The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Small Production (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jared Sherlock
View Profile
Loyal user
Indiana
245 Posts

Profile of Jared Sherlock
Hey Guys,

I am not even sure If I am going to accept the job as it is of limited and short notice, however I thought I would consult our little community here for any thoughts before I scrap it.

At our school, being and Irish school, tradition and pride, spirit are valued more than anything else. (As with many schools) However, here during the week of homecoming the different classes frosh, soph, juniors and seniors compete for something called the spirit stick. Through different activities, sporting events and requirements over 2 weeks the classes are graded and judged by administration. At the end of the 2 weeks the one delcared with the most spirit is awarded the school spirit stick for the rest of the year and is a symbol of the classes pride for the school and of course spirit.

The stick its self is a wood stick approx. a ft long and un porportional (The technical or native name of the type of stick escapes me now) but is from ireland and holds a symbolism both for irish heretige (SP*) and for the death of 4 students of cathedral. GETTING TO THE POINT....

I was approached by the administration to produce the schools spirit stick at a full school rally in the basketball arena. This is schedule on the 6th of OCT and with such short notice gave them no promises and said I'd think of it. The only Ideas that came to mind was the idea of having it appear in an empty plexi glass case...not sure of how to be accomplished....It will need to not have very many if any angle problems as it will be surrounded.

If anyone has any input, I would love to hear it, if not it's no big deal...

Kindest Regards,

Jared Sherlock
magicleland
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of magicleland
Do the old up your sleeve deal works great for a wand.
zig zag illusion - $3,000
theater rental - $500
geting advice from othe magicians on the cafe - priceless
Seeker
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
578 Posts

Profile of Seeker
You could always do appear with the "stick." Maybe even do a Flame to Rose Idea. Where you light some flash rope and bam. Theres the "stick."
Only issue I see is the surronded part.

You don't have to get real technical with it.

WHats the weight of the stick? (Odd question but I have a few ideas)

If you were to use a plexy glass box for it to be produced in. You may have to use somthing...reflective.

PM me and we can bounce ideas back and forth.
-Jacob
I've been training these cards since they were small.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Pull it out of a tiny change purse - cheap and effective.
Jared Sherlock
View Profile
Loyal user
Indiana
245 Posts

Profile of Jared Sherlock
Thanks for the input everyone, I have spent the evening discussing it and I beleive we have a solution for it to appear in the box. Unfortunately the purse and sleeve productions would be weak and innapropriate for this piece. However they would be a bit easier... Smile

Jared
joegow
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of joegow
How long is the stick?
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2006-09-15 11:30, Jared Sherlock wrote:
The stick its self is a wood stick approx. a ft long and un porportional.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
dbearden
View Profile
Regular user
Oneonta, AL
102 Posts

Profile of dbearden
What about having one made up using the principle of the appearing 10 ft. pole? You didn't say if it had to be the exact same pole that would be used for whatever it is you are going to do, but that would be a great way to do it....could produce it from just about anything. The one I use actually looks like a wooden pole, even from a fairly close distance.....there would be no problems with being surrounded, either.....you could produce it from just about anything you wanted to. It's always pretty cool to have the thing appear from something that is obviously too small to hold it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Small Production (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL