The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The Thing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
I've been using it a few months now. I have used it at children's parties and for family shows. It does get a great reaction, especially if it darts out at the audience, or even over their heads.

I don't think it will replace my Losander table for stage shows. But for smaller shows, it's great, highly portable, and has zero set-up time.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
For a guy that is not too much into "making things" (no pun intended, until I realized it was punny!), would you guys/gals recommend buying the thing, or the purchasing the DVD and making the thing?

Is there any advantage to making it? Is there anything in the purchased version that you all think isn't required? In other words, is the box a good one; or if I make it, is there a better box I could use?

Thanks,

John
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
John,
All I can say is the "purchased" version is a well made, professional prop.
With the "bells and whistles" of the DVD, photo sheet, music disk, etc.

I'm actually toying with making a version that custom fits my show, as I can be pretty compulsive, but I'm very happy to making my adjustments from using the actual props as a "template" of the whole package.

The materials sent are very nice, very usable, detailed, and it saves you all the trial and error of construction.

My two-cents,
Walt
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Walt:

That last post made me smile. Smile

Tony
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Alllll-Righty-Thennnn!

I’ve been busy, busy, busy working with “The Thing” to transform it into “My Thing”.

I wrote to Bill Abbott in case he was interested in the modifications I made to his work to bring it closer to my performing style and persona.

My intention was to create a version that *could* be used for family or even older children audiences, but which would mostly be appropriate for corporate events and upscale celebrations of all adults.

Mr. Abbott is considering releasing a book at some point in the future if he ever finds the time, sort of a “Best of the Thing”, so I won’t put my presentation and ideas in print here. But if anyone is curious and emails a private request, we may be able to trade ideas, and I could then share what I’ve come up with.

I have the good fortune to be working with a good friend and colleague David Hirata, performing a family-oriented holiday show in a theatre venue in mid December, and I’m going to see how this goes over with a live lay audience at that event.

One of the wonderful things about this magical creation is that it can be used “out of the box” and with enough practice, be a very effective piece, and it also lends itself to creative and original thinking, and extensive personalization.

Magically,
Walt
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
I have the Bubble Zombie foulard form Losander and am quite happy with this piece of well-made apparatus...

I'm not sure what the real difference is between the Thing and Losander's Bubble Zombie foulard and mechanism...

Can you basically present the same sort of "invisible ball" routine?

Does one have different performance/technical advantages over the other?

Insights are most welcome.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Jonathan,
Email me privately, and I'll send you info on differences and modifications to make Thing similar to Bubble, if that’s what you need.
Walt
MagicFingers
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, FL
230 Posts

Profile of MagicFingers
I am thinking of buying The Thing for a kids' show I have coming up. I think it would suit the kind of kids to whom I am playing.

However, would someone be so kind as to PM me and answer a couple of questions: I know what it is and how it works, but is there anything that makes it superior to, say, the Zombie? Are there any gimmicks which allow you to do things that Zombie could not in terms of handling?

Any advice would be appreciated - thanks.
Julian
Julian Bond
Musician / Magician
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
I'm still waiting on mine to arrive, but I think one of the big selling points is the fact that the gimmick is hidden so that you can pretty freely show under the foulard. Also, the fact that it appears to be a "mini-Zombie" under the foulard, but you show that there's nothing under there, adds to the mystery.
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116@yahoo.com
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Thanks for your very kind offer, Walt.

Sent you a PM with the following:

...At this point, I really do not seek to have all of the details on the Thing, in terms of how it’s made.

I am happy with Losander’s Bubble Zombie Foulard to create a routine with an invisible ball.

I was just curious to know if the two different products were similar in their ability to present a floating invisible ball.

Jonathan
Jonathan
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Hi Julian,

Do not buy it for an “upcoming party” as this piece takes a good deal of experimentation, practice, rehearsal, and mirror work.

It is not in any way “superior” to Zombie, nor was it meant to be. It is a variation to allow more impromptu performances. It is not innovative as far as handling.

Magically,
Walt
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Thanks for your PM, Walt!

Jonathan
Jonathan
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
My "Thing" jewelry box is front heavy...When I open it, it falls forward...
Anyone have the same problem?..
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Interesting, mine falls backward, my lid must be hinged to the opposite side....

Mine actually is on balancing point so sometimes tips when the cloth is over it. I made a simple base by cutting a square of hardboard a couple of inches bigger, each way, than the base of the box and stuck it to the bottom of the box. One thing I like to do with the box (I don't think this was on the dvd) is to have the thing shut the box; tell it to close the door and then having the lid shut by simply pushing up at the back with one of my thumbs. If you get the hand positioning and angles right it's quite effective.

Having said all that, I lost my box and now do the routine from my hat.

George
Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
I thought the box that came with it was hideously cheap and offensive...I had a jeweler make a wonderful box from glass and inlaid brass....looks great and fits the bill it would seem....
"Yes, Virginia, there really are people named Riddle...isn't that AMAZING! And to think of all the royalties I'm missing out on! SCANDALOUS!"

Thomas Williamson Riddle III
Chelsea, UK
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
The box I received is very nice, except for that tip over issue...I'm thinking
of a clever use of velcro on the bottom...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Once you begin to perform the THING you'll forget about the box. Don't use a cardboard box however they will think there is something inside it.

John
TheAstonishingLarry
View Profile
Regular user
I aspire to more than only
183 Posts

Profile of TheAstonishingLarry
The box I received with my Thing was a bit different than the one Mr. Abbott used in the DVD ... his was shorter and squattier and didn't tip. I found one at Target for about $5 that had glitter embedded in the acrylic ... still transparent, but "sparkly" ... and it's much more stable. I think it was intended as a make-up box for women.

Regards,
Larry
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." - Carl Sagan
Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
The effect of the Thing is truly beautiful, do not get me wrong, gentlemen! Especially Mr. Abbott, I love this effect, but also understand that one cannot expect to get the same quality box for the money you ask for this wonderful piece of magic. My box set me back over 100 pounds.
"Yes, Virginia, there really are people named Riddle...isn't that AMAZING! And to think of all the royalties I'm missing out on! SCANDALOUS!"

Thomas Williamson Riddle III
Chelsea, UK
Louis LaLaurie
View Profile
New user
New York, NY
79 Posts

Profile of Louis LaLaurie
Hello,
I am not known to this magic? Is there site with information? Bill Abbott is maker I guess from responses and looking here?
I am not new to street entertainment and magic for children at parties and schools, I am happy to be here. Please tell me what this trick is? Sounds mysterious to me.
Louis
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The Thing (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL