The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and balls, final load question........ (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Rick11
View Profile
Elite user
429 Posts

Profile of Rick11
Hi Guys,

I am new to the cups and balls (about 6 months) and purchased a brass set which I am pleased with. They measure 2 1/4" across the opening. I was wondering if someone could give me some ideas for the final loads. I have used fruit and veggies, but would like to use something that would be permanent.

Rick
Noel M
View Profile
Loyal user
San Rafael. CA
208 Posts

Profile of Noel M
A final load can be just about anything that will fit without talking. I usually look for things that would seem funny coming out of a cup like a little can of cocktail hot dogs.

Lots of people like tennis balls and that's a good reason to avoid them. Years and years ago I found 3 full size billiard balls made out of shiny rubber. They look really good but don't make a sound when loaded. I've protected them in their own case and they're like new.

What you can load is limitless. If you always keep it in mind as you go through the day, you'll be amazed at what you can find.
Amon
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
134 Posts

Profile of Amon
http://www.ammarmagic.com/store/index.ph......;cPath=2

Hi, you can check this page -link above(micheal Ammar's different loads for sale.) A lot of folks are also using chaeper things like tennis balls etc. Personally I really like using real fruits, but I've been checking out the mike rogers final loads on Ammar's site.
here and now
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Much of the reactions you'll get after C&B is "Are they real?"

To me, that's enough justification to use real fruit. Even if has nothing to do with the method, it doesn't take much for them to think "Oh, that's how it works, they're just fakes."
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24221 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There are many semi-advanced loading techniques as well. I'll PM you later with a couple of good ones.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
dxsare
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of dxsare
Use anything is right. Within the last few weeks I did the cups and balls for some friends, and each times I just "went through" their house looking for things to use, so when I did the routine, I borrowed their cups, made paper balls, or used grapes, cherries or anything else you can think of that is handy. For the final loads, I used two eggs and an onion (hard loads can be used if you are careful and use some misdirection), a tomato, a potato, and a plum, and my favorite time was when I had my cups and just the small balls, and I wasn't even gonna do the cups and balls and then while everyone was still watching I gathered up some items close by on the table and the final loads were two different color candles and a book of matches. I exposed the two candles first and flipped backed the center cup to reveal a matchbook that got caught in the lip of the cups and flipped up and spun in the air and landed right next to the candles and everyone was flawed!! even myself. I just might use the candles and matchbook more often!
-Stevie D
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
With some helpful knowledge from "The Swatter" I have a routine that reveals a pile of diamonds, pile of gold, pile of jewelry, and a voucher for a free tank of gas. Imagination is your friend and the sky is the limit. One of the reasons I love the C&B's so much, freehand creativity.
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
502 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations,

My finale is a nod to magicians. I use mini baseballs, and full-size baseballs for the final loads, revealing four of them in conjunction with my final line. Always get a laugh and a good reaction. Then again, I've used juggle balls and got the same reaction. I'm inclined to give a nod to those who note that it's the performer and the performance, and not necessarily the size or type of load.

Just my $.02 (USD) worth. YMMV.

Joe in KC
LeeDillingham
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
263 Posts

Profile of LeeDillingham
In trade show work, I usually get the client to spring for a few hundred rubber balls with the clients logo, website, phone number, etc. I use these and give them out to the spectator. This always goes over well with the people that write the checks.
Amon
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
134 Posts

Profile of Amon
Wow Lee, good idea!
here and now
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1294 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Anything you can give away as the final load is a good thing.
I currently use full sized baseballs as my final loads in the riser Jumbos and A stuffed bunny rabbit in my sherwoods.
Scotty York used to use a teddy bear with hat and he used to give them away.

Both of my giveaways have garnered great reactions. The furit loads for me ...do not go over as well so to me that means it is not in keeping with my style of performance or patter.
Later,
Mobius
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1156 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
I've been using a pear with a chop cup, modifying the Don Alan line. "Some people think there are two balls. They think I have a pair. They're right. Here it is."

Then load plastic cat poo. "Other people think the whole trick's a pile of poo. They're wrong. This is the pile of poo." ("Ladies and gentlemen, the ancient miracle of the cup, ball, pear and cat poo!")
Jolyon Jenkins
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24221 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
For giveaways, check Oriental Trading Co. and Rhode Island Novelties.

For promotional giveaways, there are many, many sources on the internet.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2693 Posts

Profile of sethb
If you're looking for a 'permanent' load, think about using lacrosse balls if your cups can handle them.

Lacrosse balls are cheap and easily obtainable in most sporting goods stores. They're also basically indestructible, are very substantial and heavy when produced, and don't talk when loaded. Eventually they may get a bit dirty, but if you just drop them in the kitchen sink with a little dishwashing detergent, they'll look as good as new.

As others have noted, I have found that in the end, it isn't so much what you produce but how you produce it. I use a golf ball with the small plastic Royal Magic Cup & Ball sets that I demo, and still get great reactions from the specs. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
spacemonkey
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of spacemonkey
Hi Rick,
If you are looking to produce fruit as a final load, I cannot recommend Doug Conn's newest set of notes, Connsolidated Connundrums, highly enough. Among other simply superb routines, he describes his technique for producing a banana(!) as the final load. I started incorporating this technique immediately into my own cups & balls and it took the finale to a whole other level. Plus, bananas taste better.

I have zero association with Mr. Conn and procure no monetary gain through posting his link, but if you are interested in picking up his notes (which are in an eBook format), please consult:

http://www.dougconn.com

Enjoy.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24221 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2006-09-13 12:33, rjenkins wrote:

Then load plastic cat poo. "Other people think the whole trick's a pile of poo. They're wrong. This is the pile of poo." ("Ladies and gentlemen, the ancient miracle of the cup, ball, pear and cat poo!")

That's really brilliant. NOT! Smile Smile Smile

Just think what you could do with a pile of phoney vomit.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Rick11
View Profile
Elite user
429 Posts

Profile of Rick11
Special thanks to Bill Palmer for some excellent tips, thanks Bill.....and also to everyone for their suggestions, which has given me many avenues to explore. I have to say that I just love the cups and balls. About 2 years ago I purchased a tape of "Rafael Benatar Cups and balls Execution, Theory and Practice". After watching his performance and then his explanation, I put the vhs tape back on the shelf because I felt that I didn't have the nerve to pull off the final loads. About six months ago I dusted off the tape and viewed it again. This time I practiced and have performed his routine several times with great sucess. To me, the cups and balls is one of greatest effects there is.

Thanks again
Rick
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13348 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I just bought Doug's e-book. I'm looking forward to receiving it.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
WKM
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester Uk
138 Posts

Profile of WKM
Hi Rick

Cups and Balls is my Favorite effect. I don't think that there is anything quite as strong when it is performed in the right manner. I personally use sherwood cups. I have a set of engraved Silver and some copper ones too.

I would say on a note, that investing in a good set of cups is a must, it will really make a difference.

For final Loads I use The Ammar fruit if it is a formal function. People ofter say "wow, is it real" and go right ahead and pick up a fake lemon or lime. Then come right out with "Oh my god it is".

It really does look real and has a great impact if it is delivered right.
I use the Vernon Final load sequence as I think that it is really strong and I am able to put my own presentation in to it.

I think though that overall it really depends on your style as to what your loads should be. I use 4 peices of fruit when at a formal function, but if I am working an informal/casual do then I tend to opt for more inpromptu items such as larger balls, Sponge balls or flowers.

It is really up to you and to what you like and can deliver well, within the parameters of how you perform. The Sky really is the Limit on this subject...

Hope you figure it out!
Liam Ball MMC

www.w-k-m.co.uk

Not a belief - An Experience!
danielrmk
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of danielrmk
Those who can enter the restricted zone of the forum go check my post, the final load is a Stack of Poker chips, if anyone uses a gambling routine this might do the trick for you!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and balls, final load question........ (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL