We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Dennis Loomis rope trick DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Dennis,
Give me some examples of what sort of jokes Bob Lewis told. I have an assortment of one liners that I want to use, but learning from others is what the Café is all about, and the two hand knot is what I've been trying now that I have your superior drapery cord to practice with.
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Al, Bob Lewis had a very unusual patter presentation. He told short jokes (one liners in the manner of Stephen Wright today.) None of them had anything to do with the snapping of knots in his hands. He would snap a knot, and then do the set up to the joke. As he did this, he would be sliding the knot down the rope to the end. Now the rope's a little shorter, so the next knot would be harder. Then, he'd give the punch line to the joke. That would bring a laugh. He'd then snap another knot, which would get a round of applause. Tell a Joke. Laugh. Snap a knot. Applause. Toward the end the rope is getting pretty short, and the last knot usually took several attempts to hit it, but when he did, he got a BIG round of applause.

Frankly, I don't remember most of the jokes, but here's one that I do recall: "Remember, no matter how popular you are, no matter how many friends you have, the size of your funeral's going to be pretty much determined by the weather."

Oh Yeah... here's another:

"As you go through life, always tell the truth. Always. That way, when you really need to tell a whopper some day....you can get away with it."

And, one more:
"If you have to help a friend move furniture, don't grab the heavy end and do a lot of strainin'. Grab the light end and do a lot of gruntin'."

He was not so much a joke teller or comedian as a Humorist. In the manner of Will Rogers. And that was very appropriate because Will Rogers, in his younger days, did tons of rope stuff. He was more of a lariat spinner and trick roper, but he did snap a knot in a rope. You'll see that on my DVD if you have it.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
I had the DVD on my watch list for a couple of weeks but have be busy with a lot of other things.

Today I broke open the DVD and was just amazed. For those of you who are die hard book guys, Trust me the DVD is priceless.

Knots Plus and fibre Optics are two great resources for some dynamite material with low cost props that have no reset and are readily available. They leave people with their mouth agape.
But then again, it's only "rope" and who would ever want to see something as boring as that. (Here pick a card... any card...LOL)
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Dennis Loomis rope trick DVD (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL