The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Multi Pocket Vest (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
I came across this vest accidently. It is meant for Dad's to carry all the stuff necessary to take care of their little ones while Mom is off having fun, I guess. Smile

I think it look's pretty cool, and it has plenty of pockets that may be useful to Magi. Make sure you check out the 'window' pocket. My wheels are already turning. Smile

http://www.diaperbagcentral.com/site/1568017/product/D-101

Rich
LeeDillingham
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
263 Posts

Profile of LeeDillingham
It's cheap but not very formal. You would be very limited as to where this could be worn professionally. Any good men's tailor can make a custom vest for you with all of the pockets you would ever want. I recently had one made for about $150.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
I agree Lee.

One of my restaurants is quite casual so I may be able to get away with the black vest,as long as the rest of my outfit is sharp.

Also,I may just get this for some social situations.

Best.
Rich
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Any thoughts as to comparison to the Daytona Magic vests?
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
LeeDillingham
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
263 Posts

Profile of LeeDillingham
The Daytona vest is a basic vest with lots (and lots) of pockets. I have one. There are so many pockets that I usually can not remember where everything is. It also does not fit me as well as my tailor made vests.

My tailor-made vests, have four pockets in the front (2 low and 2 high). Inside, I have 1 pocket on each side capable of holding jumbo cards. These vests have served me well for many years. I can wear them with a tuxcedo or with jeans.
SeanD13
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, RI
263 Posts

Profile of SeanD13
Does anyone know if you there is a pattern for a vest avalable anywhere? I would love to make one, but I would need a pattern to follow.

Any help would be great.

Thank you,
SeanD13
Have you hugged a Cup Junkie lately?

Learn more at www.CupsCon.com
"If We Build It Will you Come?"
Foxbiz
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
208 Posts

Profile of Foxbiz
SeadD13, go to any fabric store and ask for a pattern! I think it is Butterick that has so many patterns for all types of clothes.
Lynn Fox
ALLEN TIPTON
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of ALLEN TIPTON
What has always worried me is the amount of magicians who buy those multi pocketed waistcoats.One had 28 another 32 pockets.Were these for carrying round a dealer's stock of packet tricks?? I always imagined a performer saying, "Now here is my 3 Card Monte. No it' my Ambitious card, here's ..no it's my rubber band trick etc. etc. etc. and 26 pockets later he finds it.Could be a funny gag at Conventions.
HOW many tricks do you guys carry around for an Act. Surely you don't perform much more than 10/12 mins. per table.
In the UK most magicians work just from the pockets. Or a gentleman's 'handbag' if you need more bulky things. This is a plain leather bag in black or brown leather approx. 7 or 8 inches by 5 or 6 inches. looks smart and is acceptable anywhere. It's a gentleman's mini holdall if you like.
I loved Jim Klein's 'Close Up Carrier'This was made in a durable black fabric with separate pockets for coins, cards, a wand, etc. It slips into any inside pocket so is interchangeable with any jacket..no sewing in. Imagine a piece of strong card/plastic, covered in black which acts as a flap that slides into your pocket,. The carrier is part of this and hangs down on the outside of the pocket. NO bulges. Easy to reach in and select what you want. It retailed here at £12:50 which is about $8 over there.
I bought it because I loved Jim's Mortimer Magic Magazine and am still trying to find Issues 1 and 11..if you hear of any going guys.
Allen Tipton
Allen Tipton began magic at 9.Joined Staffs. Magic Soc at 14. President 8 times Guild Of Magicians Nottingham UK IBM member.1980 reproduced Dante's Show & made Magician Of Month by IBM Intern.President.Currently writing Dear Magician series in Abra magazi
ALLEN TIPTON
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of ALLEN TIPTON
One of my lectures, two years ago was 'An Act From The Pockets' There were 20 effects demonstrated in the lecture and 60 more listed for our Guild members to absorb.And no you didn't use all 20 or all the 6o! The Act could be Close Up or Stand Up or Cabaret.
If any of you guys would like a copy of the list please e mail me at
allen@tipton27.wanadoo.co.uk
and I'll send you a copy. You may have to ask about some of them but many have a short synopsis of the effect with the title.
Allen Tipton
UK
Allen Tipton began magic at 9.Joined Staffs. Magic Soc at 14. President 8 times Guild Of Magicians Nottingham UK IBM member.1980 reproduced Dante's Show & made Magician Of Month by IBM Intern.President.Currently writing Dear Magician series in Abra magazi
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The more I work, the less I carry.

For strolling I can work easily out of my jacket pockets, inside breast pockets, two vest pockets and my trousers pockets. I can actually carry an hour's entertainment in those pockets.

The more entertaining you are the less stuff you have to carry.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
I'm working on increasing the entertainment-to-props ratio, and wonder if you Old Hands could expand your answers a bit?

I can handle a room of 100 cocktail guests for an hour or so, but if a client calls and wants three hours of Magic for 150 guests, it makes me nervous. 50 persons per hour means 5 shows of 10-12 minutes, and -- with mingling -- I'm concerned about overlap and inadvertent repeats (stalkers trying to catch me at something sneaky are another topic...). Thus, I tend to be one of those Magi with bulging pockets full of props.

This thread has been helpful in reducing this problem with my waistline, and I look forward to further input. Thanks in advance, Magi Smile

Leland
hiwese1
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of hiwese1
I agree that you don't have to carry a lot. Just know how to prioritize and you should be fine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Multi Pocket Vest (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL