The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Soft Spot (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
VcosNJ
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of VcosNJ
I thought I'd get this topic started. Smile This is a new one from MJM magic. It looks very visual and would love to know more. It looks like it can only done with plastic bottles. Looking forward to the reviews.

Soft Spot
wise owl
View Profile
Special user
Australia
721 Posts

Profile of wise owl
The adv copy said that it is visual penetration. But it is not. The cap is pushing from behind the label - and with the hand covering as well.

This is just another cap thru bottle, nothing new.

But the price is cheap and PDF is handy. I did buy something similar and they give me a box of bottles and caps!!

The trick (if my guess is correct) will do best with plastic bottle. You will need to spend a lot of time/skill to get the setup right by using glass bottle. But it should be possible.
Adam Teece
View Profile
New user
Lehigh Acres, FL
52 Posts

Profile of Adam Teece
The demo video does look pretty impressive. People drink a lot of snapple on my ship so there are bottles aplenty.
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
2530 Posts

Profile of tophatter
This looks great ! the video shows his hands empty after the penetration , I wonder after you buy it if this is true ? I think you may end dirty still nice looking .
Tops
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5486 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2006-09-12 02:57, tophatter wrote:
This looks great! The video shows his hands empty after the penetration. I wonder after you buy it if this is true?

Yes, this is an altogether a new method.

Before the penetration, without holding/ touching the bottle, one can show that the bottle is empty. And after the penetration the hands can be shown empty, but one needs to take care of the angles at this stage.

Quote:
On 2006-09-12 02:57, tophatter wrote:
I think you may end dirty still nice looking.

Yes, at the time of handing the bottle to the spectator you end dirty. But with a little misdirection this can be taken care of, since all eyes are focused on the bottle.

I feel that the most ideal prop for this effect would be to use a plastic mineral water bottle which has a small diameter low height cap. Also with a little imagination it is possible to do the effect (with the above new method) using a glass beer bottle and its metal cap.

Overal Soft Spot is a better Cap-in-Bottle effect as the method is little different from the ususal.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
skyrus18
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of skyrus18
Hey I am the creator cyrus thanks a lot for reviewing my effect I am glad you guys like it!
toomuchmagic
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of toomuchmagic
No more about this item?
Xenafor
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Xenafor
Hmm, doesn't seem like an overly breakthrough method, but I'll give it a shot sometime to see how it's taken.
toomuchmagic
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of toomuchmagic
WARNING WARNING!!!!!!!!
STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love penetration effects, especially coin/cap through bottle.

What a crock. I am sick of all of this crap from dealers and people who put out P.O.S. magic items and charge an arm and a leg for them. It is not like any time and effort was put into this nor did it cost ANY money to produce.

Every time something new comes out it is the ULTIMATE....right? If someone offered you the ULTIMATE mode of transportation, and then sent you plans for putting Dr. Scholl's into your roller skates, you'd be pretty ticked. That to me is a perfect analogy for this poor excuse for a magic item.

I am tired of getting taken. I know this comes up often in these forums, but come on people. There has to be something that can be done as far as quality control here. We have to do something to take back our pride and dignity from these people who obvioulsy have no shame in taking it away.

There is no way anyone should be enticed to pay 20 dollars for a measly 3 and a half page pdf, that obviously no one bothered to proofread. For god's sake......proof read the friggin thing if you are going to make a product out of it. Example: Every time the word 'THEN' is to be used (5x), the "author" used 'THAN.' The word 'then' is obviously not in the vocabulary of the "writer." I know we all can't be Bill Shakespeare, but 20 bucks for this crap.

500 words. About 250 of them are unnecessary. 10 photos. 8 of them unnecessary.

I would like to quote the ENTIRE "Other Handlings" section of the pdf. I sure hope I don't give too much away.

"Other Handlings : you can also slam it in if your surrounded, but other
than that, it is best to keep your audience in front."

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WHY ME!!!!!!!!!! WHY DO I ALWAYS GET SUCKERED INTO THIS JUNK. (Do I have to point out the misuse of 'your' where it should say 'you're'? I make no claims to being the most gramatically correct person in the world, but then I don't try to sell my writing. And if I did, I would make *** SURE it read nicely and there were no mistakes. If I am picking up on grammar mistakes there is a big problem!!)

I just simply can not believe this. I just can't! At the same time, I can not wait to hear the lame excuses coming to the defense of this, because there is no excuse. NONE!

This trick could have been jotted down on a cocktail napkin and been much more effective and intelligent "than" the 20 dollar pdf. And "then", if I happened to find the napkin in the trash and read it, I would probably end up using it to wipe up my vomit because the thought of selling this for any money is nauseating.

All I can say positive is at least this wasn't produced as a DVD and cost me 40 bucks or something, because then I might have had to take my own life.
jerrydb4
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
56 Posts

Profile of jerrydb4
I agree with toomuchmagic, I would probably steer clear of this one. If you are looking for a cap in bottle effect you cannot go wrong with Mike Power's VIP. You will find another thread on here raving about VIP, it is very nice.
skyrus18
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of skyrus18
Have you tried the effect toomuchmagic and actually done it before you say it is soo bad.
toomuchmagic
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of toomuchmagic
No I have not. Because I spent over an hour trying to get the cap in the "secret spot". I managed to achieve this twice. I can not imagine ANY TIME where I could perform this. The set up is not practical to any real life situation.
Very Sad Skyrus. Very Sad.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6892 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I make it a rule to stay away from instant downloads, unless they are produced by someone I've heard of with a good reputation. I love MJM Magic but when I saw the demo, I knew the effect would be totally impractical for me. Sorry to hear about your experience, toomuchmagic.
TRI-EFFECTA: Three Close Up Card Miracles now available! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/tri-effecta.html
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4699 Posts

Profile of edh
Actually I'm glad to hear about toomuchmagic's experience. It will probably save a lot of people money.

Thanks for your post toomuchmagic.

BTW if you're going to sell an item with instructions included. It is probably best to proofread your writings. If you don't have time and can't spend the effort of putting out a set of instructions that don't glaring grammatical errors then what does that say about the quality of the actual product. And your professionalism?

It tells me you don't have much pride in what you do.

But that's just my opinion
Magic is a vanishing art.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6892 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Oh, believe me, I'm glad toomuchmagic posted that. It's very informative.

I, too, agree that people should proof read their instructions. It's very unprofessional to release material that is poorly written. Especially for $20. That price tag is outrageous for this trick. There are a lot of really good versions of cap/coin in bottle out there and this particular version doesn't seem to offer anything especially new or revolutionary to the mix. Keep in mind, I'm basing my opinion solely on the demo.
TRI-EFFECTA: Three Close Up Card Miracles now available! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/tri-effecta.html
Bosco J.
View Profile
Elite user
New York
463 Posts

Profile of Bosco J.
Yes. Thanks for posting that toomuchmagic. I was interested in the plot and Soft Spot was on my list of "Cap through Bottles" considerations too.

A much better option in terms of visual and practical Cap through bottle (Though it's a metal cap and glass beer type bottles) would be Cap Trap! from Charlie Justice/Black's Magic/Jeff Pierce's up and coming Prohibition DVD.

I've placed a pre-order for it and the final cut is currently being reworked. This one is going to be a keeper.

http://www.blacksmagicgroup.com/

Bosco
Chris Oberle
View Profile
Elite user
California
455 Posts

Profile of Chris Oberle
Thanx for the warning guys.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6657 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Against all warnings,

I ordered it! (GASPS, AND TITTERING FROM THE AUDIENCE)...yeah, I know...it's just that I've ordered V.I.P., Abyss, Sinful, and Prohibition as well.

Sinful, and The Abyss have arrived. So far I'm VERY pleased. Soft spot is needed, as here at work (radio station), we have a machine that dispenses GATORADE.

As I understand it, as in Abyss, you can hand out the bottle in its "impossible" condition, as a souvenier. I would also "guess" the method of Soft Spot is similar to The Abyss, inasfar as the gimmick(s) needed to keep the "dirty" cap out of sight until it's revealed...at least I HOPE that's right, as Abyss has been performed TWICE now, here at work, and I must say, it's one of the most POWERFUL effects in my arsenal.

I'll pop in here when Soft Spot arrives, and will give it an honest (but short) review.

Doug
sleightofhand1
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of sleightofhand1
I am not getting a soft spot in my heart from these posts for soft spot
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6657 Posts

Profile of Dougini
UPDATE!!

Wow...am I GLAD I didn't listen to NAYSAYERS! No offense intended, it's just that I'm VERY pleased! It IS similar to Abyss, and EXACTLY what I was hoping for!

It also game me a few ideas to use with Abyss. In ADDITION, Abyss's ideas and tips can be used with Soft Spot!

Just another example of "One man's jewel CAN be another man's JUNK"...

Thanks for this thread! This one's (IMO) a JEWEL!

:)

Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Soft Spot (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL