The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Exposing a trick, sort of..... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Whitewolfny
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Whitewolfny
I'm sure most of you are familiar with the What's Next trick from Tenyo. You have a large card with a single dot on it, turn it over it has four on the other side, turn it over again there are three dots and so forth.

I'd like to print up playing card size versions of the trick. No other gimmics attached, just the basic pattern of dots on each side. I want to use it as a give away at birthday parties or other children type events. I'd still use the Tenyo card myself to "teach" the kids how to work the card and of course in the process of teaching the kids, my card has more spots from time to time.

My thought is that with the basic presentation of the trick, you show how the spots are printed on the card. So is there a problem with handing out a small version of the card with that pattern of dots? Of course the card would also have my name, address, and phone number for contact.

Am I exposing a trick where part of the routine is to expose the trick?
Braxton Mannar
<BR>Just an old dog trying to learn new tricks Smile
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Have at it.

It is doing part of the presntation and that being said what are you realy exposing?

Jim
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Trestkon
View Profile
New user
Canada
94 Posts

Profile of Trestkon
I say go for it. I mean, Mark Wilson's Sucker Torn and Restored napkin involves an "explaination" of how it's done, which includes finger-palming, but even so, you could finger palm to death in the rest of your tricks and nobody would notice.

A bit of a different idea, but same general point:p
-Larry
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
AAAAARGH! NOOOOOOO! EXPOOOOOOOOSURE! This will absolutely KILL magic for all time!

BTW, isn't it exposure ... of a sort ... even to tell people you're going to show them a "trick"?
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
The question isn't really about exposure, but more about "public domain." do you have the right to do what you want with that particular trick?

s
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Exposing a trick, sort of..... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL