The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Killer mentalism for a card guy! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
r1z08
View Profile
Inner circle
1157 Posts

Profile of r1z08
I am really surprised that no one has suggested this, but Derren Brown's "The Devil's Picturebook" DVD is incredible for Cardicians and Mentalists alike. If you are looking to do Mentalism work with cards, I highly suggest this DVD for some beautiful and hard hitting effects.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5413 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
What I think is even more important is the method you choose to segue from your card act into a mental effect. I would highly, HIGHLY recommend that you research Dai Vernon's advice as given in his Vernon Touch column from Genii, v. 33 no. 8, 1969 (quoted here from the book "The Vernon Touch"). He said, "As far as mixing a mental trick with other tricks, if you want to sell it as real mentalism, you'll have a hard job. [Don't] suddenly change [in the middle of your act] and say that you're a mind reader, because they'll assume it's done by trickery anyway, because they know you're a magician. But if you really give them a convincing talk, and are sincere about it, and change the whole atmosphere, you might have some people who are gullible enough to really believe that they're witnessing real [mentalism]. But it's very difficult. You have to really sell it to the audience. You just can't throw it on without some explanation of why you're doing it."

Incidentally... buy this book (The Vernon Touch).
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1024 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Hansen, I encourage to experiment with mental/psychic effects in your act. If Coperfield can put a mental effect into his act, no reason you shouldn't be able to do the same.

Two effects that I like are The Haunted Key and "Red Sportscar" which utilizes the Blockbuster wallet. I get great reactions with both effects.

See ya!
Joe L.
Ugly $5 Report is GOLD!

Grab your copy now:
https://makequickcashonlinenow.co.business
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8824 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On 2006-09-16 00:04, ALEXANDRE wrote:
Man ... I have to suggest my own Ex Nihilo. Are there others? Sure, but I think this is a good one and right up your alley.

Ordered this download yesterday and still no sign of it.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Think Pink, the Complete Edition, by Ran Pink will give you a single technique that you can play a dozen ways as the moment dictates. No gaffs, gimmicks, always ready, etc.

Osterlind's PCT and Bernstein's are also solid and reliable, but with less leeway in execution, if that would be a consideration to you.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
I would say Vernon is wrong.

If one is a good enough mentalist it makes no difference.

However he was looking at it from the vantage point of a magician.

So from his side of being a magician and just presenting tricks I can see his point.
One must be able to rise above the tricks or trancend their cheapness.

One way to do that is to become natural.

I often do The Invisible Palm during strolling gigs and then turn around and do My numerology presentation (As some of you know I use cards in my numerology presentation) and people have no problem handling the idea that I am both a Paranormalist and a Magician.

One is real and the other is a fun divertion.

J ack

H.O.a-X
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
CharlieC
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of CharlieC
I'm a card guy that only does a couple of mentalism items.

One of them is Mindcast by Scott Grossberg. It's awesome! Check out the long thread about it here.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......9&44
"Whenever he gets in a fix he reaches into his bag of tricks.
Felix the cat, the wonderful, wonderful cat..."
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5413 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Jim,
Vernon was simply stating that a cardician would have difficulty switching from a card routine to a mentalism routine with any sense of credibility without first appropriately setting the stage, and recognizing the fact that he is a cardician presenting a mentalist's effect. It makes perfect sense, from a performance esthetic. A cardician launching into a mentalist's effect without reason draws more attention to the "trick," and makes it easier for the audience to lose sight of the magical aspect of the overall routine. I cannot stress enough the importance of researching the reference material. Those that have read (or are in the process of reading) the Vernon Chronicles will know exactly what I am talking about. For those in the dark, I apologize for the cryptic reference and encourage you to seek out the source.
Tony Curtis
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1580 Posts

Profile of Tony Curtis
Kolossal Killer is a great effect and can be found at the following websites.

Tony Curtis

http://www.wonderwizards.com
http://www.alakazam.co.uk
http://www.martinbreese.com
http://www.topsecretmagic.co.uk
http://www.tonycurtismagic.com
www.tonycurtismagic.com
New & Preowned Magic Wagon Effects
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Magicguy,

Then as I stated Vernon and I were and are in agreement in that case.

Best Wishes

Jim
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3362 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Tony,
It's a real pity that your kollosal killer wallets are only available as part of Kenton's recent re-re-release. I have been delighted with your Heirloom wallet and would certainly have purchased a new wallet with the slight KK modification if it was available as a stand alone item.
I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Mind_Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
The Sunshine State USA
1239 Posts

Profile of Mind_Magic
I must agree with ALEXANDRE, his Ex Nihilo is a devil, original, easy and powerful method...
I'm happy that no too much Magicians knows about it because I can fool them.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3362 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Hmm. Can't say I was overly impressed with Ex Nihilo. It was exactly what I suspected and is really something of a step backwards.
Faulkner
View Profile
Loyal user
New Orleans
249 Posts

Profile of Faulkner
Cards + Mentalism = Chan Canasta

I am suprised noone mentioned his name.
Carlos the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1234 Posts

Profile of Carlos the Great
My recommendation is a bit more "off-the-topic" than some others but I got the idea from the excellent Mind Mysteries series, so there you go.

Do an effect where a card has been written down on a post-it pad by a spectator (i.e., any of a million and one card location effects), heck, it could be Kolossal Killer at this point anyway. Then proceed with a torn and restored post-it a la Osterlind in the Mind Mysteries series. It is a nice break, it stays related to your show (in a way that an effect such as PK time or touches would not), it is very visual, and you don't have to go through the "extra" step of having a random post-it signed.

At least that is what I would do, lol.

-Carlos
Cognite tute
optimystik
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of optimystik
I don't think it has been mentioned yet but "Out Of This World" really does blow people away if done properly.

A true classic that withstands the test of time.

It's not a quickie but is effective.

If you are not familiar with the effect you have to see it performed first before reading method.

I've seen some comments on the Café by those who have read the secret before seeing it performed and dismiss the effect act simple.

If learning method before seeing effect it does not seem impressive at all.

However, one who does not know the secret is completely baffled and can simply not discern any possible explanation. It truly appears unbelievable.

Stephen
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
I think that the original poster asked for something by way of Mentalism that he could do BETWEEN card effects.

- entity
optimystik
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of optimystik
Thanks Entitiy,

Yes,

Youre right. he said "in between card effects".

I believe if you look through the Max Maven video's you'll have lots of cool stuff to choose from that will fit in between card effects.

There are several effects without any cards at all...and there are effects with cards...but not poker cards.
ESP cards and others that may fit in but still be a bit different.

Stephen
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1313 Posts

Profile of bond19
You could try "Mental Yarn" at killer effect if done properly. NO PLAYING CARDS, just a direct one on one mind reading effect!!!
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Hmm, I think to perform a classic mentalism effect and then go back to standard card tricks is a little flawed in terms of routining.

I personally would stick to one or the other, However, to go from one to the other is not a problem, if done correctly. Start with card tricks, well done, but presented as nothing more than card tricks. Then offer to try something a little more intesnse, using their abilities. An OOTW presentation would be prefect here, I recommend wholeheartedly Galaxy.

Essentially, you want to have a bridge from cards to mentalism. To leap from one to the other then back shows no thought to structure or routining.

From OOTW, where you have shown a very different sort of effect, then I personaly think it is possible to perform a couple of strong mentalism effects, to show them what can be possible if you continued performing. But after this to a card effect I feel is illogical.

Simon

PS agreed, mentalism should not be performed as an off the shelf trick - this will not 'blow them away' as you put it, they will think it is another trick. It should be built up to, and presentation is everything. As stated above, Corinda and Annemann are the places to start.
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Killer mentalism for a card guy! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL