The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Overhand False Shuffle help! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

superphunk2
View Profile
New user
united kingdom
14 Posts

Profile of superphunk2
Hi,

Currently when using a stack I use an in-the-hands false riffle shuffle (the Hollingworth / Anderson shuffle. I'm looking to add a false overhand shuffle to my arsenal. To that end I've recently bought a copy of Steve Beam's Semi-Automatic Card Tricks Vol 3, which contains instructions for his 'Underhand Shuffle'. What I was wanting to know is, is this shuffle the same as Dan Garrett's 'Underhanded Overhand Shuffle', ? Also, does anyone know where I can get instructions for the Garrett shuffle?

Thanks,

Marcus
chappy
View Profile
Special user
743 Posts

Profile of chappy
The Garrett shuffle is taught in Stunners Plus. Also if you search the Café you will find a direct link to the original published version.
Dan Garrett is a member here on the Café so why not ask him directly.

Hope that helps

chappy
FARO FUNDAMENTALS, DETAILS OF DECEPTION and THE DEVIL'S STAIRCASE at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
Rael
View Profile
New user
Northern California
88 Posts

Profile of Rael
There is a nice "Underhanded Overhanded Shuffle" (not sure if it's a variation of Garrett's or the same) in the December 2004 (67,No.12) issue of Genii. It's simple and very deceptive.
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
Do you have to retain the whole deck stack, or just a certain number on the top?
Aim To Amaze
wilfr3d
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of wilfr3d
I think Joshua Jay's false overhand shuffle is pretty deceptive, even to magicians.
superphunk2
View Profile
New user
united kingdom
14 Posts

Profile of superphunk2
Thanks for all the help with this. I do actually have a copy of Stunners Plus, but hadn't got as far as the Garrett shuffle. The Garrett shuffle is an improvement on the G.W. Hunter shuffle, which is quite different to Steve Beams' shuffle.

To be perfectly honest I prefer Steve Beam's, although I think it'll take considerable work before I have it smooth enough to try in public. I saw on a video of it on Steve Beam's website, and when performed properly it looks great!

Incidentally, my requirement is for a full deck false shuffle.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Dan's shuffle technique can also be found in Daniel Rhod's 48 page booklet entitled "Techno Card Magic". It is also deceptive when done correctly.
Cardamagically,
<<<KRaZy4KaRdZ>>> Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
826 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
[quote]On 2006-09-23 02:06, chappy wrote:
The Garrett shuffle is taught in Stunners Plus. Also if you search the Café you will find a direct link to the original published version.
Dan Garrett is a member here on the Café so why not ask him directly.

Could you direct me to the page in Stunners Plus please. Is it the Charlier?
superphunk2
View Profile
New user
united kingdom
14 Posts

Profile of superphunk2
Bunkyhenry, the Garrett shuffle is on page 628 of Stunners Plus! It's a variation of the G.W. Hunter false shuffle.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5750 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2006-12-21 13:47, superphunk2 wrote:
Bunkyhenry, the Garrett shuffle is on page 628 of Stunners Plus! It's a variation of the G.W. Hunter false shuffle.

I learned it from the "Garrett Does the U.K" notes, if I recall right. I then learned the G.W. Hunter Shuffle, from Tarbell, and have been doing it ever since.
CAROLINI
View Profile
Special user
607 Posts

Profile of CAROLINI
Not familiar by name with the various shuffles mentioned. Mine with a deck in s* st****** order is actually just a series of cuts that looks exactly like an
overhand shuffle. I continue to do it as I introduce what I am about to do. I make know mention of the fact that I am shuffling the cards.
Will Gordon
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
124 Posts

Profile of Will Gordon
Lew Brooks False False Shuffle is pretty good. It will even smoke some magicians!
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8474 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Just answered this in a different thread - check out The Riffle-Diffle Shuffle and The Super Riffle-Diffle Shuffle in RIM SHOTS, if you can find a copy. HARRY LORAYNE.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Also check out "Expert Full Deck Overhand" in Apocalypse.

Best,
Vlad
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
There's a simple but very good false overhand shuffle explained on Steve Ehlers DVD: The Arizona Card Expert. Steve learned it from Roger Klause, but Roger things it might have come from Alex Elmsley.

Dennis Loomis

P.S. to Harry: will you be reprinting Rim Shots? Lot of good stuff in there that should be available.
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Tim Sutton
View Profile
Elite user
Tim Sutton AIMC, London UK
460 Posts

Profile of Tim Sutton
Don't know if this is helpful - I use Erdnase's second method, followed by a double undercut to restore the deck to original order.

Tim
Stephen Thompson
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Stephen Thompson
Here's my false shuffle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkrdiPmJw6U

I hope you like it.

S
kent1985
View Profile
Regular user
Perth (WA), Australia
148 Posts

Profile of kent1985
There's one in one of oz pearlman's dvd.. I love it.. and I use it all the time..
Magicmike1949
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of Magicmike1949
In addition to the above, check out Bob King's revision of an Erdnase overhand shuffle that is published in the back of Darwin Ortiz's Annotated Expert at the Cardtable.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Overhand False Shuffle help! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL