The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Killer mentalism for a card guy! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Hansen
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
653 Posts

Profile of Hansen
Hi guys,
I'm basically a card guy, but I would like to learn one really strong, knock-their-socks-off mentalism effect. Something quick and powerful. Something that I could use to really fry people in between card effects.
What do you recommend and where can I find it?
Cheers,
Jason
P.S. I already know and love Richard Osterlind's Breakthrough Card System but I'm looking for something different...
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1421 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
The Outlaw Wallet
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Read Annemann Smile
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Check out the boris wild deck -- you can start religions with this thing in conjunction with BCS!
xxx
Trestkon
View Profile
New user
Canada
94 Posts

Profile of Trestkon
Kolossal Killer. In it's simplest form, spectators name a card, and you pull it out of your wallet. No slights or gimmicks, just pure amazement :-D
-Larry
Hansen
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
653 Posts

Profile of Hansen
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm 'googling' all your recommendations to learn more about them so as to choose the 'perfect one' for my act.
But what I'm really after is something that doesn't involve cards at all. A complete change of pace during my regular card set. Something to add variety and pure bamboozlement (let's face it, when it comes to pure bamboozlement, mentalism effects are hard to beat).
I'm after something for the spectator that thinks "These card tricks are great but it's all just sleight of hand..". Then POW! Here's a mentalism quickie for you to blow your socks off!
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
3024 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Man ... I have to suggest my own Ex Nihilo. Are there others? Sure, but I think this is a good one and right up your alley.
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
759 Posts

Profile of leondo
"Mini Deck" by Larry Becker.
Be ready to pick up some socks!
Thank me later.....
Ted L
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1394 Posts

Profile of Piers
Tossed Out Deck.
BCS
Memorised Deck...

Piers.
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2021!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
EVENT
View Profile
Regular user
Israel
170 Posts

Profile of EVENT
Cassandra Deck
Smoke (DB)
Believe

Cheers,
Tom.
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
974 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
I love "ESPerfect" by Peter Nardi.

btw.: anyone who comes to the Oktorberfest here in Munich? It started two hours ago
for information check http://www.oktoberfest.de
People from all over the world are coming (America, England, Australia, Italy, France, Japan...)
If you're coming let me know, I would love to meet you guys
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Didn't anyone read Hansen's post? He's looking for NON card effects.

Hansen: Look up Banacheck's PK Time.

- entity
Josh Zandman
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of Josh Zandman
Stigmata by Wayne Houchin.
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
Hansen never stated that he requested non card effects, just a really strong mentalism effect.

Hansen: You might want to look up mentalism effects which are merely card magic with different themes and patter. For example, the invisible deck could easily represent the magician's ability of prediction.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5473 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Quote:
On 2006-09-16 00:01, Hansen wrote:

What I'm really after is something that doesn't involve cards at all. A complete change of pace during my regular card set.

Just setting the record straight. Smile
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Toaster-- Read his posts again.

- entity
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
759 Posts

Profile of leondo
"Mini Deck" above does not use a deck of cards.
For what it's worth....
Ted L
Hansen
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
653 Posts

Profile of Hansen
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. Keep them coming! I'm looking into each and every one to decide which one best suits my act.
Cheers,
Jason
P.S. I remember in a David Blaine special he asked someone to think of a number between 1 and 1000. Blaine then said 333 and the guy confirmed that was indeed the number he was thinking of. Pot-shot fluke or a wonderful effect? If it's the latter, where can I learn it?
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Really think you have to walk before you can run.Mentalism is about so much more than throwing some off the shelf effect into your act.
I'd recommend 13 Steps as the best introduction.
Blackwood
View Profile
Special user
Mind-Play
528 Posts

Profile of Blackwood
How's this for splitting the difference. Do an ESP card effect. Still in your specialty, but now it has a psychic theme.

My recommendation would be "Bob's Your Uncle" from Doug Dyment in his Mind Sights book. Simple, simple, simple. If you can do the (I believe) second move taught in the Royal Road, you can match a spectators choices 100% of the time (or sometimes just 3 out of 5, if you want to look really authentic.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Killer mentalism for a card guy! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL