The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Killer mentalism for a card guy! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Simon:

How about your sequence, and then if Hansen wants to segue back into cards, he can do Kennedy's Mind Power Deck? Powerful stuff!
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Final Leap...

Nuff said...

seek out Jim Callahan's work...
xxx
Danik1
View Profile
Regular user
Saint-Eustache, Canada
184 Posts

Profile of Danik1
I'm very surprised noboby mentionned "DEVASTATION" by Geoff Williams. It uses cards... it's self working ... It's powerfull. One of the (if not the) best mentalism effect that's totally impromtu out there. One of my favorites!

Danik
Omid
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel
332 Posts

Profile of Omid
When I first moved from card magic to mentalism, I found that quite a good deal of classical card tricks can be presented as mentalism. And for that matter, the simple ones actually work even better. Even Derren Brown in one effect used a rather simple card trick to create an amazing effect where he seemingly forces the other person to stop at the card he wants, and then to "freely" deal him a forced card.

Nowadays I have forgotten some of the more complicated card tricks I used to do, but the rather simple ones comes quite handy from time to time.
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
Rectifying my previous mistake of selective reading:

I believe Nick Trost has a booklet called "Mentalism with Cards" that was awesome.
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Arnon, absolutely, I think that would be very strong, especially with Derren's Smoke - I think that combines mentalism and magic quite beautifully.

I think to use card tricks in mentalism is not an issue, as long as you have some stringent rules. I personally only do one, maybe two card effects, and they must be very hands off - so BCS, Mind Power deck, etc etc. If you are following card tricks, then this is even more important in my opinion.

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
thoughtsexplorer
View Profile
Elite user
Elite... not D-Lite!
424 Posts

Profile of thoughtsexplorer
Question: should a complete deck of cards be needed?

a lot of you have mentioned Kolossal Killer.
but is that really (really!?) convincing?
if I was a spectator asked to think of a card, I'd like to see
the magician's exact prediction, nothing else.
why not make the statement clear? (only the ESP prediction):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuOL5QQGzjQ
we know that it can be done with "normal" cards, too, even with a full deck
(typical magician's thinking: "...better effect with a full deck than only using 5 cards...").
think about it.
just an idea.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
The Phil Deck.

John
BERMINI
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of BERMINI
Si Stebbins stack will open the door for multiple effects.
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Bermini - indeed. But I think the BReakthrough Card system is even more effective.

Never really got on with KK - personally I don't think it is strong enough. I think the ID is probably the best card prediction you can do. Or, you can do away with cards altogether and just make them think of a card....

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
For some unknown reason this thread has turned into 'good mentalism with cards' insted of the intended 'good mentalism WITHOUT cards inbetween card magic effects'

The guy wants to do some mentalism as a break from card effects during his set

I would get away from anything to do with cards whatsoever - even if you use an ESP deck the audience will just assume the effect used just 'more sleight of hand' as you had already demonstrated using a pack of cards

Why not just do something really simple on scraps of paper - like a three stage one ahead with a psychological force for the force item.
bronx
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of bronx
How about some simple NW or PW effects? Or Center Tear. Sometimes the simplest, quickest routines can be the most devastating. From what I read, the original question here was about non card mentalism routines. I'd check some of Osterlind's work. There's a ton of it out there. Thought Scan is quite powerful and can be a pretty long routine. As is anything involving his PCT.

Just a thought....

b
Carlos the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1234 Posts

Profile of Carlos the Great
Hansen,

See Psychologial Subtleties for effects similar to the one where somebody thought of a 3-digit number, etc.

I've given this some thought and I think the reason I haven't listed more effects for you is that I don't know what your set is like. A small "change of direction" break is great but, IMHO, there should still be some sort of thematic link (even if you make it up yourself through patter and routining). This could be especially effective if the effect could bridge between two card effects.

What kind of effects would be on either side of the effect you are looking for? What kind of effects total in your set?

-Carlos
Cognite tute
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Killer mentalism for a card guy! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL