right.

Ronnie
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Tommy used them with a set of Paul Fox cups. The cups he sold with his set were made by Morrissey. I have an e-mail from him that explains why. They were inexpensive. However, the balls that came with these cups will work with the Paul Fox cups as well. As long as the smaller balls are of such a size that you can get two of them into the cup vertically, but they won't sit side by side within the mouth, you will be fine. The cups from Bazar di Magia should work well with these because they are fairly tall for their diameter.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Ronnie Ramin
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of Ronnie Ramin
Bill said, "As long as the smaller balls are of such a size that you can get two of them into the cup vertically, but they won't sit side by side within the mouth, you will be fine. "

Yes, that and also the Pom Pom needs to be able to sit above a ball comfortably as well, at one point in the routine.

Bill did you buy a set of Cups and Balls from Tommy for this routine?

If so I don't think I saw them at TAOM in your display.

Ronnie
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

You made these, Curtis??? I'm deathly afraid to do so. You know, life is short.
dxsare
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of dxsare
I'm making these now. Yeah it's a lot of time but it's not that bad. The time invested is worth it if you'd like to use a set like these to have for your whole life. Does anyone know if you can wash them if they get dirty??

Stevie D
-Stevie D
plungerman
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of plungerman
Once you make the pom poms spray them down with Scotch Guard 3M or such. Saturate them. This will keep the dirt from darkening them as you use them over the years. I do this for everything from ropes to egg bags.
dxsare
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of dxsare
Very good tip!! thanks

-Steve
-Stevie D
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Pom Pom balls (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL